Unpopular AEW Opinions

Oresama

1 hour ago, PaperThinWalls said:

I don’t get what’s different about this Penta other than his gear has maybe a tad more black, that he carries around a shovel, and Alex is wearing a Halloween costume. I don’t get it at all and it makes me dislike Penta and his group even more.

this is where i’m at. i’ll even take it a step further. Penta *kinda* sucks without Fenix. what’s the point of changing your gimmick (?) if you just do mostly the same shit? 

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It honestly does annoy me that these small Indy companies get to have these first time dream matches between AEW talent, not on AEW shows. On one hand, I’m glad TK lets talent earn money elsewhere, but it really does take away the specialness of a lot of these matches and guys wrestling everywhere. And I say that as someone who’s seen AEW wrestlers at my small local Indy. 

btw I’m not talking about Briscoes/FTR

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Fight Me.
1 hour ago, The Nerd said:

Tony Khan has zero idea on how to build stars. 

o8p6urS.jpeg

????

Only exception here is Scorpio, great talent but they just got very lucky that the crowd wanted to see Sammy lose so bad lol

I argue Jade's the only one there that has any true 'star' power atm, even though she's green as hell. 

Hangman got over as hell for awhile but they repeatedly fumbled his booking and sadly now that he's champ he seems massively underwhelming. 

Jurassic Express are the sh*ts, the fact they still even have the belts when FTR is right there is ridiculous. Jungle boy although talented in the ring, has the same problems that most of the roster has, nonsensical spot fest matches, with no psychology, and he has very little charisma to boot. The dinosaur is a joke and clumsy as hell in the ring. Thank heavens the got rid of Marko but still, hardly top guys even if you do stick the straps on them.

I dont know enough to comment on Thunder, although she seems cool. 

As for Scorpio, he's another wet rag with not personality. With wishy washy booking and tbh I believe they should be invested more in Ethan Page, if I had to pick out of the two of them. 

Don't think Khan has made any stars at all yet, there is the ground work for a few of them laid out but hes not following those paths for some reason. Kingston could be a great anti-hero, Thunder Rosa and Jade are both destined for stardom, FTR could be legends.

Think Page could have been a star but i really think either they didn't have plans for him after he won the title, OR all the new influx of talent and Omega put things into a different lane from what it should be. 

Yeah, I don’t think he’s a star. Booking and creative is partially to blame (even though I know all his fans have loved it), but I think he’s also to blame. I thought he was capable of more — in-ring, on-the-mic, charisma, personality, etc. He just doesn’t have it. You put him against a guy like CM Punk or Bryan Danielson and I think it becomes very clear that he’s not main-event material. Mid-card, fine. Main-event? I don’t think so.

From the top: 

The Chase  - Hangman had one of the best babyface championship chases in recent memory, in any company. His decent into depression and alcoholism echoed problems and issues that aren't at all unrelatable to your average viewer and were grounded in a realism that few wrestling stories touch. But I think we can agree that claiming otherwise is a very unpopular opinion in the wrestling fandom.

Believability - Hangman currently has clean pinfall victories over 2 out of AEW's 4 biggest, upper echelon names (Danielson & Omega). The fact that he's going up against CM Punk next PPV and people genuinely don't know which way it's gonna go tells me that Hangman doesn't feel out of place in main event conversations at all. Should he beat Punk, that legitimizes him even more, and he'd only have one top star that he hasn't beaten at that point (Mox).

Match quality - If it's not enough that Hangman has beaten some top names, he's done so in absolute bangers and has been able to work multiple styles. His matches with Danielson were more traditional, his match with Archer was a very solid hardcore match, and then his matches with Cole were hybrids of the two styles. Plus, he's been able to thrown some creative twists along the way (the ref-assist Buckshot for example) and tell fun stories in each defense. 

