Unpopular AEW Opinions

Oresama

I think being on a weekly show has really exposed the Bucks. Yes they have done stuff before but not to the same character work that a weekly cable show requires. I know they think all the insider terms and saying things with a wink and a nod are cool and funny and fans of theirs will eat it up but for a fan like me who knew them casually it’s a big turn off. Like I’m cool with getting yourself over but not at the expense of everyone around you and force yourselves to be the cool kids. Guys like Darby, Jungle Boy, and Page do it for me bc they have that cool factor without really trying. I also feel the same way about Omega as I do the Bucks. I know he is supposed to come off as an egomaniac and a little unhinged with control but his promos ramble and seem repetitive.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big problem too is they always sorta had a mouthpiece around them. In PWG they had Steen for a bit, in NJPW they had all of the BC, in ROH Cole and Scrull for a bit. Like you have a show with Jake Roberts and Eddie Kingston and hell even Don Calius can talk his ass off and than you go to Bucks trying to be tough guys. They kinda always excelled in the role of like guys who shit talk from afar because they always have some sorta third person to stand infront of them. 

i wanna shit on Cody some more if y’all don’t mind.

i know the Bucks pretty much said the rumors of beef between The Elite and Cody are false, but you can tell there’s merit to it when you watch the show. Omega/Jericho/Bucks and Cody clearly have different visions for what the show should be. Cody has main character syndrome. someone on Twitter made the joke that Cody basically has Wrestlemania entrances just to come out and cut a promo. the gender reveal…congrats to them but get the *Censored* outta here with that shit. nobody else on the roster would get a segment like that. he presents everything he does like it’s the main event of the show and yes, everybody should believe in what they’re doing on the show but it’s different when you have actual power and control. Cody has basically carved a separate show within Dynamite where he’s the lead, the protagonist, the main character and we’re watching HIS story unfold. every feud is more about him than it is about two dudes feuding. everyone else feels like a supporting character at best.

overall, i don’t hate Cody. i remember being a big fan of him, but giving him power was a mistake. say what you want about the rest of the EVPs but at least they blend in with the rest of the show. they feel like wrestlers and characters just like everyone else. Cody feels like an EVP before anything else.

9 hours ago, BestInTheWorld614 said:

Like I’m cool with getting yourself over but not at the expense of everyone around you and force yourselves to be the cool kids. 

Bingo.

They've gotten themselves over by essentially aligning themselves with the more over wrestlers and resorting to stupid superkick parties and pandering to the niche mark fans and dirtsheets. 

They're not believable as actual wrestlers, they never have been... it is like they're 'playing' wrestler. Absolutely nothing they do feels genuine and it comes across hokey and self indulgent. Their matches make little to no sense and for being the worlds greatest tag team they seem to have no understanding of the rules of the division they're apparently the masters of!

They got themselves over at the expense of the business.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:14 AM, PaperThinWalls said:

It’s funny how Cody mirrors Triple H and the Young Bucks mirror the Kliq. Great company to be compared to.

Oddly enough I said The Elite is essentially today's nWo, a day or two ago, for some reason lol.

I like what they're doing with them. Im a Cody mark, but I get what some are saying as far him basically being the Hogan or HHH of AEW. 

Also when he implaided that he'll blackball wwe "girls" if they'll try to join aew got eyebrows raising

He said

There are a couple of girls in WWE who said certain things and they probably shouldn't have said them. They probably didn't train them better, and in six months they'll surely be asking us for work and I'll remember that, so let's just leave it there.

Jericho’s bumps probably offend Shotzi because she’s clearly ready to die every match. can count how many times she almost killed herself on a dive.

but yeah there is entirely too much insecurity shown within this company

AEW overdoes it with themed episodes of Dynamite. I had thought that it was because of the pandemic, they're in same arena with few (if any) fans so they want to have something to make the shows stand out etc. but now they're going on the road again and have a month of them coming up. It's too much.

9 hours ago, glennsoe said:

I read somewhere that fans are turning sour on Jericho since it's been know that his wife was a part of the storming of the capitol and that he has donated money to Trump.

I'm bored with Jericho because his actual work is sloppy and uninspired. The political stuff definitely doesn't help matters. 

Chris will always be one of my favorite wrestlers from a historical perspective. And plenty of my favorite moments are Jericho moments. But, I did stop listening to 'Talk is Jericho' because of his political views. And his willingness to use his platform as a voice for certain conspiracy theories bothers the hell out of me (even if he claims to not outwardly believe them). At the end of the day, the work he's doing is not of a caliber that forces me to overlook some of the other things he's saying and doing. Which is a shame. I don't hate the guy. I'm not "boycotting" him. But...he could leave AEW tomorrow, and I wouldn't miss him.

That's about my stance on Jericho too. He's genuinely one of my all time favorites, and when he's at his best he's untouchable. But he hasn't really been at his best for a while. His choice to go for more of a brawler/heavyweight look slowed him down so damn much (I mean, his too obviously, but he put on weight and that was a bad move). And the Inner Circle has run its course, so it feels like a bit of a drag still seeing them every week.

I'd even go so far as to say if Jericho goes solo egomaniac again and actually catches on fire, I'd want to see him end his career as AEW Champion, run a "When I lose the title, my career is over, so get ready for a never ending title reign!" type gimmick. But I'd want him in the best shape possible for that.

His political views are shit, but he also doesn't feel super passionate about them? More like his wife is nutso and he's along for the ride. Maybe that's just what I want to believe, but he kinda strikes me as someone who's very surface level politically. Then again, I can't say I looked too far into them.

38 minutes ago, Counting Lights said:

His choice to go for more of a brawler/heavyweight look slowed him down so damn much (I mean, his too obviously, but he put on weight and that was a bad move).

lmao i wish he would be honest about that. he hasn’t had an impressive physique since the 90’s. being in shape sucks and is much harder at his age so he’s tired of trying. he just wants to eat without guilt and that’s okay. i always laugh when he makes it seem like this was something he decided when honestly his body made the decision for him.

7 minutes ago, EJ! said:

lmao i wish he would be honest about that. he hasn’t had an impressive physique since the 90’s. being in shape sucks and is much harder at his age so he’s tired of trying. he just wants to eat without guilt and that’s okay. i always laugh when he makes it seem like this was something he decided when honestly his body made the decision for him.

Honestly if that's the case then it is what it is. But knowing how much Jericho commits to gimmicks I'm able to believe he's telling the truth. 

Guest Fight Me.

He didn't look too bad in Japan. He said he wanted to get bigger there to be the big, scary American type like Bruiser Brody. But it probably did get out of hand after that and can't lose it now lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived