Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Probably not unpopular anymore but yeah they gotta do something different with Gargano. I groaned when I saw he was staying on NXT even though I expected it and then the matches have hit their ceiling, and not only did they hit their ceiling they have bounced off the ceiling and are now heading the opposition direction which isn't to say they're bad by any means but shit...idk turn him heel again. That was fun. Also the greenlight a lot of CENAWINSLOL/MakeRomanLookStrong fans give him to kick out of entire movesets is kinda ridiculous.

I really don't think it's fair to compare those two. For one while yes they both like to kick out of 3,956 different moves per match, Gargano is willing to at least make the trade off of not being able to hit his own stuff to protect his opponent in a sense, while Cena will hit his entire moveset, leaving his opponent with nothing. Plus, Gargano will actually give those wins back, twice over. Something Cena NEVER does. On top of that, Gargano's average match quality is so, so, so much higher than Cena's.

I'll start by saying that last part doesn't matter because I can disagree with you and neither of us would be wrong. How many times has Cena won a big match with a single AA or STF in his last 5 or so years of active competition? At this point I could probably kick out of the AA. So while he may not avoid hitting his own stuff, it doesn't work the majority of the time, so it's essentially the same effect. Also Cena rarely is put through the amount of hell Gargano kicks out of at Takeover. The closest thing in recent memory was Brock at Summerslam 14 and he lost that match. Also, Cena's win/loss record in high profile feuds isn't as lopsided as you may think. Punk, Seth, Brock, DBry, Rollins, Styles, Owens, on top of that his last 3 or so years he's been putting guys over clean in television matches. All that said, when Gargano kicks out of everything but a bullet to his head, it's just as annoying and all the "but he's Johnny Takeover!" justifications don't hold water with me.

I was initially not really buying into WALTER after seeing his first few NXT UK matches, but the Tyler Bate match won me over. That said, I think WALTER is like...99% complete right now, and needs a really decisive finisher that is his and his alone. The Powerbomb, Splash and Lariat he's used as finishers look fine and all, but are just so freaking bland as a match ending move. It can be a simple move, as most of his moveset is very straightforward, but I need something that isn't that damn generic.

I gotta disagree here. I think that makes WALTER even better. He doesn't have a move you have to look out for or avoid, no he's just gonna beat the shit outta you the whole match and then hit you really hard one last time with whatever he feels like doing and then pin you and there's nothing you can do. That adds so much to his presentation and makes him so much more believable imo. I honestly wouldn't mind him ending his next 45 min match with just one last big knife edge chop.

I was initially not really buying into WALTER after seeing his first few NXT UK matches, but the Tyler Bate match won me over. That said, I think WALTER is like...99% complete right now, and needs a really decisive finisher that is his and his alone. The Powerbomb, Splash and Lariat he's used as finishers look fine and all, but are just so freaking bland as a match ending move. It can be a simple move, as most of his moveset is very straightforward, but I need something that isn't that damn generic.

I gotta disagree here. I think that makes WALTER even better. He doesn't have a move you have to look out for or avoid, no he's just gonna beat the shit outta you the whole match and then hit you really hard one last time with whatever he feels like doing and then pin you and there's nothing you can do. That adds so much to his presentation and makes him so much more believable imo. I honestly wouldn't mind him ending his next 45 min match with just one last big knife edge chop.

I do see your point, but the move that ends a match is so important to me. I'd rather his matches end with a big exclamation point rather than just another move.

-Probably not unpopular anymore but yeah they gotta do something different with Gargano. I groaned when I saw he was staying on NXT even though I expected it and then the matches have hit their ceiling, and not only did they hit their ceiling they have bounced off the ceiling and are now heading the opposition direction which isn't to say they're bad by any means but shit...idk turn him heel again. That was fun. Also the greenlight a lot of CENAWINSLOL/MakeRomanLookStrong fans give him to kick out of entire movesets is kinda ridiculous.

I really don't think it's fair to compare those two. For one while yes they both like to kick out of 3,956 different moves per match, Gargano is willing to at least make the trade off of not being able to hit his own stuff to protect his opponent in a sense, while Cena will hit his entire moveset, leaving his opponent with nothing. Plus, Gargano will actually give those wins back, twice over. Something Cena NEVER does. On top of that, Gargano's average match quality is so, so, so much higher than Cena's.

