Official NXT Takeover: Toronto Discussion Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following the amazing main event at NXT TakeOver: Toronto, Johnny Gargano walked towards the stage area and he got a standing ovation from the crowd at the Scotiabank Arena.

As you can see below, he was joined on the stage by William Regal. Regal gave him a hug and it came across to fans in attendance as if this his was goodbye to the brand.

Gargano was briefly moved up to the main roster earlier this year and he wrestled a few tag team matches with partner Tommaso Ciampa but he was still officially part of NXT at that time.

Now it looks like Gargano might be making a permanent move to Raw or SmackDown Live. We should know more for sure in the next few days.

For those of you that missed TakeOver: Toronto, I would strongly suggest for you to check out that show on the WWE Network.

Here is a clip of Gargano after the show.

https://twitter.com/AminAjani/status/1160373752464576514?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=safari-reader%3A%2F%2Fwrestlingnews.co%2Fwwe-news%2Ftop-wwe-nxt-star-moving-up-to-the-main-roster%2F

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/top-wwe-nxt-star-moving-up-to-the-main-roster/

I kind of agree with that twitter post saying NXT is missing something. Toronto was def a fun show but i really didnt have any investment in not one of the matches. And man did that womens title match make me eyeroll.

I kind of agree with that twitter post saying NXT is missing something. Toronto was def a fun show but i really didnt have any investment in not one of the matches. And man did that womens title match make me eyeroll.

I think its a mix of a couple things for NXT. Its very much a transitional phase where there is a lot of talent that needs to be built up which is why you have been having a lot of the same in the main event scene. NXT used to have a much more fluid main event scene but I think the overall roster is lacking compared to the past and thats due to the many call ups over the past year. Also I do feel like some of the matches, especially the tag title and main event matches are trying too hard to top themselves. Yes they are still good but even when there is a story behind the match like Cole/Gargano, when you try to kinda shut your brain off and enjoy the story it still just feels like doing moves just to keep having a crazy match. I kind of want NXT to take a step back and go back to the simple approach and let the characters and stories make the match instead of all the crazy sequences and near falls.

I'm more invested into VD than anyone. I have been for a minute. Everyone else is cool, I guess... but outside of them being those type of wrestlers who simply have "fun matches", what else do they bring? VD actually manages to do both - he's charismatic as *Censored* AND has a fun matches almost all the time.

It annoys me to no end that that wasnt the Womens title match and it shouldve been since Io shouldve won the belt last Takeover. So frustrating sometimes ugh

I felt like it was a good move for Io to not win the title so soon. Io honestly has never gotten that much of a reaction from the crowd up until now when she turned heel anyways.

Kind of a weak show by NXT standards. Still good, but a bottom tier takeover.

SP vs UE - It picked up, but it really dragged to start off. Once it got good, it stayed good.

Io vs Candice - REALLY good. Io needs to tone down on the Nikki Cross spasms though. The long, dark stares are much better to get her character across. Both women came across as stars though.

NA title match - my MotN, everything about this match kicked ass

Shayna vs Yim - Meh. Nothing special. Mia Yim was a total filler challenger and I had a hard time paying attention.

Gargano vs Cole - It was a bit much for me. I liked the first two falls a lot, but that third fall felt very, I dunno, indy. Tons of canadian destroyers, absurd stipulation, it was kind of overkill. Still fun, but I was just pulled from the immersion a few times too many.

The Canadian Destroyer being over used with not much of an effect to end matches like the DDT or super kick now sucks!

Tbh I love spammed superkicks. I dont mind it as a transitional move. CD should not be lol.

The Canadian Destroyer being over used with not much of an effect to end matches like the DDT or super kick now sucks!

Tbh I love spammed superkicks. I dont mind it as a transitional move. CD should not be lol.

Spammed superkicks make more sense because there's no setup, it's just a thrusting kick.

Spammed superkicks make more sense because there's no setup, it's just a thrusting kick.

Yeah I love it tbh. I understood why old HBK fans got bothered by it though.

As an HBK guy, that's why it bothered for a long time lol but I'm used to it now and am okay with it but was just saying I hope the Canadian Destroyer doesn't become like that but it eventually probably will as wrestling changes with the times as it did from the old days to the 80's and the 90's to now

Archived