Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

Vince counteracts AEW in the same way you would counteract flies coming into your house. like they’re more than likely not gonna kill you but you’d rather not have them around and of course i don’t mean that as a slight to AEW but it’s the best analogy i can come up with.

i refuse to believe Vince is simply unaware of how fans feel about the product because that’s almost impossible. you don’t book Raw to be that consistently terrible in spite of fan feedback if you worried about competition. you don’t gut the most consistently solid show you have, again in spite of fan feedback, if you worried about competition. you don’t book an egregiously underwhelming Big 4 PPV including one of the worst moments all year 24 hours after the competition just managed to pull off one of the biggest moments in wrestling history if you worried about competition.

as long as shareholders make their bread there’s no reason for them to worry. WWE won’t kill itself no matter how hard it tries. all AEW can do is just keep putting out quality and keep expanding and they may surpass WWE but Vince will likely be dead by then.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WWE's best shot at killing AEW is going with the 80s/90s style of showmanship again. Its very clear the larger than life, big meaty men fighting is more popular in mainstream overall than AEW's style. WWE took a big hit trying the indie style and getting out done, but Roman Reigns vs John Cena, Reigns vs Brock, and generally just dudes that look like super heroes draw so much more attention to the normal person and WWE does it so well. People absolutely love the exact wrestlers WWE wants, taller than 6'2" and looking juiced out of their minds

5 hours ago, EJ! said:

Vince counteracts AEW in the same way you would counteract flies coming into your house. like they’re more than likely not gonna kill you but you’d rather not have them around and of course i don’t mean that as a slight to AEW but it’s the best analogy i can come up with.

i refuse to believe Vince is simply unaware of how fans feel about the product because that’s almost impossible. you don’t book Raw to be that consistently terrible in spite of fan feedback if you worried about competition. you don’t gut the most consistently solid show you have, again in spite of fan feedback, if you worried about competition. you don’t book an egregiously underwhelming Big 4 PPV including one of the worst moments all year 24 hours after the competition just managed to pull off one of the biggest moments in wrestling history if you worried about competition.

as long as shareholders make their bread there’s no reason for them to worry. WWE won’t kill itself no matter how hard it tries. all AEW can do is just keep putting out quality and keep expanding and they may surpass WWE but Vince will likely be dead by then.

That part. All of it.

5 hours ago, The Nerd said:

The plan was always to bring back Brock around the summer though? Lol 

You know this how ? 

Why didn’t he face Lashley then ? What PPV are Roman & Brock supposed to face off then ? Extreme Rules ? 

2 hours ago, The Nerd said:

They’re still in business with them? Ew.

They make Millions with the deal and the WWE on the inside isnt this big of a family that stands for the good in the world.
They exploit their workers, take blood money and are willing to do everything for profit...taking the Saudi money is a easy decision for them.

13 hours ago, Mani-Man said:

They make Millions with the deal and the WWE on the inside isnt this big of a family that stands for the good in the world.
They exploit their workers, take blood money and are willing to do everything for profit...taking the Saudi money is a easy decision for them.

It’s gross. But to each is own. 

• 2 weeks later...

after watching All Out i fully understand the direction WWE is going in now with NXT. at this point they know exactly what AEW is and now WWE is the one trying to provide an alternative. how much less of a headache is it for them to get unknown wrestlers with no prior following and mold them how they want rather than having to deal with fans booing their desired stars in favor of the indy darlings being used to put those stars over? most the fuel of the Yes! movement was made up of people who appreciated Bryan for who he was and where he came from and what it meant to be where he was at the time. WWE doesn’t want that shit again. they don’t wanna feel obligated to give certain people opportunities and shine just because the fans know them from somewhere else.

so i get it and i’m willing to see where it goes. i just hate that the change in direction has hurt people. they got good people at the PC so maybe it won’t take too long for new stars to be developed but i do predict things being rough for a little while.

Its not hard to understand that they want to have full control over the wrestlers and never want the fans to hijack anything ever again.
Is it dumb as hell? Sure it is, but its understandable.
They want 100% a product that they control, nothing organic or so...they are this controlling for better or worse.

If that will work? We will see.
One thing about wrestling is that despite its nature, its unpredictable in terms of how the fans react, trying to fight that with claws and teeth can backfire  a lot.

