Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

Fannon is short for fan cannon, things you make up/theorise yourself to fill in the dots. It isn't a dated concept in the slightest, the heel, Vince-lite authority figure (ie. Corbin, Shane, Authority, etc.) maybe, but not a plain, neutral decision maker. (Regal, Angle, Saint/Scala, Paige, etc.). Ever since Jack Tunney at least someone has been credited on-screen as being THE one in charge. I thought it was a contradiction seeing as you were saying the Authority Figure as a whole was outdated, then praising Regal, which is the kind I think we need for RAW/SmackDown.

I just saw your edit, I'd rather see Angle or whomever come out for like two minutes to make the match rather than leave it to wrestlers to make the matches, imagine if we didn't have Regal and we left it to Ciampa, Cole, Garagno, etc. to make big matches like War Games, how ridiculous would that be?

Kayfabe and real life are two different things. By that logic, Kevin Dunn has on-screen power, yet in Kayfabe he doesn't exist.

Kevin Dunn is a director/producer, not a booker nor a writter. He could easily even be mentioned on the show and it would have no impact on Kayfabe.

Because if you hear and talk every day how RAW and SD is overproduced and you have a certain number of writters that book matches, write promos... than it has little to none impact on Kayfabe if Angle or Paige come out screaming how we are going to have a match "RIGHT NOW" and everybody goes yay.

I also think that when four guys get in the ring, you already know what's hapoening. A boring segment and a tag team match or fatal f way, depending on the situation. In this case, I have zero problem on them agreeing to have a match, or cut to commercials and then announce that the match was set. They got a ref, he got contacted by the showrunner, Vince, Steph or whoever and that's it. Again, you already know who runs it.There is no need to mention it every single time.

Also, a lowcarder like Slater or Titus would be dumb. A random person suddenly works in management?

Having a random person just announcing matches wouldn't improve the show. In fact it could only get more tedious. Leave that time for wrestlers.

True.

Again, writers aren't a part of Kayfabe, unless your name is Vince Russo.

True, but that doesn't need to be the case every time. Plus, what about hirings/firings/disciplinary actions like suspensions? Who manages those?

Wouldn't be any "dumber" than half of the people who have held the GM role before. Both of those guys are good promos, which is all you need to be a GM, plus they're not doing much, so why not?

It doesn't get any less tedious than a guy like Ricochet going "Oh let's all have a fatal four way for AJ's title" and everyone awkwardly going along with it like a few weeks ago. You need that kayfabe boss or decision maker.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the McMahons are there, but since Shane got the boot we haven't seen or heard anything from any of them. There is a middle ground from rambling every 20 weeks to start RAW and getting involved in everyone's storylines to being so absent people wonder where in the blue hell you've gone. I understand guys like Regal are more "middle management", but why is there no one at all right now? I'm not sure about WBO, as I am not a boxing fan, but UFC at least has Dana White who's clearly in charge.

(Dana white doesn't make the fights at this point hes more a face of the company then anything.)

So he's...an authority figure? MMA turns into wrestling more by the day. :lol:

If you accept Dana White is in charge and not necessarily on screen booking matches, why can't you accept that Vince and/or Steph doing the same thing?

Dana's still on-screen in a sense that he's there for contract signings and the like. The McMahons don't even have that.

Then why haven't they "delegated" to someone recently? They personally don't need to be on-screen 24/7, but they can't just go AWOL for months, that is what I'm saying. Bottom line, you need someone to be in charge, and absolutely no one has been mentioned recently. It shouldn't be up to us to fill in the gaps for their shitty storytelling by saying stuff like "The McMahons are in charge, you don't need to see them.".

True, but that doesn't need to be the case every time. Plus, what about hirings/firings/disciplinary actions like suspensions? Who manages those?

Wouldn't be any "dumber" than half of the people who have held the GM role before. Both of those guys are good promos, which is all you need to be a GM, plus they're not doing much, so why not?

It doesn't get any less tedious than a guy like Ricochet going "Oh let's all have a fatal four way for AJ's title" and everyone awkwardly going along with it like a few weeks ago. You need that kayfabe boss or decision maker.

Same people do, that's kinda obvious.

I decipeted on "why not". And just because something has been done for 20 years, doesn't mean that you need something equally dumb.

That segment you keep reffering to constantly could have been easily be fixed with better script or setup. Doesn't mean it needs another character.

There are a lot of factors you are not taking into account here. So yeah, if you wish to see it, fine, but those two shows do not "need it".

Same people do, that's kinda obvious.

I decipeted on "why not". And just because something has been done for 20 years, doesn't mean that you need something equally dumb.

That segment you keep reffering to constantly could have been easily be fixed with better script or setup. Doesn't mean it needs another character.

There are a lot of factors you are not taking into account here. So yeah, if you wish to see it, fine, but those two shows do not "need it".

So, the wrestlers themselves decided if they are hired or fired or suspended? How big of a plothole is that?

