Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jmerc

Sony Pictures Chief on Spider-Man Split: ‘For the Moment the Door is Closed’

Fans holding out hope that Spider-Man might be returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be disappointed to hear that “for the moment the door is closed,” according to Sony Pictures chairman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra.

The studio is in production on a second “Venom” film, a picture based on the character Morbius and “five or six” TV series set in the Spider-Man world. The Sony boss bullishly expressed his belief that the character will do “just fine” outside of the MCU, pointing to the success of “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” and the Sony-Amazon series “The Boys” as evidence that Sony is fully capable of hitting the mark on the superhero front.

“Spider-Man was fine before the event movies, did better with the event movies, and now that we have our own universe, he will play off the other characters as well,” Vinciquerra said. “I think we’re pretty capable of doing what we have to do here.”

http://variety.com/2019/film/news/spiderman-mcu-sony-pictures-chief-1203324907/

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Spider-Man was Fine before the event movies" yeah Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2(even though I liked it, personal reason) says hello. Yeah Spiderverse did great. But solo Sony Spider-Man doesn't end well. And not everyone liked Venom. Yeah Disney got greedy, I wish they'd come to an agreement because Spider-Man belongs in the MCU. And he deserves to be in the MCU

I finally watched Far From Home. Holy shit now THAT is how you do a Spider-man flick! Top to bottom one of the most enjoyable movies in recent memory. Mysterio was cool as hell.

Its so good aye!!

Made the whole Sony/Marvel thing so much sadder

I had no idea Solid Snake wrote for the first two X-Men movies and originally was gonna write the Black Widow movie 15 years ago. It's really too bad if he doesn't get any involvement in this one :(

Sony is still pitching offers to Marvel about Spidey so it's not over yet. I dunno, I think Marvel will fold. They've already invested so much into Spiderman that at some point they gotta be willing to play ball. Sony does want more than just Spidey himself (Venom) in the MCU though which lets me know they really wanna make a deal and one that sticks since obviously the more characters you throw in, the more disruptive it is to the universe if the agreement falls through

• 2 weeks later...