I'll start by saying that last part doesn't matter because I can disagree with you and neither of us would be wrong. How many times has Cena won a big match with a single AA or STF in his last 5 or so years of active competition? At this point I could probably kick out of the AA. So while he may not avoid hitting his own stuff, it doesn't work the majority of the time, so it's essentially the same effect. Also Cena rarely is put through the amount of hell Gargano kicks out of at Takeover. The closest thing in recent memory was Brock at Summerslam 14 and he lost that match. Also, Cena's win/loss record in high profile feuds isn't as lopsided as you may think. Punk, Seth, Brock, DBry, Rollins, Styles, Owens, on top of that his last 3 or so years he's been putting guys over clean in television matches. All that said, when Gargano kicks out of everything but a bullet to his head, it's just as annoying and all the "but he's Johnny Takeover!" justifications don't hold water with me.

I'll give you he doesn't usually get the job done with only one finisher nowadays, but neither does Johnny when he does manage to get one of his moves in. As for your point about Johnny going through more hell? I think that comes down to the scale of it. When was the last time Cena was in a cage covered in weapons? I guarantee you if he was he'd be kicking out of the same shit Gargano was, plus more. As for his win/loss record against people? I'll break down each one for you:

Punk: Yes, he did put Punk over numerous times, but how many of those were clean? Plus he won the last match.

Seth: Yes Cena put him over at SummerSlam, but only after John Stewart got involved, plus he got his win right back at the following PPV.

Brock: Fair enough, I can't think of a time (bar Extreme Rules when Brock first came back) that Cena actually beat him.

Bryan: Yes Cena put him over "clean" in the sense that he didn't cheat or have any interference, but Ol' Johnny boy just had to make a point out of pointing out his injured elbow whenever he talked about it didn't you?

Styles; See CM Punk, though at least Cena put AJ over clean once ar SummerSlam.

Owens: Yes Cena put him over clean in the first match, but then he proceeded to no-sell Owen's apron powerbomb and beat him repeatedly, including Owens' first submission loss.

And that is not counting how he derailed Rusev, Nexus, the Wyatt Family, Mark Henry's fake retirement, and others. I'll give you he's getting better the last couple years, but that's like saying your AIDS has regressed to a common cold. Compare that to Gargano never beating Almas, Ciampa, and putting Cole over clean twice. Hell, until he beat Ricochet for the North American title at the start of this year, he had never even won a single Takeover match, and I am pretty sure his Takeover record is still in the negatives. Say what you want about him, but Gargano had never been as damaging to people as Cena.

I feel you on a lot of stuff EJ!, but I think on the issues I do, they are kinda unpopular here recently. But I don't want to get into them a lot since they were... well, a lot.

But I'll weigh on on the Gargano bit.

I think that people tend to overlook some parts on the whole kicking out of everything situation. I mean, ok, if you don't like that in matches, sure, that's your prerogative, but I think there are more elements to it than people give it credit. Like, I always read how in the Ciampa feud, crazy false finishes were kinda justified, and sure, I agree. But before and after that (with the Cole exception), did he really kick out of finishers, and if he did, won after that?

Back to Gargano vs Cole feud. The whole Gargano arch was that of a superhero (which was supper annoying to me btw, but hey), good gone bad and than good again. Then all the "pulling all the stops", "heart and soul going above and beyond" stuff came, and they were playing on that. Was it annoying? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no (for me). First match against Cole was pretty good, and even it got flack for the false finishes, it could have easily gone either way. It was WM weekend, this was a huge match for Adam Cole, but even bigger for Gargano. For him it was life or death for that title. His story arch finally came full circle and he won the NXT championship after all he has been through battling Ciampa, and battling himself. In that story his heart, sould and stamina prevailed. That was the story of that match. And it was played really well by both guys.

The second match, well to keep it short... he failed. It was again the point of doubt for him. BUT, the big difference is that he had to put over Adam Cole now. First off, it would probably look kind of silly if he won with just one finisher after that crazy match the last time. Sure, it was overblown at some points, like with the PCS to the outside spot, but even then, it's not like he just covered him and that's that. He had to get him back in the ring, etc etc. Second of all, Cole had to win alone, as he did. And the third point is, and maybe even the most important is that Adam Cole looked like a *censored*ing star when he won, because he beat Johnny Takeover, Johnny Wrestling, the heart and the yadda yadda, alone, after all that. And hell after the match, during the in ring celebration, Adam Cole like the champion that did the impossible. And boom (no pun intended), you have a well built up champion that doesn't depend on his friends, but can also use them if he wants to.