It isn't dumb in the slightest. It's a way to get two talents on-screen plus fix a gaping plothole. You don't need any actual backstage stroke to be an authority figure, just a good promo. That's it. Hell, it'd even be in Heath's character to do it, seeing as he's about doing everything he can for his kids.

Alright, how would you do it without making it seem awkward? Situations like that are why a GM/authority figure role is needed.

And there are factors you aren't taking into account either. Next thing you'll be saying is NXT could do get rid of Regal or Saint and not name replacements and they'll be fine.

Hasn't the King been there for the signings? Like think about real massive company's the CEO would never be there for ground level shit like that.

You're right it wouldn't be the CEO personally, but it would be another person in authority below him.

So, the wrestlers themselves decided if they are hired or fired or suspended? How big of a plothole is that?

It isn't dumb in the slightest. It's a way to get two talents on-screen plus fix a gaping plothole. You don't need any actual backstage stroke to be an authority figure, just a good promo. That's it. Hell, it'd even be in Heath's character to do it, seeing as he's about doing everything he can for his kids.

Alright, how would you do it without making it seem awkward? Situations like that are why a GM/authority figure role is needed.

And there are factors you aren't taking into account either. Next thing you'll be saying is NXT could do get rid of Regal or Saint and not name replacements and they'll be fine.

Wtf? No. Again, YOU DO KNOW who is in charge, those same people would be doing that. How is that hard to understand?

Except it's not a "gaping plothole". And yeah, Constable Corbin worked tremendously well, or Corporate Kane. But you are right, I'm sure Supervisor Heath Slater would work wonders for the show.

I literally don't have the will and time to write a script for a hypothetical RAW segment between 4 midcarders in an argument with you.

You are just running in ridiculous circles now. And next thing I'll say is that just because you want to see something doesn't mean that it would improve the quality of the show and that the show needs it.

And yeah Dana White for the most part is just the face, he was in more control before they sold to AEG but even then he still wasn't the match matcher that was always Joe Silva. Im sure if he goes i want to see this fight they will do it but hes probably more hands off nowadays then most realize.

Wtf? No. Again, YOU DO KNOW who is in charge, those same people would be doing that. How is that hard to understand?

Except it's not a "gaping plothole". And yeah, Constable Corbin worked tremendously well, or Corporate Kane. But you are right, I'm sure Supervisor Heath Slater would work wonders for the show.

I literally don't have the will and time to write a script for a hypothetical RAW segment between 4 midcarders in an argument with you.

You are just running in ridiculous circles now. And next thing I'll say is that just because you want to see something doesn't mean that it would improve the quality of the show and that the show needs it.

Again, NO WE DON'T. You are just using fan theories to fill in plotholes to cover lazy storytelling. The last tine we saw any sort of matchmaking it was done by the wrestlers themselves, that is NOT how you tell stories.

It is a plothole. I remember no one complaining about Paige, Angle, or any of the other face authority figures. You'd be surprised how much a simple role can advance a show. Stop intentionally picking bad examples. Slater could make it work.

AKA you can't do it, further proving my point.

If anyone's running round in circles it's you. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't needed.

I don't see how anyone could make it any clearer. I explained it perfectly, you're just refusing to see it for some reason because you're caught in your own head. Authority figures not appearing on TV to book matches is not plot hole, it's a built-in mechanic of wrestling canon. Wrestlers making matches for themselves IS a plothole however, but even then it's not hard to believe that someone in the office signed off on the spontaneous match. It's like when a wrestler makes an open challenge, in kayfabe someone has clearly given the okay.

Look anything we say is not going to get through, you would have gotten it by now otherwise.

Look, Creepia, I see where you are coming from, and that does make sense if there WAS someone even mentioned to be in charge. Even when NXT does impromptu matches they make a point of saying Regal signed off on it, even if he doesn't physically show up, still making it clear that he is in charge. RAW/SD? Since Shane went there has been NO mention at all of who is running the ship. Zlich. Nada. Nil. If an impromptu match happens the ref runs in and rings the bell and no mention of anyone signing off on it as if the wrestlers are the GM. Again, they DO NOT need to physically appear every week and get involved in everyone's storylines, but they DO need to be at least mentioned when needed and make it clear that they ARE in charge and call the shots. That is what I am talking about. Saying "Vince/HHH/Steph" is just headcannon, as when did we last see or hear from them? Months at least. Even throwaway lines like "This impromptu match was just signed off by Triple H" or "I just got out of Steph's office, we're facing each other tonight" go a long way, and neither of them even needs to show as much as a finger to do that.

Edited by King RyderFan

https://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/article/paul-heyman-eric-bischoff-executive-directors-raw-smackdown-live

and here is an update: https://www.wwe.com/article/bruce-prichard-executive-director-smackdown

"It's a new day, yes it is!"

