Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think people have trouble distinguishing some things.

WWE as a whole arhuably has some of the best wrestling in the world, still. No matter of their booking, them being corny and whatever. But a lot if times it's easy to overlook because of the oversaturation and their overall lack of presentation.

I mean, this a whole another layered discussion.

People find Rollins boring overall, and I do too. And I also find his presentation and promo work corny. I mean, this happens to every top babyface

every time... Idk, if he is a brash babyface on twitter it's no good, if he is a cookie cutter babyface, it's no good...

Tbh this is just rationalizing of not liking what he said on twitter, and taking it too seriously.

I still think people have trouble distinguishing some things.

WWE as a whole arhuably has some of the best wrestling in the world, still. No matter of their booking, them being corny and whatever. But a lot if times it's easy to overlook because of the oversaturation and their overall lack of presentation.

I mean, this a whole another layered discussion.

People find Rollins boring overall, and I do too. And I also find his presentation and promo work corny. I mean, this happens to every top babyface

every time... Idk, if he is a brash babyface on twitter it's no good, if he is a cookie cutter babyface, it's no good...

Tbh this is just rationalizing of not liking what he said on twitter, and taking it too seriously.

If by "some" you mean barely scratching the Top 10 in North America, then yeah. Some of the best.

If you're just talking about the flat out wrestling talent of the roster...nobody is disputing that.

But with companies like NWA, Impact and AEW all stepping up their product in the past few months and then companies such as PWG, ROH and MLW doing that for a while aswell and New Japan stealing the show during Mania week...I have a hard time praising the WWE in general for their wrestling. Can't remember the last time someone told me to go out of my way to watch a WWE match, unless it's for the wrong reasons.

I'm not just talking pure numbers of the audience. Also the reaction of the audience and the reason why they stop watching.

Impact Wrestling's audience stayed rather consistent for most there existence. It only changed, when they change where they are broadcasting. Plus their advertisements changed. That's the opposite of WWE's situation. WWE has more programs and accessibility than ever, yet the majority of the people following the product, criticize it.

Never said AEW is justified in saying whatever they want and Rollins can't say anything back. It simply depends on what he is actually saying. Especially considering his role in the company. He's a babyface, that in kayfabe is a tryhard, crybaby, that cries in the corner of the ring. There is little to like about him. Especially in comparison to his well more rounded and characterized opponents, like Braun Strowman and The Fiend. Of course we are not going to react favorable to his tweets, when he continues to double down on the worst aspects that regularly gets him heat on television.

With all that being said...

When he first was called out for it, he had the chance to keep the banter up as just that banter....then he went on to compare BANK ACCOUNTS. There is no coming back as a babyface after that and you can be sure...if AEW, NJPW, MLW, ROH or any other (once) beloved wrestling company had their top babyface champion do so, they would be criticized just as much.

Impact Wrestling fans are mostly people who have stuck around since TNA, that audience used to be much bigger than it is, because it used to be more widely beloved than it is now. That's not ONLY because of the business side of things, they had plenty of years of doing the wrong thing creatively and the audience dwindled. They're just as accessible to American fans as New Japan is yet New Japan is more popular amongst hardcore fans in America. That said, it's still a matter of taste. If Brian Cage came out and said Bound for Glory was the best PPV of the year, is he objectively right because most of the fans who watched it agree with him? I don't know where you get majority from but whether fans criticize it or not doesn't make it any better or worse than Impact in terms of quality.

Maybe I'm missing your point here because the rest of this seems like you're saying fans can't or don't separate the character from the person. Rollins can't help his booking. The guy in my avatar is an absolute dork on TV but I know he's not that guy off TV, but even then, I follow Rollins on Twitter and I use Twitter often, I can say firsthand that I don't see anything inflammatory or cringey from him on a regular basis. All he does is talk about football and fans so the criticisms about his tweets are blown out of proportion, at least from my experience. You're talking as if their personal Twitter accounts are supposed to serve their on-screen personas. People forget Ospreay went out of his way to talk to Rollins, nobody mentioned him, and Rollins defended WWE, not as a heel or babyface, but as an employee. Corbin was feuding with Rollins on TV at the time and he jumped in to help.

People mad about the bank accounts thing. Idk tell Willy to get his bread up.

yes Rollins is corny, not the point.

It is part of the point, it's why a lot of people are jumping on him. Because he's going about it in a corny way. If it was by default, then it wouldn't matter what he says and how he says it, but it isn't by default. His presentation of what he wants to say turns people off. A different approach would've garnered different reactions. But he doesn't have that kind of charisma, so yeah, sucks for him.

Maybe you're right but maybe I'm more cynical than that. There's no reason for me to believe that it didn't have to be Rollins, he's just the only one that stepped up. I remember people bitching at Triple H for the HOF antics after loving everything the Bucks did to poke fun at WWE for years. So I feel like it didn't have to be Rollins, it could have been Aleister or something and he would have been vilified just because it's WWE. Maybe I'm wrong though, I can only speak in hypothetical because apparently the rest of these WWE *Censored*s are pussy.

Seth is not in the wrong for supporting the company he works for, but he is a massive goof with the way he goes about it.

