Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

Yea know, You're right Motown, I should have added Corino/Kelly to the list of gems in commentary But King/Ross?, I respectfully disagree, going back and listening, they were pretty awful together.

Fair enough. I actually agree about JR/King. There not as good as I thought.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My issue to Mauro is his constant pop culture references feel so forced and unnatural that they can completely take me out of the moment, and like I said, they're constant. Like an example a couple pages back, he dropped a lyric from a Drake song, why? How can that be said and be fitting with what's happening? And there's so many more examples. It's a shame cos he is one of the best commentators right now other than this, but it's so bad that it does sometimes ruin him as a whole for me. Most other WWE commentators aren't that good, but that's what I expect, whereas Mauro brings down his otherwise very good commentary with all these references (him yelling 'MAMMA F'N MIA' at the last takeover was so *censored*ing cringey as well). It's like the other commentators are a McDonalds veggie burger - it's not great, but you know what to expect, sometimes you even enjoy it. Whereas Mauro is a delicious gourmet veggie burger, you're enjoying it but then suddenly you take a bit and find a piece of meat! The burger may be better than the others you've had, but you can't look past that bite of meat.

Maaaaan, I dont know. I love Cathy Kelley and think shes beautiful, but I saw her tweet about her announcing that shes single and I just feel like everything she does is for attention. Lol I I follow her on twitter and its just like her modeling some outfit or I hear about what new wrestler shes dating :lol:

Its not important, just some thought I had when I read her tweet.

https://twitter.com/catherinekelley/status/1164741377688838144?s=21

Maaaaan, I dont know. I love Cathy Kelley and think shes beautiful, but I saw her tweet about her announcing that shes single and I just feel like everything she does is for attention. Lol I I follow her on twitter and its just like her modeling some outfit or I hear about what new wrestler shes dating :lol:

She's only using it to plug a good cause. She's in on the joke, it's cool.

She's only using it to plug a good cause. She's in on the joke, it's cool.

I actually see what she did there. She used her attention she gets from thirsty fans for something positive. Actually genius tbh.

Been playing some TEW based around 01, and watching some wrestling around the time period recently, and I really think WWE dropped the ball massively on the Austin/Flair feud during 02. Stone Cold Vs Ric Flair screams WrestleMania main event, and yet they were wasting it on RAW and B-level PPVs like Judgement Day. I see why Austin left.

Guest Fight Me.

Been playing some TEW based around 01, and watching some wrestling around the time period recently, and I really think WWE dropped the ball massively on the Austin/Flair feud during 02. Stone Cold Vs Ric Flair screams WrestleMania main event, and yet they were wasting it on RAW and B-level PPVs like Judgement Day. I see why Austin left.

Ric Flair in 2002 didn't have the confidence he once had until Evolution formed and they started rolling.

Edited by Fight Me.

Ric Flair in 2002 didn't have the confidence he once had until Evolution formed and they started rolling.

True. Just feels like a shame.

Despite that hes actually not bad at it, I couldn't stand Matt Striker on commentary. He was good, but what drive me buts especially in LU was he CONSTANTLY tried to get himself over instead of just focusing on the play by play. Or acting as if something relatively mundane was earth shattering just because it was happening in LU.

Striker has this "higher than thou" sound to his voice that comes across way too obnoxiously in his commentary. It always feels like he's talking-down to the viewers instead of sharing his passion about things. I guess that comes from him being a teacher, but he always sounded condescending as *Censored*. I can't tell you how many times I tuned that dude out completely because he was like "Lucha Libre...the ancient art of Mexican professional wrestling...blah, blah...the year 1899...blah...blah, blah". I guess Mauro does a similar thing, but you can feel the passion that he actually has about everything he says, so it's cool.

Striker has this "higher than thou" sound to his voice that comes across way too obnoxiously in his commentary. It always feels like he's talking-down to the viewers instead of sharing his passion about things. I guess that comes from him being a teacher, but he always sounded condescending as *Censored*. I can't tell you how many times I tuned that dude out completely because he was like "Lucha Libre...the ancient art of Mexican professional wrestling...blah, blah...the year 1899...blah...blah, blah". I guess Mauro does a similar thing, but you can feel the passion that he actually has about everything he says, so it's cool.

Nailed it tbh. Even when Cole or Jerry would talk down to him he still had that air of arrongance where i couldnt even be on Strikers side.

Nailed it tbh. Even when Cole or Jerry would talk down to him he still had that air of arrongance where i couldnt even be on Strikers side.

Striker wasn't bad in relation to how he broke down some of the moves, but other than that, he was a chore to listen too.

I was just thinking about this: Imagine if Dean was the one that turned instead of Seth and Roman, but instead of joining The Authority, Dean introduces Solomon Crowe, and they wreak havoc like they did in CZW.

Can we acknowledge NXT title runs as world champions now ? I guess they didnt do it for ECW, but NXT has been way more influential and revolutionary than theyve ever been. Its only fair with them getting more exposure.

Can we acknowledge NXT title runs as world champions now ? I guess they didnt do it for ECW, but NXT has been way more influential and revolutionary than theyve ever been. Its only fair with them getting more exposure.

Actually, they did count ECW since they said Chavo Guerrero and Matt Hardy were former world champions, but that was Impact Wrestling saying that, and they have been known to mess up on a lot of things.

NXT Champions are already considered world champions. When Drew McIntyre won it, an article came out on WWE.com that said he had finally fulfilled Vince McMahon's prophecy of becoming a world champion. Vince, as most of you know, dubbed Drew a future world champion during his debut in 2008(?), which led to him being known as the chosen one.

NXT Champions are already considered world champions. When Drew McIntyre won it, an article came out on WWE.com that said he had finally fulfilled Vince McMahon's prophecy of becoming a world champion. Vince, as most of you know, dubbed Drew a future world champion during his debut in 2008(?), which led to him being known as the chosen one.

WWE.com is one thing...but have they ever said it on commentary? Or is it recognized as accolades anywhere else ?

WWE.com is one thing...but have they ever said it on commentary? Or is it recognized as accolades anywhere else ?

Not that I know of. They only put it on the website