TL;DR: It made sense for the story. And I swear, I really don't believe I'm over analyzing or even trying to. It just seemed like a simple story that worked really good with everybody doing their part really well, hell, even the announcers and the production around it. And about the third match, well, to put it simply I think that's why it ended the way it did. There was literally nowhere else to go other than try to kill each other.

Tbh, I really don't get the comparisons. Talking about false finishes only seems superficial. Cena or Reigns stories, if you wish. Were rarely, or ever that simple but rich. Yes, they were simple and it worked for some audience obviously. The most basic premise are similar, true, but that's it.

What I'm wondering also is if the people who are taking the issue with it, think about NJPW matches. Especially "the big ones". I mean, this was kinda... that. I'm not trying to be ironic, I'm really interested. Cus my bro was always finding it so cool, with all the superfinishers and stuff, but then was kinda annoyed with this and find it didn't made sense? ...What?

I'll give you he doesn't usually get the job done with only one finisher nowadays, but neither does Johnny when he does manage to get one of his moves in. As for your point about Johnny going through more hell? I think that comes down to the scale of it. When was the last time Cena was in a cage covered in weapons? I guarantee you if he was he'd be kicking out of the same shit Gargano was, plus more. As for his win/loss record against people? I'll break down each one for you:

Punk: Yes, he did put Punk over numerous times, but how many of those were clean? Plus he won the last match.

Seth: Yes Cena put him over at SummerSlam, but only after John Stewart got involved, plus he got his win right back at the following PPV.

Brock: Fair enough, I can't think of a time (bar Extreme Rules when Brock first came back) that Cena actually beat him.

Bryan: Yes Cena put him over "clean" in the sense that he didn't cheat or have any interference, but Ol' Johnny boy just had to make a point out of pointing out his injured elbow whenever he talked about it didn't you?

Styles; See CM Punk, though at least Cena put AJ over clean once at SummerSlam.

Owens: Yes Cena put him over clean in the first match, but then he proceeded to no-sell Owen's apron powerbomb and beat him repeatedly, including Owens' first submission loss.

And that is not counting how he derailed Rusev, Nexus, the Wyatt Family, Mark Henry's fake retirement, and others. I'll give you he's getting better the last couple years, but that's like saying your AIDS has regressed to a common cold. Compare that to Gargano never beating Almas, Ciampa, and putting Cole over clean twice. Hell, until he beat Ricochet for the North American title at the start of this year, he had never even won a single Takeover match, and I am pretty sure his Takeover record is still in the negatives. Say what you want about him, but Gargano had never been as damaging to people as Cena.

I'm gonna give you the W/L record because that's a different conversation and doesn't take away from my point which is that Johnny kicking out is just as lame as Cena kicking out. I said Cena hasn't been put through the hell that Gargano has kicked out of and you provided the cage example but I don't think we even have to get that crazy. I can't think of one match where Cena kicks out of like 4 or 5 signature/finishers done on the outside or on the announce table or in rapid succession or by a group of guys. I gotta watch it again but he MAY have done that vs Reigns, but I really can't remember and I doubt it either way.

I feel you on a lot of stuff EJ!, but I think on the issues I do, they are kinda unpopular here recently. But I don't want to get into them a lot since they were... well, a lot.

But I'll weigh on on the Gargano bit.

I think that people tend to overlook some parts on the whole kicking out of everything situation. I mean, ok, if you don't like that in matches, sure, that's your prerogative, but I think there are more elements to it than people give it credit. Like, I always read how in the Ciampa feud, crazy false finishes were kinda justified, and sure, I agree. But before and after that (with the Cole exception), did he really kick out of finishers, and if he did, won after that?

Back to Gargano vs Cole feud. The whole Gargano arch was that of a superhero (which was supper annoying to me btw, but hey), good gone bad and than good again. Then all the "pulling all the stops", "heart and soul going above and beyond" stuff came, and they were playing on that. Was it annoying? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no (for me). First match against Cole was pretty good, and even it got flack for the false finishes, it could have easily gone either way. It was WM weekend, this was a huge match for Adam Cole, but even bigger for Gargano. For him it was life or death for that title. His story arch finally came full circle and he won the NXT championship after all he has been through battling Ciampa, and battling himself. In that story his heart, sould and stamina prevailed. That was the story of that match. And it was played really well by both guys.