17 hours ago, EJ! said:

after watching All Out i fully understand the direction WWE is going in now with NXT. at this point they know exactly what AEW is and now WWE is the one trying to provide an alternative. how much less of a headache is it for them to get unknown wrestlers with no prior following and mold them how they want rather than having to deal with fans booing their desired stars in favor of the indy darlings being used to put those stars over? most the fuel of the Yes! movement was made up of people who appreciated Bryan for who he was and where he came from and what it meant to be where he was at the time. WWE doesn’t want that shit again. they don’t wanna feel obligated to give certain people opportunities and shine just because the fans know them from somewhere else.

so i get it and i’m willing to see where it goes. i just hate that the change in direction has hurt people. they got good people at the PC so maybe it won’t take too long for new stars to be developed but i do predict things being rough for a little while.

Actually I think it's also more the fact that they've had success in building their own Stars becoming household names well the Indy stars when they come in they don't become household names you didn't have so anyone on the roster that reached Cena level popularity or recognition or anyone close to it

I think Vince knows that one time aw is going to take it too far because aw is already been giving up a lot of bad friends from the Matt Hardy situation to the recent death match with dominance and they're losing sponsorship with Domino's I think WWE knows how eventually aw is going to take it too far

2 hours ago, Austin3035 said:

Actually I think it's also more the fact that they've had success in building their own Stars becoming household names well the Indy stars when they come in they don't become household names you didn't have so anyone on the roster that reached Cena level popularity or recognition or anyone close to it

why do you say this is the talent’s fault? like their innately unable to become household names? i don’t buy that the largest machine in the wrestling world simply couldn’t make those guys stars. this is the same company that made Cena a household in spite of the reactions he was getting. if WWE wanted, any one of those talents they let go could have been absolutely huge. they just didn’t want to because no matter how much things have changed, they still have their preferred type of star.

anyone who’s over in AEW could be just as over in WWE if WWE made the effort. 

43 minutes ago, EJ! said:

why do you say this is the talent’s fault? like their innately unable to become household names? i don’t buy that the largest machine in the wrestling world simply couldn’t make those guys stars. this is the same company that made Cena a household in spite of the reactions he was getting. if WWE wanted, any one of those talents they let go could have been absolutely huge. they just didn’t want to because no matter how much things have changed, they still have their preferred type of star.

anyone who’s over in AEW could be just as over in WWE if WWE made the effort. 

Booking is only 50%, the rest are has to make the other 50% they have to connect the crowd most of the Indy guys couldn't connect with the crowd of casual fans even when they're booked well and

some of them didn't have the it Factor that they needed to reach that next level Daniel Bryan is probably the closest but Cena had it all

Cole they never moved up so it's hard to say with him whether he would have made it or not I think he would have on the main roster but they never gave him a shot on the main roster

It's very easy to get over with the hardcore fan base it's very hard to get over with the casual fan which is who you need to go over with if you want to be the mega star

Plus a lot of the guys aren't willing to do the work backstage and get them pushed like the promotion and production like Cena was known for anything they were asking him you would do and you Indy guys aren't used to that

Edited by Austin3035

23 hours ago, Austin3035 said:

Booking is only 50%, the rest are has to make the other 50% they have to connect the crowd most of the Indy guys couldn't connect with the crowd of casual fans even when they're booked well and

some of them didn't have the it Factor that they needed to reach that next level Daniel Bryan is probably the closest but Cena had it all

Cole they never moved up so it's hard to say with him whether he would have made it or not I think he would have on the main roster but they never gave him a shot on the main roster

It's very easy to get over with the hardcore fan base it's very hard to get over with the casual fan which is who you need to go over with if you want to be the mega star

Plus a lot of the guys aren't willing to do the work backstage and get them pushed like the promotion and production like Cena was known for anything they were asking him you would do and you Indy guys aren't used to that

can you give me an example of some indy guys who were booked well and didn’t connect? i think you’ll find most weren’t given much of a chance rather than most of them coming up short

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the picking & choosing of who we support based on their closed door political and social stances is pretty weird. Yes, we can all love a good guy like Mick Foley, or someone of the other who post good, morale messages, but if that’s the case, you might as well cancel every company because the higher ups support or endorse someone you don’t like. Even think about how many musical artists you love that do things you don’t support. Or movie directors. Actors. I can go on. 

I think social media has just made it easy to highlight the bad apples, especially if they make their questionable views public, but what are you going to do ? Not support any wrestler who doesn’t agree with you ? Unless it becomes a big public issue, think of like a Drake Wuertz thing, I really try my best to turn it off when enjoying my content.