Unpopular AEW Opinions

Oresama

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gallows and Anderson are kinda cringe. I guess this mainly refers to their BTE stuff, but... watching a pair of guys in their 40's acting like they're still in their college frat years isn't my thing. And it's totally an age thing, tbh. If you had a pair of guys' in their 20's doing this stuff, I'd probably like it a lot more. Maybe if I was twenty years older I'd look at it more fondly, but as a guy in my 20's, it's like watching my dad act like a teen.

Guest Fight Me.

I think I read somewhere that that's kind of the point. They're supposed to be overexaggerated versions of their old selves. They're supposed to come off as those old friends still stuck in that college mindset that you've kind of outgrown. Or perhaps that's was just wishful thinking lol

I did read that apparently their match last week had to be heavily edited because of all the sexual innuendos they made during the match lol

• 4 weeks later...

AEW needs to chill with the Joshi stuff. I know they’re regarded as the best women’s wrestlers in the world but they have to build a home base too, which they barely have and just borrowing from other promotions doesn’t cut it. Also, not everything in Japan is gonna translate well over to the American audience. 

Riho is my favorite and I’m excited to see what Maki Itoh will do but even that may not 100% work over here. Shida is cool but not really interesting with a defined gimmick. The Japanese women’s wrestlers have all been hits though because they developed characters and established themselves in NXT first over time. It wasn’t just like “I made classics over in stardom now watch me rise to the top”. I just think overall they’re relying too much on the Joshi wrestlers to carry the division as a whole on American mainstream television. 

You can’t just plop Okada or Naito in there and expect casuals on TNT to react or care either. Y’know? 

Yeah I definitely agree with that. The tournament was weird to invest in not knowing half the participants. I'd be down to see more of Maki Itoh and Yuka Sakazaki, but I need to know more about their characters too. Right now, them plus Kong & Mizunami are the only people I could even name from the Japanese bracket.

In general I think I'd like AEW to "establish" new stars more, even if they're relatively known to indy fans. NXT does that pretty well. I knew of Bobby Roode or EC3 before they debuted, but they still took a few weeks to let them talk so I got to know them. AEW just signs people and sends em out without much explanation. 

Right. It’s like they rely too much on everyone being hardcore fans to their detriment...

I may be a hardcore fan but it doesn’t mean I spend my time binging Ice Ribbon & Stardom. People have different levels of fandom and a lot of third other promotions are niche. 

Guest Fight Me.
Just now, Austin3035 said:

They should have flip and announce christian and then made big show the surpise

But Paul Wight will mainly be a commentor? Lol

People overstate Wight’s star power. Are casuals familiar with him? Yes, I think so (although as the Big Show — go up to a casual and say “AEW signed Paul Wight!” and most likely you’ll get a blank stare). But is he going attract a significant amount of new viewers? I highly doubt it. He’s the sort of guy who people remember but are surprised to hear he’s still around when you tell them. Pretty much the same can be said for Christian. Which exemplifies how wrong AEW got this (at least in terms of fan reception). They over-promised and under-delivered. That’s what happened. It’s not the fans’ fault. AEW knew what game they were playing. They knew there would be fans guessing big names like Punk and Lesnar. Of course they would. That’s how it goes when you use this promotional tactic. They wanted people talking and that’s what they got. And they’re probably very pleased with that. But for people not to recognize this for what it was: a cheap, carny tactic that capitalized on fan enthusiasm and wishful thinking— then you’re being willfully ignorant.

So for Tony Khan and co. I think ultimately what was more important to them was the buzz they generated as oppose to delivering an actual big name that warranted such promotion and hype. It’s very TNA of them and they knew they would be able to deflect the negative reception better than TNA ever could because they know how loyal their fans are. And so for that reason, it would not surprise me if they continue to take advantage of this tactic and be more effective with it longer than TNA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 1:01 PM, PaperThinWalls said:

People overstate Wight’s star power. Are casuals familiar with him? Yes, I think so (although as the Big Show — go up to a casual and say “AEW signed Paul Wight!” and most likely you’ll get a blank stare). But is he going attract a significant amount of new viewers? I highly doubt it. He’s the sort of guy who people remember but are surprised to hear he’s still around when you tell them. Pretty much the same can be said for Christian. Which exemplifies how wrong AEW got this (at least in terms of fan reception). They over-promised and under-delivered. That’s what happened. It’s not the fans’ fault. AEW knew what game they were playing. They knew there would be fans guessing big names like Punk and Lesnar. Of course they would. That’s how it goes when you use this promotional tactic. They wanted people talking and that’s what they got. And they’re probably very pleased with that. But for people not to recognize this for what it was: a cheap, carny tactic that capitalized on fan enthusiasm and wishful thinking— then you’re being willfully ignorant.

So for Tony Khan and co. I think ultimately what was more important to them was the buzz they generated as oppose to delivering an actual big name that warranted such promotion and hype. It’s very TNA of them and they knew they would be able to deflect the negative reception better than TNA ever could because they know how loyal their fans are. And so for that reason, it would not surprise me if they continue to take advantage of this tactic and be more effective with it longer than TNA.

I don't think it's underestimating but compared to the two star powers of Christian and Big show Big show has more going for him as he did have a somewhat popular Netflix show before Netflix canceled it so because of that casual fans will probably have a better idea of who he is

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t hate whey they’re doing with Matt Hardy and it’s better than the stale Broken stuff, but he’s getting a little bit too much prominent TV time for my liking. 

Like I’m happy he’s finally happy,  and it’s miles better than what he was doing in WWE, but I’d rather get some of those new guys on Dynamite than seeing him every week. 

Guest Fight Me.
5 hours ago, Bushy. said:

I don’t hate whey they’re doing with Matt Hardy and it’s better than the stale Broken stuff, but he’s getting a little bit too much prominent TV time for my liking. 

Like I’m happy he’s finally happy,  and it’s miles better than what he was doing in WWE, but I’d rather get some of those new guys on Dynamite than seeing him every week. 

He's literally there just to make Private Party and now The Butcher and The Blade look like a million bucks every week. And he even got The Bunny featured on Dynamite in matches, something she hasn't done much besides when she's Allie lol

3 hours ago, Fight Me. said:

He's literally there just to make Private Party and now The Butcher and The Blade look like a million bucks every week. And he even got The Bunny featured on Dynamite in matches, something she hasn't done much besides when she's Allie lol

That’s 100% wrong. He’s ore of a feature in leading them. They’re more like his lackies if anything. And wasn’t he the one that got a singles match on Revolution? Matt Hardy is definitely meant to be the main attraction of his faction. Idk how you can dispute that or the amount of time he’s been on TV since going to AEW. 

I'm liking Matt personally. I didn't think I'd like Money Matt, but his BTE stuff is consistently good. 

That said, I did like his multiple personalities thing too.

Regardless, it feels good to enjoy Matt Hardy again. He was a huge childhood favorite of mine and he really hit a rough patch for a while.

Archived