This is fair and is all I want to hear. It just seems like people had their mind made up about Rollins as soon as he boldly came out in defense of WWE which everybody hated at the time. Ospreay is a great wrestler but is a bigger piece of shit person than Rollins is but only one of them gets treated like a piece of shit and it's the guy working for the company that people are mad at. It didn't matter what Rollins said after that. Like I said Rollins is a cornball on TV, but I personally don't see exactly what he has done off TV to earn that criticism, but maybe I've missed stuff.

Well...Considering the majority of wrestling fans DON'T follow Seth on twitter, the only thing we know about his life outside of his kayfabe persona, is what we learn whenever something notable happens. So...Even if he spents the majority of his free time helping kittens down from trees and saving innocent children from robbers...that's not what most people hear when it comes to him. You already admitted that his character is a goof. It shouldn't be too hard to understand that if everything else you hear from him is "You disagree with our wrestling being better? Well...How much money do you make?" and "Dean Ambrose ran away because he couldn't handle it." plus leaked dick pics, that the opinion on him is rather negative.

I'm talking about the majority precisely because that is what we are arguing here. You claim that many people see Rollins in a bad light for saying these things and that the same is not the case if wrestlers in different companies say that. I point at the subjective opinions of the majority, to compare the fan's opinions to their respective products. I'm not talking about actually show quality here. Just to the percieved quality. And if you compare that between the followers of the different shows, then the majority of viewers speak unfavorable about WWE, while that is not the case for other companies.

Combine that with the continously rising number of outspoken people within the WWE and the way Seth Rollins' comments are taken are pushed in a far more negative light. The way fans take him is a combination of his on-screen character being a goof and his off-screen character having no self-reflection and I wouldn't blame fans one bit for it.

There is only so much to work with and if the WWE books you the way they booked Seth, you better not try to big-league the rest of the wrestling industry

Well...Considering the majority of wrestling fans DON'T follow Seth on twitter, the only thing we know about his life outside of his kayfabe persona, is what we learn whenever something notable happens. So...Even if he spents the majority of his free time helping kittens down from trees and saving innocent children from robbers...that's not what most people hear when it comes to him. You already admitted that his character is a goof. It shouldn't be too hard to understand that if everything else you hear from him is "You disagree with our wrestling being better? Well...How much money do you make?" and "Dean Ambrose ran away because he couldn't handle it." plus leaked dick pics, that the opinion on him is rather negative.

I'm talking about the majority precisely because that is what we are arguing here. You claim that many people see Rollins in a bad light for saying these things and that the same is not the case if wrestlers in different companies say that. I point at the subjective opinions of the majority, to compare the fan's opinions to their respective products. I'm not talking about actually show quality here. Just to the percieved quality. And if you compare that between the followers of the different shows, then the majority of viewers speak unfavorable about WWE, while that is not the case for other companies.

Combine that with the continously rising number of outspoken people within the WWE and the way Seth Rollins' comments are taken are pushed in a far more negative light. The way fans take him is a combination of his on-screen character being a goof and his off-screen character having no self-reflection and I wouldn't blame fans one bit for it.

There is only so much to work with and if the WWE books you the way they booked Seth, you better not try to big-league the rest of the wrestling industry

....dammit you got me. this is rock solid.

arm wrestle me. bet you cant beat me in that.

"Really loved his home country" lol. I'm sure it was deeper than Rusev loving his own country. While he did that, he also did everything in his power to shit on the US and the people and fans who live in it lol.

He didn't actually hate on America until he started to be assaulted :lol:

That made the whole thing so ridiculous

"Really loved his home country" lol. I'm sure it was deeper than Rusev loving his own country. While he did that, he also did everything in his power to shit on the US and the people and fans who live in it lol.

He didn't actually hate on America until he started to be assaulted :lol:

That made the whole thing so ridiculous

Exactly, he legit just loved his country and Cena was like this aint it bro. Legit go back and watch it. At one point Cena beat the shit out of him and an American flag fell from the ceiling when Rusev never said shit about America.

I have seen some of his indies stuff but based on his NXT run, he's a top fav of mine as well.

I am worried myself about his possible future on the main roster but he does deserve some big spotlight. He's a great powerhouse but is so much more and can bring a whole lot of goodness..but just can't trust wwe not to go with a comedy route

I know, they really botched not giving it to him when he was hot, I also know he isnt the most skilled, but he does try and he has a ton of folks he's never really touched that would be ,if anything, fun title matches. all I am trying to say is. if they are going for spectacle, Braun could be that in all the right ways.

Unpopular.

I don't mind that he didn't get a world title reign.

Even when he was hot, Braun would do nothing with the world title. I mean, sure, if Brock wasn't in the picture he would maybe get a short reign or something, but I can't see that it would benefit him greatly. I could totally see that if he was given the reign, that the fans would see hims as boring and stale or saying he was "ruined" in a month or two. And in spite that, he is still a star and has great value. Hell, he is still booked like a monster. If I remember correctly he was only pinned by Lesnar, Roman and Rollins. But I don't know did people really expect that he could be a top top guy? Idk, of course he had some down and goofy moments, but all that can still change in an instant and he could destroy anybody whenever and become a champion.