Unpopular AEW Opinions

Oresama

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jericho has never been a draw. He’s a detriment to the current product and offers zero value. He’s a leech. He’ll go hard for whatever company he’s signed to in the regards of just saying shit for shock value like a lap dog. His legacy is his longevity. 

To what extent are we saying Jericho was never a draw? Strictly in AEW? - He was a big draw when he first went there. He was basically the only recognizable name for a lot of casual viewers. Can't say I ever agreed with him being "needed"...but, that isn't the same as being a draw or not. He did draw casual viewers who were familiar with his name.

And if we're talking about Jericho never being a draw during the entire course of his career...well, that's silly for obvious reasons. He was definitely never the top guy, but he floated around in the top 5 on many occasions during his time in WWF/WWE.

I would love nothing more than for Jericho to leave AEW...sooner rather than later. But, I can't discredit everything he's ever done. - There was a time where his name had more value. - At one point, he was in consideration for G.O.A.T. cruiserweight...along with names like Rey Mysterio, Ultimo Dragon, Jushin Liger, etc...but he went to the well too many times.

On 2/28/2023 at 8:56 PM, Generations said:

To what extent are we saying Jericho was never a draw? Strictly in AEW? - He was a big draw when he first went there. He was basically the only recognizable name for a lot of casual viewers. Can't say I ever agreed with him being "needed"...but, that isn't the same as being a draw or not. He did draw casual viewers who were familiar with his name.

And if we're talking about Jericho never being a draw during the entire course of his career...well, that's silly for obvious reasons. He was definitely never the top guy, but he floated around in the top 5 on many occasions during his time in WWF/WWE.

I would love nothing more than for Jericho to leave AEW...sooner rather than later. But, I can't discredit everything he's ever done. - There was a time where his name had more value. - At one point, he was in consideration for G.O.A.T. cruiserweight...along with names like Rey Mysterio, Ultimo Dragon, Jushin Liger, etc...but he went to the well too many times.

When he was the undisputed champion he wasn’t even a focal point. That never screamed draw to me. 

1 hour ago, The Nerd said:

When he was the undisputed champion he wasn’t even a focal point. That never screamed draw to me. 

You seem to use the term "draw" in way too narrow of a lens, IMO.

Like I said before...Jericho was basically top five or ten during his height in WWE. He wasn't the top draw...but he was still a draw. Anyone who sees consistency in ratings is a draw. - When Jericho was undisputed champion (in 2001), he was in the company of people like Rock, Austin, HHH, and Undertaker. - I wouldn't put him above any of those guys for obvious reasons (even as the champion)...but he was in the same company.

Anyone could look at the roster of that era on paper and say "yeah...these are the top tier of guys". And Jericho was always in that mix. - You also had guys like Big Show, Kane, Hogan...and later, people like Benoit, Mysterio and Guerrero were in that mix. People moved up and down the list. (Austin, Rock, and Taker were always the top three)...but top five was open for interpretation...and top ten was even looser than that. But everyone in the top ten was a draw. Top five, even more so. (When he held the title, he was top five...at other times he was top ten). But, always a draw.

Hell...Jericho was a draw when he was feuding with Chyna for the IC title.

He was a draw when he was doing stuff with Edge and Christian and Trish Stratus. 

He was a draw when he debuted as the millennium man. 

He was always a draw of some form or another.

On 3/4/2023 at 6:51 PM, Generations said:

You seem to use the term "draw" in way too narrow of a lens, IMO.

Like I said before...Jericho was basically top five or ten during his height in WWE. He wasn't the top draw...but he was still a draw. Anyone who sees consistency in ratings is a draw. - When Jericho was undisputed champion (in 2001), he was in the company of people like Rock, Austin, HHH, and Undertaker. - I wouldn't put him above any of those guys for obvious reasons (even as the champion)...but he was in the same company.

Anyone could look at the roster of that era on paper and say "yeah...these are the top tier of guys". And Jericho was always in that mix. - You also had guys like Big Show, Kane, Hogan...and later, people like Benoit, Mysterio and Guerrero were in that mix. People moved up and down the list. (Austin, Rock, and Taker were always the top three)...but top five was open for interpretation...and top ten was even looser than that. But everyone in the top ten was a draw. Top five, even more so. (When he held the title, he was top five...at other times he was top ten). But, always a draw.

Hell...Jericho was a draw when he was feuding with Chyna for the IC title.

He was a draw when he was doing stuff with Edge and Christian and Trish Stratus. 

He was a draw when he debuted as the millennium man. 

He was always a draw of some form or another.

Draw is cut and dry for me. Either you’re the main reason people are watching including casuals, etc. Cena, Rock, Austin, he who won’t be named in the 80’s, Roman, Taker(Mania and etc), Punk. There are certain wrestlers that DRAW you in for the main reason you’re watching. I don’t remember any ppv I can remember where Jericho was on the card and I was said to myself, I’m ordering this ppv strictly for him. He’s more know to hardcore and loyal wrestling fans. Casual wise, I don’t see him drawing random to watch your company. Absolutely not. If I’m wrong, I’m fine with that but I don’t see him in that manner.

• 4 weeks later...

Vince back in charge of wwe, could only be positive for aew..

Said it a couple of months ago that the only person who could save aew, was Vince..

Either as an on screen charachter in aew or back in charge at wwe..

Tony's booking sucks...and we've seen him misuse or completely fail to use people in the past already (a continuing trend). That said...if WWE takes a hard turn back to the old ways (as Monday indicated it might)...then employees will be jumping ship, and viewers will leave WWE in droves. AEW will certainly benefit in some degree just from people being fed up with WWE again. Whether AEW deserves those viewers is a whole other debate...but there will be a margin of return for them. Hell...even if people don't want to support AEW directly, we do still have the working relationship between AEW and NJPW. So, if wrestlers ask for their releases and head to Japan...there's a high likelihood that people will be able to see those talents through AEW as well.

Anyway...really bad timing for WWE in terms of momentum. Especially with some of the top talents in the industry who are actively free agents, or about to become free agents. HHH had worked very hard to set up WWE for a very strong future. And it's finished. No Jay White. No Ibushi. No Kenny. All that shit out the window.

Lol...that whole bullshit thing about being a legitimate sports presentation with records that matter, and title shots going to people who have good win records, and the fans favorites being the ones who get pushed. So much absolute smoke blowing out TK's ass.

Unadulterated lies. Hahaha. 

• 5 months later...

It bothers me when I go on Twitter and see people praising Toni Storm for her current gimmick as if she wasn’t always great. It’s great that she’s getting her flowers finally but I guess I just can’t stand bandwagon fans…like a popular Twitter page will be like “Hey, Toni’s been amazing..” and suddenly everyone comes out the woodwork as if they weren’t criticizing her and her work weeks before she landed on this persona. Grinds my gears.

Archived