Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

WWE's entire presentation right now makes it so freaking easy to slip into background noise. I'm not sure if it's the lack of crowds, or how overly polished it all feels, but it's just hard to pay attention to their product, even when it's actually pretty good.

Was doing my weekly NXT viewing, and my attention just keeps slipping to something else, which rarely happens when I watch Dynamite. Something about that mildly grittier presentation just makes it easier to watch.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i’ll go ahead and say if we get a few more months of this, Roman can throw his name in the ‘best in the world’ conversation. to me, being the best is being great at all the wrestling fundamentals but turning it up when the lights are brightest and being consistent. a wrestler can be great, but can’t be considered the best until they’re in the most important matches on the card (obviously not up to them) and delivering every time. of course there’s no concrete answer as to who is the best in the world, but being in the debate is the award.

Roman’s got it going man. selling, psychology, execution, it’s all there. just need a few more months of longevity before he can be thrown in there. same goes to Kenny, and based on this criteria, i’m not mad at someone mentioning Drew currently in there as well.

It seems to me that Impact still exists for the same reason that MLW does. The people who manage the product have resources from other ventures, and the wrestling side of things is truly a labor of love. Otherwise, yeah...I don't know how you could afford to pay the talents and keep the lights on with just a youtube channel or twitch stream.

• 4 weeks later...

As usual, I haven't been watching Raw or SD...so, it's hard for me to judge the camera stuff. I did see the one gif of Apolo Crews on twitter, though...and it looked like a teaser for 2K22. Lol. I honestly don't hate it. Maybe it's worse when you are trying to watch the full show...but, I kinda like forced perspective of it. I find it interesting any time that a camera can completely change the way we perceive something. Kinda reminds me of that one setting on televisions that makes all the acting in shows and movies seem really fake and bad. I don't remember what the setting itself is called...but, I distinctly remember getting a new tv years ago and being like "Oh god...why does it look like this!"...I had to go into the settings and found some option to turn it off. It went beyond anything graphical and bordered on forced perspective. Really weird stuff. Makes me want to learn more about the human brain.

1 hour ago, Fight Me. said:

I wonder what it looks like for people with 8K. But yeah, for the rest of us, it's pretty shit lmao

No one should be seeing it in true 8K since neither FOX or WWE broadcast in 8K anywhere as far as I know. It's all down-converted to a lower resolution.

1 hour ago, Generations said:

Kinda reminds me of that one setting on televisions that makes all the acting in shows and movies seem really fake and bad. I don't remember what the setting itself is called...but, I distinctly remember getting a new tv years ago and being like "Oh god...why does it look like this!"...I had to go into the settings and found some option to turn it off. It went beyond anything graphical and bordered on forced perspective. Really weird stuff. Makes me want to learn more about the human brain.

Real Cinema/True Motion setting is what I think you're talking about. Aka the Soap Opera effect. It's awful and insidious.

they ruined Charlotte for me. i don’t wanna see her do anything. think i’ve said this before but whatever. i hoped the hiatus would make me miss her but nah. the bullshit she’s involved in now doesn’t interest me and there are no possible feuds or matches that really do anything for me. i don’t know what to do. they gave her so much so fast that it’s all burnt out and as deep as the women’s division is, it feels like she doesn’t fit, like she’s too big for it. maybe an AEW run or something would be good.

If WWE weren't against serious mixed gender matches (Candice should've had at least one by now) I'd like to see Charlotte in the men's division lol, like ah IC title run. Maybe not straight to the world title like Tessa but something similar

17 hours ago, EJ! said:

they ruined Charlotte for me. i don’t wanna see her do anything. think i’ve said this before but whatever. i hoped the hiatus would make me miss her but nah. the bullshit she’s involved in now doesn’t interest me and there are no possible feuds or matches that really do anything for me. i don’t know what to do. they gave her so much so fast that it’s all burnt out and as deep as the women’s division is, it feels like she doesn’t fit, like she’s too big for it. maybe an AEW run or something would be good.

Charlotte's entire career has been built around her taking the spotlight from other people when she really shouldn't have. Just looking at her Mania matches - winning the triple threat that Sasha seemed primed for, riding Becky's momentum to stumble into the 35 main event, beating Rhea last year, and of course breaking Asuka's f'n streak. If Charlotte's part of an angle, and your name's not either Bayley or Becky, it's rare that anyone but Charlotte walks away looking good. I feel like all the "Triple H buries talent" memes of a previous generation apply to Charlotte now (albeit I think with less backstage politicking involved).  It's not Charlotte's fault, it's all just atrocious booking, but it makes her as an on screen persona/wrestler have "go away" heat from me.

Guest Fight Me.

Yeah, I miss the days when it was pretty much a guaranteed new champion and potential main event maker. It's been too many years in a row now of same night cash-ins or short reigns in general with the briefcase and too many failed attempts. Carmella's so far has been the only good one for the women. Meanwhile, they seemed to have peaked on the Men's side with Rollins so they haven't seem to have tried since then.

Edited by Fight Me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...