Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

It depends person to person for me. Honestly, most times someone is outed as having very opposite political views to me, it's someone I already didn't really like much (Raquel, Nia and Ryker spring to mind) so it's like "Oh, lol, just another reason not to like them".

That said, Jericho is republican and while it shook me that the man was pro-Trump, I'm still a big fan of his for everything he's done in the business. 

But it really depends what the particular belief is. Like... just being a generic republican, I don't agree but also don't care. Being Q-Anon, crazy anti-vax, racist/homophobic, etc... yeah, you're gonna lose me no matter how good you are lol.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty weird to some. A hill I’ll die on regardless for the most part. Like Jericho for example. Dude was one of my favorites. But I can not and will not accept certain comments as “all lives matter” in a grand scheme or race wars or racially charged murderers. There’s a certain thing called awareness and tact. That was my last straw with him, as an example. The rest is a trickle down effect. Hulk Hogan, the minute that audio came out I was done with him. Ric, one I saw that Teddy long shoot of him saying Flair called the N word I was done. The plane details which I genuinely didn’t know about was icing. You can pick and choose who you want to support or not support based on what you want. Can’t speak for everyone but for me, it’s what has to be done. For me. 

• 1 month later...

i’m kinda done with The Miz. he doesn’t do anything for me anymore, especially now with JoMo gone. he’s quickly reaching Matt Hardy level for me. appreciate what you’ve done but i think that’s enough

WWE should’ve did Benoit vs Eddie at WM 20. I get them both being champions and hugging at the end is special and etc. However the classic we would’ve gotten is worth it. Eddie and Angle was great but the ending was always flat to me. That wouldn’t have been a ending in a Benot vs Eddie match at Mania. Also, the build up would’ve been legendary. Best friends and rivals due to the title. Mirroring the culmination of a long ass amazing feud on Raw between Triple H and Shawn. They really should’ve ended that feud at Mania solo. Back to Eddie vs Benoit. They could’ve booked Angle in something. It would’ve just been a sacrifice for the greater good.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been giving it some thought over the past couple of months, and I think I prefer FTR/The Revival in WWE over AEW. 

I just liked their overall presentation, theme, names, gear, a lot more. Specifically in NXT. They were trash on the main roster. 

I think they’ve went too on the nose about them loving the 80’s era it kinda feels like a parody. And although they’re still an amazing tag team, none of their matches have been MOTYC to me besides their one match with the Bucks. 

So yeah, I’ll take their 2016-2017 Dash & Dawson days feuding with DIY & AA. 

They were untouchable in NXT.

NXT Revival > AEW FTR > Main Roster Revival

That said, I do like that they're in total throwback mode right now. I don't think it last forever, maybe until they separate from Pinnacle, or even a return feud with the Bucks could push em back into rough n tough mode, but I'm digging their gear, theme song, etc right now and I think it's gonna be something I look back on pretty fondly. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fight Me.

Definitely. If Matt had more freedom with his characters in WWE, he definitely would be talked about as much as his brother. His run as world champ in TNA as Big Money Matt was pretty great and that was before he even introduced the #BROKEN Universe stuff. He only got a tag title reign outta #BROKEN Matt but he and Jeff went on a damn tour collecting various promotions' titles, even ROH's. And it all lead to WWE wanting to bring them back at Mania. Dude was legit the hottest thing in wrestling just a few years ago, shame how much people couldn't care less about the AHFO currently.

I really thought Matt was getting a big push when he beat Jeff at Mania. Dude was out on RAW mocking Cena like 2 weeks later, and then jack shit happened.

Figured he could've slipped into a much better face spot against Punk that summer too.

There was a time when Matt was my favorite guy in WWE and it sucked seeing him consistently stuck in the midcard. Sucks even more knowing what kind of character work he was capable of the entire time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've come to terms with, and even thoroughly enjoy, the fact that WWE does the theatrics and grandeur better than anyone. I now watch WWE for the big juiced up looking titans throwing each other around and the insane theatrics and love it, and watch AEW and any indie I want for pure wrestling or insane spot fests. WWE does big fight feel better than anyone.

One of the reasons I can’t watch WWE anymore is because they treat you like an idiot by pretending like someone getting called up from NXT is a completely different person when they get a new name. Like, y’all literally broadcast NXT on the same channel as Raw, no, it’s not the same viewership, but it’s the same company the very next night. And you even got main roster guys appearing on there. But suddenly they’re just a completely different person with no explanation on Raw or SmackDown ? I can’t invest time into that shit anymore man. It’s so insulting. 

Who are you referring to? Because many of the recent call ups don’t act like they’re a completely different person. It’s just people who simply changed their name e.g. GUNTHER, Ludwig, Raquel, and BUTCH. Now, I’m not going to defend that. I think it’s stupid, especially in kayfabe, that they all suddenly want to refer themselves as something else now that they’re on a different brand. But they’re not meant to be new people or people with new personalities. And in fairness, in WALTER’s and Pete’s case, them changing their name was actually referred to or shown on TV.

I’m not acting like they did nothing to him. I’m pushing back at this assertion that’s he a “completely different person.” Which ain’t true. It’s the Bruiserweight gimmick turned into a children’s cartoon. He’s still the scrappy, sadistic fighter he was in NXT except now he cannot maintain any composure. It’s a less grounded version of what he was, but he’s fundamentally the same.

On 4/11/2022 at 5:59 PM, PaperThinWalls said:

I’m not acting like they did nothing to him. I’m pushing back at this assertion that’s he a “completely different person.” Which ain’t true. It’s the Bruiserweight gimmick turned into a children’s cartoon. He’s still the scrappy, sadistic fighter he was in NXT except now he cannot main any composure. It’s a less grounded version of what he was, but he’s fundamentally the same.

I honestly don’t know how you can look at “Butch” and say he’s the same fundamentally as Pete Dunne. I honestly feel like you just are contrarian to be contrarian to be honest because there’s no way you typed that, pressed send and actually believed what you said. “Butch” is nowhere near the Bruiserweight gimmick lmao. You do this with WWE takes, AEW takes, everything. No one just ever says anything about it because your position on the site. 

Edited by Bushy.

Wow. Instead of actually refuting what I said by, y’know, backing up your position with examples of how you think I’m wrong and maybe actually provide some clarity on the matter, you go on some lame, bs spiel about me. C’mon.

So please, refute. What am I missing here? Provide some clarity. How is Pete Dunne “a completely different person” now? Again, to me, the fundamental characteristics of Dunne is he’s sadistic. He’s scrappy. He’s tough. He’s a guy who is looking to fight and dismantle people. Is that not what he still is? The tone is different for sure. I’m not denying that. He’s a cartoon now. They took what he was and warped him into a caricature. But again, the core characteristics are mostly still there to me.