Promo work - I wouldn't call Hangman the next Punk on the microphone, but he's able to go out and comfortably deliver promos week after week. Where he shines in promos are the subtle things. The tirade against Punk last week is a great example. He addressed the doubt from those who don't see him as 'belonging' in the main event and even let his emotions fire up to boiling point. Before he and Punk have even had much of a proper face-to-face, he's already established that this entire situation has him on edge and is playing into the online rumblings very well. And at the end of his rant, he throws that one, quick look off camera of "Woah... did I really just say that?" which ties into my next point...

Character work - This to me is where Hanger really excels. Through his promos, through his matches, Hangman has always built that next little layer to his persona. He's had opportunities to take cheap shots, to pull a dirty move when his inner self demons tempt him (ex. the last match with Cole when he had Cole incapacitated on the ropes). This is also coming off a long stretch in pro wrestling as a whole where most face characters are either squeaky clean or super edgy. It's a balanced, realistic in between. And a grounded realism in wrestling is really, really hard to come by.

Wrestling Representation - This is largely non-kayfabe, but thanks to the various statements he'll post semi-out of character, plugging charities, denouncing shitty moral/political stances, he's honestly the first wrestler I've ever been, well, proud to say represents not only the wrestling company I follow, but me as a wrestling fan. It's something so much more than just "oh yeah he wrestles good". 

I'm not gonna tell you he's a John Cena level multi-media superstar. Of course not. The man has been a main eventer for, what, 6 months? But for how he's handled himself in the position he's in, in a company as young as AEW? In the silly script fight driven soap opera that is the professional wrestling world, damn right I'd call him a star.

• 1 month later...

Pairing Hook with Danhausen has been an awful mistake. I liked what they had going for him with his string of squashes but now him doing this odd couple storyline with Danhausen has totally cool him off for me. It’s jobber material. It’s like a guy being paired up with R-Truth. Instead of elevating him, they’re further cementing his position in the lower-card which is not good. The longer they keep him paired up with this goof, the more he loses his edge.

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts on this Omega quote from a recent interview.

Storyline or real life based? Agree or disagree with him? 

Some are taking it as a shot at the "aew style" and with the recent injury wave - who can argue with him?

“If we just become physical vessels that are supposed to throw each other at the wall until everyone goes ‘kersplat’ and don’t get up again, that’s the kind of wrestling I can’t do anymore, and when I have to know that it’s time to pack it in.

We’re going there already and there are people trying to convince you that those are the best matches and five star matches. We have to be careful

• 3 months later...

AEW does way too many worked shoot promos. I feel like almost every main PPV feud is centered around mentioning a wrestlers past in WWE, and how they politicked their way to a top position, etc. Like it’s one thing for it to be MJF’s shtick, but  Britt Baker coming out with her stuff against Sarayah, not mention the sandbagging stuff. It’s too WCW/TNA-esque. 

How do you mess up Brian Danielson?.

Wasted potential,but there could still be time..

Oh,and please oh please stop the chair fetish - I can't believe Danielson was involved  with a chair throw angle knowing his health issue..

Another case of the Booker of the year not Caring for his wrestlers..

You know what? I don’t give a *Censored* anymore? I side with Punk. Does it matter? No. I’m a fan. My opinion means nothing in the grand scheme but it’s my right nonetheless. Yeah, he shitted on Vince etc and WWE for his reasons that aren’t up for me to defend or demean but to the core he has the ego that’s needed in wrestling. He has the ego that’s important in wrestling. It’s the same ego all the greats had in different ways. Some were willing to put you over more than others were but still, ego creates icons, ego breeds champions and ego makes you a legend in the end. Punk isn’t perfect but I would’ve smacked those three hoes also. The Bucks were jealous Punk drew more than they ever could. They’ve been the wrestling business for a min and they STILL can’t *censored*ing do it correctly. Kenny Omega, is an amazing talent and could be a draw on a bigger stage or if he was presented and produced better. The point is, Punk>>>>>the three of them. I don’t care who was there first. ?

Archived