Unpopular AEW Opinions

Oresama

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The entire Nightmare Family concept is kind of annoying for me. Cody coming out with an entourage for big matches, Brandi, Dustin and QT being a team just because they're either married, brothers or friends with Cody, it's kinda lame. If Dustin is to stay active, I think he'd be better off running solo. I would not be opposed to seeing him with the TNT title sometime for a shorter run, as he can still go. And QT is just not captivating enough to be anything more than a jobber IMO.

Brandi's the weird one, because she's a pretty solid talker and character, but nothing she's done has been all that interesting. Shame Awesome Kong didn't stick around, that pairing worked for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Shawn Spears sucks. 

I liked Lance Archer better in NJPW even though he’s being booked great in AEW. I just can’t find myself caring for anything he does tbh. 

Hangman and Omega should’ve lost the belt months ago.  I understand long term storytelling though, but still. Maybe they should’ve had actual matching attires and music /entrance or something to feel more like a team.  Idk. Just always feels like they were gonna split but they dragged this out for 8 months

I’m happy he’ll get the chance to prove himself, but I don’t think Matt Cardona is gonna have some revolutionary career revival at this point. Like I just don’t see that “potential” in him a guy like Drew had getting released. I’d have more hope if he got released more near his peak of popularity. 

Really love Mox in AEW but I’m ready for a new champ now.

6 hours ago, Fight Me. said:

I don't think those Spears and Archer opinions are unpopular lol

People are still hoping he can “breakout” since WWE didn’t give him the ball. I don’t think he can. 

Archer is getting pushed as a main event threat and some are happy with it. I’m not. 

I have a  few more. 

I don’t mind seeing Hager as an enforcer, but I really don’t care to see him wrestle at all. 

I don’t care about Colt Cabana at all. With him in the Dark Order I’d like to see him completely heel. Maybe he’ll slow burn into it  

Best Friends are cool but I think they are a bit overpushed/protected  

I love Darby but he needs to tone down these dangerous spots. He can still be a huge star taking punishment like Jeff Hardy did but he’s gonna end up legit killing himself on TV or getting seriously injured. 

That’s all I have for a while lol. Sorry for the negativity. 

Not sure where people on here stand with this. But seeing it all on social media made me put it here. I don’t see why fans don’t like AEW signing past WWE star or guys who’ve been released. Guys get to make a living and possibly be treated better. We get to see a new side of these guys possible. For example, I’ve loved Moxley better now than I ever enjoyed him in WWE outside of The Shield. People saying stuff like they’re turning into the new TNA, etc, I don’t see it that way. AEW has overall been better booked imo and the newer previous WWE guys have been thriving imo. Minus Matt but that’s, ehh.

Moved your post here since it's more AEW related.

While there are some WWE talent that I want to see be showcased in a better way (such as the Revival), when it comes to a brand new company, I still would like some emphasis put on new faces to be showcased. Early on the mixture of old and new was just about right (except maybe the women's division) but in the last year it seems the mixture has gotten slightly off balanced. On that same note, the new signees are more experienced and better trained, so you can't blame them too much either. That said... I don't want them to lose sight of giving wider exposure to underseen talent (like your MJFs or Sammy Gs), so what I'll say is be cautious about hiring WWE castoffs for the next 8 months or so because you don't want to further the imbalance.

1 hour ago, A.O.L. said:

Not sure where people on here stand with this. But seeing it all on social media made me put it here. I don’t see why fans don’t like AEW signing past WWE star or guys who’ve been released. Guys get to make a living and possibly be treated better. We get to see a new side of these guys possible. For example, I’ve loved Moxley better now than I ever enjoyed him in WWE outside of The Shield. People saying stuff like they’re turning into the new TNA, etc, I don’t see it that way. AEW has overall been better booked imo and the newer previous WWE guys have been thriving imo. Minus Matt but that’s, ehh.

AEW was suppose to be showcasing great talent that hasn't been giving a chance at that stage. All the current male champions started last year in WWE. People probably feel like the non WWE talent are placeholders until more WWE talent is available.

Virtually everyone is from some place else and will be initially recognized as this wrestler from that organisation, but given time and freedom, a new path can be forged for them.

Having both the AEW and TNT titles held by ex WWE guys is not ideal, but hardly cause for concern. The concern is when more and more talent is acquired, giving less opportunity for the younger roster to both showcase and grow. We could be left with a roster that has a huge experience gap in the future - strong experienced workers and weak indy outlaws.

AEW need to slow their roll and work on the quality of talent (get the psychology and fundamentals right), booking a weekly show properly (more conservative storytelling style) and building and executing a PPV well (break out the flippy and extreme $#!+ here).

21 hours ago, A.O.L. said:

I think its a mix of people being mad cause AEW promised to be different and if they keep signing WWE guys its not, and people being mad cause TNA got so much flak for doing that and AEW isn't getting any shit for it.

I feel like complaining about signing someone just because they worked for WWE is so freaking stupid. What, are they tainted goods now because they worked for Vince? I don't think they should sign any and every ex-WWE star that comes knocking, but using "Oh they're a WWE guy!" as an excuse to complain about someone getting signed is just weak. There's definitely former WWE guys who I don't see the point in signing (Cardona for example) but that comes down to him not having any hype around him in 2020, not him being a "WWE guy".

• 2 months later...

Not sure if it's unpopular because I haven't been on in sometime, but the whole idea behind them not wanting to focus on heels and babyfaces in a traditional sense is absolutely absurd. It makes most of your matches and angles absolutely pointless and leaves no room to build much over a longer period of time. No feeling of wanting to care about talent when there's nothing to relate to. 

And if they do do something right, it'll be completely looked over the following week. And they all do the same high risk spots and do it every week to the point it means nothing. 

Also Darby Allin and the Young Bucks are absolute jokes.

1 hour ago, PaperThinWalls said:

The jackass stunts and excessive unnecessary bumps are undoubtedly dumb, but that kid can sell his ass off. You’re absolutely right about The Young Bucks, though.

I will give you that. He can sell and take an ass whoopin'.  Same with Orange Cassidy. Other than that I don't see alot of redeeming qualities in either one of them but that's just me.

Darby's got this innate charisma to him. One of those things you can't teach. I saw him for the first time ever on one of AEW's pseudo PPV's before they officially launched, and within a few minutes the dude turned me into a fan. He reminds me a lot of a younger Jeff Hardy.

I agree some (maybe more than some) of his stunts are overkill because he's literally killing himself and breaking his body when he doesn't have to, and I'm guessing that's a habit from the indies. Wrestling for 50 people a night if he was lucky, the guy probably did anything he could to make sure people would remember him, and he needs to realize that's not necessary anymore (at least, not in the literally throwing yourself off a ramp in a bodybag way). But like PTW said, his fundamentals are crisp and a lot of his ring work is just so smooth.

Archived