I don't get how is it so hard to grasp that they wanted to do away with a staled mechanic. Like I've said, all you are saying can be scripted better. Guys are arguing, obviously they want to fight. Ref is out. Boom. Magic. There is a match. Except it is not magic because people told him to go out and decided that there will be a match. In reality, Vince/Heyman/Pritchard/Writters etc....In kayfabe Heyman/Pritchard. Sure they can do it on commentary, except they don't mention them, like they don't mention a lot of things. So, maybe it's a problem of announcing? Or scripts and nuances how do you do the show? And not the lack of characters in itself.

this is literally one of the rare examples when they do not dumb it down and expect you to know a few things.

And if it's throwaway, then it doesn't really "go a long way".

EDIT: and you wanting me to script a potential RAW segment, and me refusing it to do it in an argument with you, means only that I refuse to. And it wouldn't prove anything. Even if "I can't do it", doesn't mean that people who are paid to do it and have a stake in that "can't do it". I don't know why you have to be so ridiculous.

Edited by AONO.

Really? You are aware those are so outdated one of those guys doesn't even work there anymore? :lol:

Again, the mechanic is NOT staled. If it was, why would they still be using Regal, Saint & Scala? Again, they have NOT mentioned Heyman or Pritchard on screen ONCE. Since Shane got canned NO ONE has been mentioned as being in charge. Not Bruce, not Heyman, not Vince, not HHH, not Steph, not Funaki, not Jenson Button, NO ONE. Even trotting them out one on the ramp saying "Hey we're in charge now!" and kept them to just mentions, that would establish them. A couple of severely outdated WWE.com articles do not cover it.

They do need to "dumb it down", you can't have a show without establishing who is in charge, or else you end up with a mess.

Er, yes throwaways can go a long way. You ever heard of the saying "It's the little things that make a big difference"? That's be one of them.

As for your little edit, if it was so easy, you wouldn't "refuse" to do it. And if it was so easy for the people who are paid to do it to make it less awkward, why didn't they? I am being 100% honest when I say I do not know how I would book that segment without involving an outside party clearing things up.

Edited by King RyderFan

I obviously posted so you can see that they made it publicly know that those 2 are in charge of RAW and SD and what their duties are, and that's why I posted and UPDATE in which it said that one of them is gone and that a new guy came. Are you serious?

If it's throaway than it's not a nuanced little thing that can make a difference.

I was going to make a point on why it is staled in this day and age of mixing kayfabe with reality on WWE programming, but I don't think it would do anything at this point.

So, fine.

You were right. I couldn't do it. It just can't be done. This is the best I could have come up with (sorry for my bad formatting and lack of style). You've proved your point.

Ricochet comes out demanding a title match, then jumps around the ring frantically, dives out the ring and comes back in. Then does a flip over the ropes the each side of the ring, until we hear Sheam---, I mean Drews pipes. He gets to the ring and beats his slightly hairy chest shouting how he also wants a US title shot while Ricochet is smiling at him for no reason. Then we hear the voices and Randy Orton walks 15 minutes down the ramp, everybody looks at him confused while he finally gets to the ring, and before he states his mind after another 5 minutes, out comes Andrade with Zelina Vega. They get to the ring and Zelina Vega talks how Andrrraddde should face Rey Mysterio for the US title, because he beat all other latinos on RAW and he can't fight anybody else. And out comes the the champion of United States to clear things up with his homie. He yells out from top of the ramp: "YOU WANT SOME COME GET SOME". We cut to the commercials. We see the action in the ring and we wait for the announcers to clarify this perplexing and convoluted set of affairs. The announcers make a statement: "And we are back, as you can see, these four men in the ring, right now, at this very moment, are competing for the for a shot at the United States championship, the match was made by our beloved Chief in Charge, and absolutely only person that is in charge of Monday Night Raw, our de facto Great Leader former WWE champion Jinder Mahal"

Edited by AONO.

This Rusev and company storyline is the worst storyline Ive ever seen on WWE/F. Worse than Katie Vick. Worse than Fake Kane. Worse than Kennel from Hell, etc. Just stupid ass, pure trash that doesnt benefit anyone in the long run. Even if it was to make Rusev a sympathetic babyface(which he ALREADY WAS), theyll just hot potato his push and Bobbys push again leading nowhere. So why even do this goofy as shit. At first I was on board because it was like a goofy as Tyler Perry soap opera thats funny on accident or just badly acted. Shit is terrible. Whew chile, the ghetto.

That Weekend Update parody they did a couple weeks ago is the worst thing I've seen recently.

This Rusev and company storyline is the worst storyline Ive ever seen on WWE/F. Worse than Katie Vick. Worse than Fake Kane. Worse than Kennel from Hell, etc. Just stupid ass, pure trash that doesnt benefit anyone in the long run. Even if it was to make Rusev a sympathetic babyface(which he ALREADY WAS), theyll just hot potato his push and Bobbys push again leading nowhere. So why even do this goofy as shit. At first I was on board because it was like a goofy as Tyler Perry soap opera thats funny on accident or just badly acted. Shit is terrible. Whew chile, the ghetto.

No he wasn't.