Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

Just 10 from me:

1: WWE should bring back a face, neutral authority figure, not Mr. McMahon, John Laurinatis, Constable Corbin, or any other heel trying to replicate the first. Both real sports (Rodger Goodell (who coincidentally shares a birthday with yours truly) for the NFL, Chase Carey for F1) and other fictional universes (Mayor Quimby, Sir Topham Hatt, Dumbledore, etc.) have some someone who’s on-screen and calls the shots. It would fix more than a few plotholes I’ve seen recently.

2: On a related not the guest host stuff WWE did in like 09/10ish could’ve worked, the idea of a rotating GM could have been fun on paper. It’s just that WWE butchered it by making the order of priority for the role being celebs who don’t give a shit about wrestling > celebs who do give a shit about wrestling > actual wrestling personalities when it should have been the other way around.

3: Hot tags suck major man-egg, to the point where if I am watching a tag match I just skip til the hot tag is actually made. All they do is needlessly slow the match pace down to a painful, boring crawl. It wouldn’t be so bad if WWE would play with the formula a little, like letting the heels get the pin before the hot tag is made, or even skipping it completely.

4: With Zelina taking on more clients, and the introduction of Chelsea Green’s manager, Malcom Bivens, and MVP, I really like the fact WWE is putting more of an emphasis on managers for the first time in decades. It feels like managing has become an ignored art over the years.

5: I honestly don’t mind the empty arena shows, and I wouldn’t mind it becoming like a yearly special after crowds come back. I like being able to hear the trash talk, and it could give everyone some preparation and experience for the future should this happen again.

6: Montez Ford’s suicide dive botch onto the steel was the funniest moment of the empty arena era so far, everything about it was just perfect.

7: If Hulk Hogan absolutely HAS to have one final match it should be him winning the Andre Battle Royal just for the Hogan/Andre connection.

8: If we’re doing multiple HoF indictions for different stages of people’s careers then Mankind and Cactus Jack should get their own separate inductions.

9: Rollout is the best thing about UpUpDownDown

10: Michael Cole is a lot better than people give him credit for. A lot of his faults can put down to Vince & co. being in his ear, it’s amazing how much he improves when he doesn’t have to put up with that. Honestly, I think he’ll be one of those guys that’ll be appreciated more after he’s gone than while he was there.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. I don’t think there’s anything intrinsically wrong the hot tag. Like many things, it’s how it’s done.

8. They’re not doing that. Groups and tag teams count as separate inductions. They don’t induct alternate personas/gimmicks and if they did, that would be silly.

3: Honestly I get what you’re saying, but it’s the fact that literally every form of match that involves tagging HAS to involve some form of hot tag to a degree. It just kills the flow and pacing of a match, and why? Why not let a tag match be fast paced all the way from start to finish? Or if you really need to do it, why not play with the formula and let the heels wins before the hot tag is made? Right now it just feels like the first 5-15 minutes of the match can be skipped, as it’s just like every other tag match, and you’re not gonna see a fall in that time.

8: Honestly, I fail to see the difference between putting both DX and Evolution Triple H in and putting both Cactus and Mankind in separately. All four are different characters in their own rights, and no offence, but saying that it’s different because one group happened to be a part of a larger stable (bonus if all members of said stable already had previous inductions) and one was a group of singles feels like a little bit of a cop out. All four of them are legendary in their own rights, and they are all separate stages of Mick’s/Hunter’s careers, so why honour one but not the other?

3. Not every tag match has a hot tag. But the reason hot tags are often used is because it’s a good, natural source for heat. Overuse and lack of creativity is a whole other argument.

8. Because you’re honoring the person behind the gimmick. It’s already part of their induction. Cactus Jack, for example, was already honored when Mick was inducted. And as for groups, it’s the group as a whole that’s being honored, not individuals and the new persona they happen to have.

4 hours ago, A.O.L. said:

Judas>Break The Walls Down. Took me sometime to feel it but *censored*ing hell. 

🤝

Funny Jericho gets made of fun for Fozzy his whole career and then...Judas. Masterpiece.

Break the Walls is still fire but man Judas hits different, especially with the crowds

7 minutes ago, Creepia said:

Judas is just a fun singalong when you're live. Its generally a crappy song otherwise...Fozzy aren't great. Break is iconic. 

sounds like something somebody would say if they weren’t becoming Judas in their mind. shame. praying for you.

1 hour ago, EJ! said:

🤝

Funny Jericho gets made of fun for Fozzy his whole career and then...Judas. Masterpiece.

Break the Walls is still fire but man Judas hits different, especially with the crowds

I was one of those who used to make fun of him for sure. But yeah that shit just sounds amazing with a crowd. Something about it!

17 hours ago, AONO. said:

Break The Walls Down is one of the most iconic themes in wrestling.

End of. 

It's not even comparable. At all. 

