Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Not gonna lie, I’ve never watched NJPW so I can’t rate his.

As for Michaels, I would have put him higher, but the fact of the matter is the three above him all have ones that look so good it’d be a disservice to lower them. In hindsight I’d have put Test at #8 and moved Savage and Young down. I just forgot he existed when I made my list and only just remembered him.

Got another one, even though his new promo style isn’t the most exciting, I prefer the Monday Night Messiah gimmick over all of Seth’s others. Even his 2015 heel run. 

I just love his promo attire with the suite and one glove, ring attire with the leather jacket, man bun and fuller beard, the theme, Murphy with him. Face Rollins never clicked with me besides him being a good wrestler. 

Definitely agree that he's better than face Rollins. He's much more interesting. But I'm glad we got the face run since its underperformance with the fans resulted in his mind getting so warped that he developed a complex for himself. I honestly think it's the best character development we've gotten in the past year. It's more thought-out than some people give it credit for.

Watched back this year’s Money in the Bank, and I want to see WWE do both Royal Rumbles at the same time now. Start with four people, two from each gender, and let the entrants alternate after that. It could lead to some fun stuff. Imagine the heat if Corbin eliminates Mandy Rose for no reason whatsoever? It has no bearing on his match, he does it just to be a prick. Or if the three people in the ring are Miz, Maryse & Seth, and as it looks like Seth’s about to be eliminated, Becky Lynch comes out for the save?

14 hours ago, King RyderFan said:

Watched back this year’s Money in the Bank, and I want to see WWE do both Royal Rumbles at the same time now. Start with four people, two from each gender, and let the entrants alternate after that. It could lead to some fun stuff. Imagine the heat if Corbin eliminates Mandy Rose for no reason whatsoever? It has no bearing on his match, he does it just to be a prick. Or if the three people in the ring are Miz, Maryse & Seth, and as it looks like Seth’s about to be eliminated, Becky Lynch comes out for the save?

You really think Corbin will get heat for that? The world is dumb, people will cheer cos its unexpected. 

Also that idea is beyond convoluted and stupid. 

9 hours ago, Creepia said:

You really think Corbin will get heat for that? The world is dumb, people will cheer cos its unexpected. 

Also that idea is beyond convoluted and stupid. 

Two things:

A: Mandy is/was over, Corbin would get heat for eliminating her from a match she isn’t in. And before you bring him Becky, 1: Mandy wouldn’t have even been in Corbin’s match and 2: Mandy wouldn’t have done anything to Baron beforehand, unlike Becky.

B: For the next couple of years, Vince controls the crowd. We aren’t getting proper fans back for a while, and if WWE want something to be booed it’ll get booed. 

Also, related to point B, since we’re not getting fans back, there’s no better time to start throwing crazy ideas into the pool in terms of match types, two Royal Rumbles, Ironman Tables, I Quit inside HIAC, even hanging Money in the Bank off the roof of WWE HQ,  you name it. At best we get something new, fresh and full of cool spots & moments. At worst it’s a convoluted and stupid cluster*censored*, as you put it.

I’m not saying go for completely meaningless angles, hotshot booking or “will Goldberg follow the script?”, but if the time comes, why not change things up a bit? For instance at the Hell in a Cell PPV in October, why not do a match in the Cell with Last Man Standing rules instead of the usual pin or submission? Also, I fail to see how they are so convoluted if you can very easily create most of them in the 2K games.

The HIAC idea isn't offensive but your RR and Ironman Table match ideas sound ridiculous. Your larger point -- the idea of throwing crazy match types around simply  for "fresh" moments and "cool" spots --  I find to be the wrong kind of mentality to have in this industry since it's short-sighted and it over prioritizes superfluous stuff. Real change doesn't come in cool match types, it's much deeper than that. To me, last night's RAW epitomizes what you're talking about and for me it was largely a failure.

I agree real change doesn’t come in only match types, there are so many things that add up, but I just feel like WWE is way too organised, there’s no real spontaneity anymore. We have Hell in a Cell matches in October, TLC matches in December, War Games in November, etc. If we’re getting the same base matches, why can’t they be varied up a bit? Instead of the first table ending the match, why not have so whoever can put their opponent through the most tables in a certain time wins? 

Regarding RAW though:

I can see how you can feel that way, though honestly I kinda liked that they were at least trying some new stuff. Shane’s mid life crisisRAW Underground could have been a lot better if it didn’t suffer from WWE’s usual issues with camera cuts and over-production. The actual idea was pretty solid, and could be a cool way to debut/return a new talent here and there. Imagine if someone like Brock or Ronda was to show up as an end boss of it all?

The new faction could be pretty cool too, especially if they keep the members masked for now and just have them keep being troublemakers, eventually revealing them one at a time, like they should have done with Sanity.

I don't think adding new twists to current matchtypes is the solution. The problem is the fact that we get these gimmicky matches so frequently and as a result, they mean less and feel less important. HIAC, for instance, as a PPV event every year is such a mornic thing to do because it makes a match that be should be saved to end an epic blood feud an arbitrary thing that takes place once a year around Sept/Oct. It's inorganic and shallow. So the better solution isn't to add novel concepts to it, it's to use it less frequently and only when the story calls for it. 

RAW

I don't care if they're trying, if your idea is dumb is begin with it, trying doesn't mean jackshit to me. lol Their approach is all wrong. Trying some phoney MMA fight club shit is just not the way in my eyes. Same with people throwing molotov cocktails at a generator.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the look of NXT is definitely hurting my overall enjoyment of the show. Regardless of fans, I think I’m tired of them being in Full Sail every week. With RAW & SD both going to the ThunderDome, NXT looks and feels so boring by comparison. 

I don’t think the show needs to be as overproduced as the main roster at all, but the shows do have a feel of dryness to it for sure. Especially since there is no crowd. Idk. I’m just ready for them to move on. 

I think I’ve decided I’d much rather watch AEW first every week just because it looks different. Being in an open air amphitheater, the pyro, lighting, camera work, stage set, fans/wrestlers in the crowd, it’s just a way more aesthetically pleasing and generally more energetic show to watch. I think that’s why I loved the Great American Bash shows so much. They just seemed fresh and fun.