The second match, well to keep it short... he failed. It was again the point of doubt for him. BUT, the big difference is that he had to put over Adam Cole now. First off, it would probably look kind of silly if he won with just one finisher after that crazy match the last time. Sure, it was overblown at some points, like with the PCS to the outside spot, but even then, it's not like he just covered him and that's that. He had to get him back in the ring, etc etc. Second of all, Cole had to win alone, as he did. And the third point is, and maybe even the most important is that Adam Cole looked like a *censored*ing star when he won, because he beat Johnny Takeover, Johnny Wrestling, the heart and the yadda yadda, alone, after all that. And hell after the match, during the in ring celebration, Adam Cole like the champion that did the impossible. And boom (no pun intended), you have a well built up champion that doesn't depend on his friends, but can also use them if he wants to.

TL;DR: It made sense for the story. And I swear, I really don't believe I'm over analyzing or even trying to. It just seemed like a simple story that worked really good with everybody doing their part really well, hell, even the announcers and the production around it. And about the third match, well, to put it simply I think that's why it ended the way it did. There was literally nowhere else to go other than try to kill each other.

Tbh, I really don't get the comparisons. Talking about false finishes only seems superficial. Cena or Reigns stories, if you wish. Were rarely, or ever that simple but rich. Yes, they were simple and it worked for some audience obviously. The most basic premise are similar, true, but that's it.

What I'm wondering also is if the people who are taking the issue with it, think about NJPW matches. Especially "the big ones". I mean, this was kinda... that. I'm not trying to be ironic, I'm really interested. Cus my bro was always finding it so cool, with all the superfinishers and stuff, but then was kinda annoyed with this and find it didn't made sense? ...What?

That's all well and good but you're invoking a lot of things that can't justify a human body taking his opponent's best shot 4-5 times in less than 10 minutes and still kicking out. I've seen people talk about the story arc and whatever but that doesn't matter to me. Wanting something really bad doesn't mean you aren't human, plus that reasoning falls flat when you realize he lost the following matches. Did he not want to be champion that bad anymore? Why couldn't he dig deep again? Cole winning made him more of a star but it would have been even more effective if it didn't take him doing his best moves a million times to finally beat him which ends up cheapening those moves in the end. The same stories could have been told without the kickouts. Present a big Cena match and a big Gargano match to a person without context and they'll see them both doing the same thing, then try to explain why Gargano's backstory gives him the strength to kickout and I'll bet you at least get a raised eyebrow from that person. You'll never see me argue that it makes sense for someone to kick out of a finisher unless it's somebody like Taker who's a teleporting zombie, or unless the person who kicked out of a finisher had their finisher kicked out of prior to that but you see how much of a mess that makes?

As far as NJPW, the pacing makes the false finishes easier to stomach and it helps that they fail to hit their finishers a bunch of times first before someone kicks out of one. An Okada match is basically him missing the Rainmaker for 27 minutes until he doesn't and then kills his opponent. The opponent may kick out of the first successful one but not before dodging it like six times, and then when he kicks out, you can maybe make the argument that his opponent had him scouted so well that though he wasn't able to dodge, he knew how to brace for impact and make the move less effective though the next one will probably finish him. Also, they know how to tell the entire Gargano story arc in one match. I still would prefer they not do the false finishes, but they do them okay, and in some cases it's to put over another move or a superfinisher like you say.

Styles; See CM Punk, though at least Cena put AJ over clean once at SummerSlam.

I'm gonna give you the W/L record because that's a different conversation and doesn't take away from my point which is that Johnny kicking out is just as lame as Cena kicking out. I said Cena hasn't been put through the hell that Gargano has kicked out of and you provided the cage example but I don't think we even have to get that crazy. I can't think of one match where Cena kicks out of like 4 or 5 signature/finishers done on the outside or on the announce table or in rapid succession or by a group of guys. I gotta watch it again but he MAY have done that vs Reigns, but I really can't remember and I doubt it either way.

I'm pretty sure if I was to dig through the Cena archives I could find something, though the two closest that spring to mind are Vs Rock at WM29 and Vs Bray Wyatt in a Steel Cage at Extreme Rules 2014, you are honestly telling me that only two months after handing the Shield their first real defeat, the Wyatts can't beat John Cena on his own, especially when two of you are in the cage at the same time? :shift: Though, I'll half give you Roman, as yes Cena did put him over surprisingly well, it was just a one-and-done deal, and made no difference to Roman in the long run.