Sure they are. His former theme is iconic yes, but in turn Judas is a symbol of him breaking down so many barriers after WWE. Going to NJPW, backing AEW. In time, I think it'll be up there as one of the more iconic themes as well, as an anthem of change.

As far as Fozzy as a whole, I liked them a lot when I was younger, but nowadays....meh. They have a couple fun songs (Enemy, Let the Madness Begin, hell I enjoyed Chasing the Grail overall as an album) but I rarely listen to them. Only recent songs of theirs I liked were Judas and Painless.

5. Damn right. I agree. Don't think it should be a thing after this whole shit is all said and done.

10. Yeah man. He's good at what he does. It's just Vince that ruins him. When he's good, he's good. 

On 5/3/2020 at 1:25 AM, King RyderFan said:

Just 10 from me:

1: WWE should bring back a face, neutral authority figure, not Mr. McMahon, John Laurinatis, Constable Corbin, or any other heel trying to replicate the first. Both real sports (Rodger Goodell (who coincidentally shares a birthday with yours truly) for the NFL, Chase Carey for F1) and other fictional universes (Mayor Quimby, Sir Topham Hatt, Dumbledore, etc.) have some someone who’s on-screen and calls the shots. It would fix more than a few plotholes I’ve seen recently.

2: On a related not the guest host stuff WWE did in like 09/10ish could’ve worked, the idea of a rotating GM could have been fun on paper. It’s just that WWE butchered it by making the order of priority for the role being celebs who don’t give a shit about wrestling > celebs who do give a shit about wrestling > actual wrestling personalities when it should have been the other way around.

3: Hot tags suck major man-egg, to the point where if I am watching a tag match I just skip til the hot tag is actually made. All they do is needlessly slow the match pace down to a painful, boring crawl. It wouldn’t be so bad if WWE would play with the formula a little, like letting the heels get the pin before the hot tag is made, or even skipping it completely.

4: With Zelina taking on more clients, and the introduction of Chelsea Green’s manager, Malcom Bivens, and MVP, I really like the fact WWE is putting more of an emphasis on managers for the first time in decades. It feels like managing has become an ignored art over the years.

5: I honestly don’t mind the empty arena shows, and I wouldn’t mind it becoming like a yearly special after crowds come back. I like being able to hear the trash talk, and it could give everyone some preparation and experience for the future should this happen again.

6: Montez Ford’s suicide dive botch onto the steel was the funniest moment of the empty arena era so far, everything about it was just perfect.

7: If Hulk Hogan absolutely HAS to have one final match it should be him winning the Andre Battle Royal just for the Hogan/Andre connection.

8: If we’re doing multiple HoF indictions for different stages of people’s careers then Mankind and Cactus Jack should get their own separate inductions.

9: Rollout is the best thing about UpUpDownDown

10: Michael Cole is a lot better than people give him credit for. A lot of his faults can put down to Vince & co. being in his ear, it’s amazing how much he improves when he doesn’t have to put up with that. Honestly, I think he’ll be one of those guys that’ll be appreciated more after he’s gone than while he was there.

Roman Reigns is great. Amazing dude, amazing athlete. Deserved that Universal Title win. A tad over pushed tho, gets way too much hate.

Super Dragon is one of the best of the Indy boom (99-09). Though he looks stiff and dangerous af, but in actually most of his sigs (other then the Barry white driver, that shit is deadly) are not that dangerous, and that's the whole point of wrestling. SUPER DRAGON! CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CALP!

The blue and red universal title designs are not that bad. I actually like em. Same with Zayn's IC Championship.

Punk SHOULDN'T come back in any other ring other than a wwe ring.

Edited by TheBLACKESTManOnEarth

3 hours ago, TheBLACKESTManOnEarth said:

Roman Reigns is great. Amazing dude, amazing athlete. Deserved that Universal Title win. A tad over pushed tho, gets way too much hate.

Super Dragon is one of the best of the Indy boom (99-09). Though he looks stiff and dangerous af, but in actually most of his sigs (other then the Barry white driver, that shit is deadly) are not that dangerous, and that's the whole point of wrestling. SUPER DRAGON! CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CALP!

The blue and red universal title designs are not that bad. I actually like em. Same with Zayn's IC Championship.

Punk SHOULDN'T come back in any other ring other than a wwe ring.

I agree that they don’t look bad, it’s just that I hate belts being colour swaps of each other. It goes back to my point of things not being allowed their own identity. A simple grayscale filter and their belts are exactly the same. Don’t believe me?

AF409307-24FE-46CC-94A1-CFF47132D24D.jpeg.e5c8f5985ce91aad4853280205719fcc.jpeg3A08256F-DC3E-4E47-9CC9-10A50012504A.jpeg.4febdedcb35c50e5ca087af6df776b49.jpeg

Guess which belts belong to RAW and whivh ones belong to SmackDown. Granted, those are the tag titles, not the World titles BMoE was referring to, but the point stands.