Unpopular AEW Opinions

Oresama

I actually really like the stage. The tunnels and that starship thing that Cody uses are cool.

I do have an issue with a lot of finishers being similar. Like, Riho and Shida are both using low knees, Lucha Bros and Best Friends tag finishes are both foot stomp assisted drivers, Britt and PAC are using versions of the Rings of Saturn, I'd like to see a bit more variety.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually really like the stage. The tunnels and that starship thing that Cody uses are cool.

I do have an issue with a lot of finishers being similar. Like, Riho and Shida are both using low knees, Lucha Bros and Best Friends tag finishes are both foot stomp assisted drivers, Britt and PAC are using versions of the Rings of Saturn, I'd like to see a bit more variety.

The finishers and moves could have a little more variety. Shida has a lot of other ways she could finish a match so Riho could keep that one. Lucha Bros have a lot more success with the move so the should keep the move though they have a lot of offense that could make good finisher. Britt's Lockjaw looks so awkward to apply and doesn't look painful so she could drop that for something else.

People who think AEW are actually going to be "a true alternative" from WWE are drinking too much of the kool aid. I love Dynamite so far and am more than willing to shill for the show, but there is only so "different" an international wrestling TV show can be. The best thing AEW can do is right all the pointless millions of wrongs WWE do.

So far they have been. For the most part.

All AEW needs to do is have coherent stories and refrain from corny moments like WWE.

That's all they need to do to entice people who never stopped watching wrestling, sure. They'll get the the crossover numbers just fine by doing that. They'll get the people who complain about WWE being shit but have kept watching WWE all these years anyway.

But, they aren't going to get that huge demographic that stopped watching wrestling back when WCW died...(which is what they said they were going for all along). They definitely painted this picture of pro wrestling being hard-hitting, and manly, and tough, and "real" again...and they aren't doing any of that. Promotions like MLW and NJPW have a better pure wrestling product in that regard. And the storylines in AEW haven't been great either. You have what is essentially a WWE authority angle, but with Cody and the Bucks instead of McMahons.

for me AEWs biggest issue so far is they create questions that they dont do a good job of answering. why is this happening? why is this allowed? who is this guy? where is this guy? from the match rules to the storytelling, everything is kinda up in the air. nobody should have to go on Youtube to understand a story that they didnt tell on their television show. AEW does a lot of cool shit without reason, which of course is better than doing lame shit without reason (WWE), but i still would like to know how or why we get this cool shit.

for me AEWs biggest issue so far is they create questions that they dont do a good job of answering. why is this happening? why is this allowed? who is this guy? where is this guy? from the match rules to the storytelling, everything is kinda up in the air. nobody should have to go on Youtube to understand a story that they didnt tell on their television show. AEW does a lot of cool shit without reason, which of course is better than doing lame shit without reason (WWE), but i still would like to know how or why we get this cool shit.

It's beginning to become clear to me that AEW doesn't seem to know how to tell or build stories properly outside of anything involving Cody or Jericho for the most part. They can be as senseless and perplexing as WWE, which is a shame. I hope things improve in the coming months.

It's beginning to become clear to me that AEW doesn't seem to know how to tell or build stories properly outside of anything involving Cody or Jericho for the most part. They can be as senseless and perplexing as WWE, which is a shame. I hope things improve in the coming months.

yeah i agree and of course im gonna give them the benefit of the doubt but like the Full Gear card is a good example of the storytelling issues. Cody vs Jericho is fine, every other match feels like theyre just riding the starpower of the names. none of the other matches had a natural buildup of heat but theyre presented to us as culminations of blood feuds. im excited for Mox vs Omega but i still dont understand why its happening and why its in an extreme+ match. i get Mox wanted to come at the top guy but after last episode, now the feud seems like Mox vs Authority with Omega being a supporting character...and that doesnt warrant an unsanctioned match, they dont even hate each other that much it seems like. i dont know. PAC vs Page...like theyve barely interacted since theyre last match. i dont know. hopefully after Full Gear theyll start telling stories on TV a lot better.

Especially for the more unknown people. Full Gear's card one week before the ppv is the Elite, people known from their time in WWE, and a team from Impact. All the people most either knew already or atleast heard there names before.

A lot of build up is done on the elite youtube channel than on the show or official AEW social media for some reason. Kenny cut an amazing promo ripping into Moxley for getting injured and their match being canceled at All Out but it was done in the middle of a random Being The Elite episode

right. stuff like that should 100% be on TV. i appreciate what theyve done with BTE but youre on TV now, thats like Game of Thrones having Theons death be exclusively on HBO.com or some shit. i appreciate them wanting to give us great matches every week but NXT, MLW, NWA are all good examples of doing that while still telling great stories. i think i can safely say if i had no clue who any of these people were and ive watched each episode since day one, i would not be able to tell you why Mox and Omega are not only feuding, but having a career-threatening match. Mox was bragging about there not being any writers, cool, but you see how messy things can get.

i would say Dynamite after Full Gear should be a clean slate. i dont think theyre doing monthly PPVs so they got time thoroughly build stories from the ground up. the wrestling is already there, once they figure out stories and non-Elite characters, theyre golden.

A lot of build up is done on the elite youtube channel than on the show or official AEW social media for some reason. Kenny cut an amazing promo ripping into Moxley for getting injured and their match being canceled at All Out but it was done in the middle of a random Being The Elite episode

right. stuff like that should 100% be on TV. i appreciate what theyve done with BTE but youre on TV now, thats like Game of Thrones having Theons death be exclusively on HBO.com or some shit. i appreciate them wanting to give us great matches every week but NXT, MLW, NWA are all good examples of doing that while still telling great stories. i think i can safely say if i had no clue who any of these people were and ive watched each episode since day one, i would not be able to tell you why Mox and Omega are not only feuding, but having a career-threatening match. Mox was bragging about there not being any writers, cool, but you see how messy things can get.

i would say Dynamite after Full Gear should be a clean slate. i dont think theyre doing monthly PPVs so they got time thoroughly build stories from the ground up. the wrestling is already there, once they figure out stories and non-Elite characters, theyre golden.

I agree with this tbh.

AEW puts out way to much merch. Makes me feel like they are trying to take advantage of the fanbase. Not counting shirts that wrestlers made on their theres over 80 different AEW shirts that people can buy with a tiny roster.

It is but it is nowhere nearly as bad of WWE with Cena fans. Were they sold a logo on a different color shirt multiple times.

AEW seems to want to strike while things are the hottest so rush a new design the second something because cool then quick switch to something else before something slows down.

Adam Page did a promo that got a good reaction. T-shirt. Which is a pretty cool t-shirt

And that's how you sell merch.

The only thing I can see it being "annoying" is when, yeah same old Cena just changed colors that were sometimes random asf. Then it can actually affect you visually, because some of them were horrendous and an eye sore.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure what is there to be annoyed about.

Archived