Thats very contradictory.

WALTER's move-set is perfectly fine.

People may think WALTER's style is boring because of his basic move-set, but it isn't about the type of moves a wrestler has in their arsenal - it's how a wrestler executes those moves and the general psychology behind it. Every chop, big boot, and clothesline WALTER does is stiff as hell and it looks like he puts everything behind each blow; and if you couple that with his size and stature, it makes it that much devastating to watch.

Doing flashy moves doesn't automatically make a wrestler or a match engaging to watch, and having a bland move-set doesn't automatically make it boring, either. It all comes down to execution at the end of the day.

Edited by St★rstruck

I dont see whats wrong with his Twitter at all....

Never seen anyone let alone a wrestler tweet like that.

I dont think everything requires this deep down I dont get whats so funny analysis. He just types in caps and says weird random shit. No one else does it and finds it humorous. Thats it.

Yeah... My "analysis", which was the one sentence. Deep.

I don't find it funny because it misses the mark a lot. That's it.

Thats very contradictory.

Let me rephrase - I'm ok with him not finishing the match with a 630 senton or burning hammer, but I'd rather him not use a powerbomb that is thrown out by half the roster during their matches. A basic move is fine, but not one that everyone's already using. That's just anticlimactic to me.

Oresama suggested the Emerald Flowsion, which IMO would work great. Basic move, but not one that already appears in every other match.

In fact, WALTER having a finisher at all kinda takes away from his style of wrestling. As Lunchbox said, his style is about beating people down the entire match until they can't go anymore. Any move of his can be a finisher.

I do see your point, but the move that ends a match is so important to me. I'd rather his matches end with a big exclamation point rather than just another move.

I think how he does it is cool though and different. Its just not what youre used to.

I wish more guys had signatures or just an arsenal of moves that finished matches actually. Can you imagine if Zayn won with the Blue Thunder Bomb sometimes?

Or how AJ can with the Calf Crusher, Styles Clash, Forearm or Springboard 450? I love that.

I wanna see Rollins win with the top rope superplex Falcon Arrow too sometimes.

I think how he does it is cool though and different. Its just not what youre used to.

I wish more guys had signatures or just an arsenal of moves that finished matches actually. Can you imagine if Zayn won with the Blue Thunder Bomb sometimes?

Or how AJ can with the Calf Crusher, Styles Clash, Forearm or Springboard 450? I love that.

I wanna see Rollins win with the top rope superplex Falcon Arrow too sometimes.

Fair points, I actually really enjoy when that happens with guys like AJ.

In fact, WALTER having a finisher at all kinda takes away from his style of wrestling. As Lunchbox said, his style is about beating people down the entire match until they can't go anymore. Any move of his can be a finisher.

Like he can have a finisher, but use it for matches like the one with Tyler where is like the end all be all move to end things.

WALTER's move-set is perfectly fine.

People may think WALTER's style is boring because of his basic move-set, but it isn't about the type of moves a wrestler has in their arsenal - it's how a wrestler executes those moves and the general psychology behind it. Every chop, big boot, and clothesline WALTER does is stiff as hell and it looks like he puts everything behind each blow; and if you couple that with his size and stature, it makes it that much devastating to watch.

Doing flashy moves doesn't automatically make a wrestler or a match engaging to watch, and having a bland move-set doesn't automatically make it boring, either. It all comes down to execution at the end of the day.

I mean, that's already been the case for a few years now. Alexa and the Horsewomen are the only women consistently given the spotlight. Every one of them is good-great, but they're sitting on what could be an awesome womens division and booking it as absolutely mediocre, largely due to repetition.

I mean, that's already been the case for a few years now. Alexa and the Horsewomen are the only women consistently given the spotlight. Every one of them is good-great, but they're sitting on what could be an awesome womens division and booking it as absolutely mediocre, largely due to repetition.

This for real. Asuka, Kari, Cross, all deserve way better. Plus the amount of a talent just hanging out in NXT.

This for real. Asuka, Kari, Cross, all deserve way better. Plus the amount of a talent just hanging out in NXT.

Does she? Nikki Cross suuuuuxx