WWE names Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff Executive Directors of Raw and SmackDown LIVE

kidd0

WWE has named Paul Heyman as Executive Director of Monday Night Raw and Eric Bischoff as Executive Director of SmackDown LIVE, newly created positions reporting directly to WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon.

In their executive roles, Heyman and Bischoff will oversee the creative development of WWE’s flagship programming and ensure integration across all platforms and lines of business. The creation of these roles further establishes WWE’s ability to continuously reinvent its global brand while providing two distinct creative processes for its flagship shows.

With more than 30 years of experience in the sports-entertainment industry, Heyman served as President of ECW from 1993 to 2001, securing pay-per-view distribution for the company as well as a national cable television deal with TNN. After his time with ECW, Heyman joined WWE’s Creative team and is widely credited with helping launch the careers of many current and former WWE Superstars.

Bischoff is a former WCW President and New York Times bestselling author. During his WCW career, Bischoff oversaw the signing of some of the biggest names in sports-entertainment and helped create and develop the nWo storyline. He was also instrumental in securing a television deal for WCW Monday Nitro on TNT and WCW Thunder on TBS. After WCW, Bischoff co-founded Bischoff-Hervey Entertainment, a production company that launched TV reality shows and mobile games.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean Im pretty sure Executive Director was essentially Vinces role so I assume they get at least some kinda creative control. Im gonna assume Trips didnt want the job, otherwise I dont know how you choose Bischoff over him.

Either way, looks like its all hands on deck.

I like the thought of this but something tells me Vince just brought them in just so he can say no to them on things. I hope I'm wrong though. It's about time WWE get some kind of new direction

I mean Im pretty sure Executive Director was essentially Vinces role so I assume they get at least some kinda creative control. Im gonna assume Trips didnt want the job, otherwise I dont know how you choose Bischoff over him.

Either way, looks like its all hands on deck.

Maybe Triple H does not want anybody to touch NXT if ever he will be taking control of either RAW or SD, until maybe there is really a good successor to handle NXT like how he handles it.

Really hope this will be the start of VKM stepping down from the role and handle XFL. Because I really hate the direction of WWE shows as of late. Hope the wildcard rule is removed. Hate seeing same stories happening in RAW and SD.

Credit:pwinsider

The announcement today that Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff have signed on with WWE to become Executive Directors of the Raw and Smackdown brands is a legitimate announcement, not a storyline situation.

WWE has been pursuing Heyman to come on board officially in their corporate circles as far back as February, PWInsider.com can exclusively confirm. An offer was issued to Heyman to come on board full-time as a top member of the creative team around the same time Bruce Prichard was brought back as a Senior Vice President but the conversations were slow in progressing. Heyman had been working on certain storylines and with certain talents, including Ronda Rousey, Brock Lesnar, Alexa Bliss and many others dating back far before that point. He's been in the inner circle when it comes to the creative process for some time without an official title. He and WWE have been circling around this deal for a long time and finally came to terms recently.

The Eric Bischoff deal came together within the last several weeks. Bischoff has been working on pre-production of the planned Netflix Hulk Hogan biography film and had a slew of personal appearances booked. Over the last week, he quietly began canceling those appearance dates, so that is likely when he came to official terms with WWE. We are told he will be working directly with FOX as WWE builds their relationship with Smackdown's new home. To say this is a massive return to form for Bischoff is a grand understatement. We are told that WWE approached him about the role and that his previous work in collaborating with Turner Broadcasting. Spike and other networks in building past TV series was one of the reasons Bischoff was pitched for the position.

We are told that they will be overseeing all aspects of their individual series, answering directly to Vince McMahon. They are now the top of the pyramid, respectively, for Raw and Smackdown but obviously McMahon will always have the last say. One WWE source compared their roles to Paul Levesque's in NXT in that they will be in charge, but it's still Vince's company.

Heyman is expected to continue his role as Brock Lesnar's advocate.

There is no word yet whether Bischoff will appear on camera, but given how good of a performer he is, one would think it's just a matter of time.

Credit:pwinsider

The announcement today that Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff have signed on with WWE to become Executive Directors of the Raw and Smackdown brands is a legitimate announcement, not a storyline situation.

WWE has been pursuing Heyman to come on board officially in their corporate circles as far back as February, PWInsider.com can exclusively confirm. An offer was issued to Heyman to come on board full-time as a top member of the creative team around the same time Bruce Prichard was brought back as a Senior Vice President but the conversations were slow in progressing. Heyman had been working on certain storylines and with certain talents, including Ronda Rousey, Brock Lesnar, Alexa Bliss and many others dating back far before that point. He's been in the inner circle when it comes to the creative process for some time without an official title. He and WWE have been circling around this deal for a long time and finally came to terms recently.

The Eric Bischoff deal came together within the last several weeks. Bischoff has been working on pre-production of the planned Netflix Hulk Hogan biography film and had a slew of personal appearances booked. Over the last week, he quietly began canceling those appearance dates, so that is likely when he came to official terms with WWE. We are told he will be working directly with FOX as WWE builds their relationship with Smackdown's new home. To say this is a massive return to form for Bischoff is a grand understatement. We are told that WWE approached him about the role and that his previous work in collaborating with Turner Broadcasting. Spike and other networks in building past TV series was one of the reasons Bischoff was pitched for the position.

We are told that they will be overseeing all aspects of their individual series, answering directly to Vince McMahon. They are now the top of the pyramid, respectively, for Raw and Smackdown but obviously McMahon will always have the last say. One WWE source compared their roles to Paul Levesque's in NXT in that they will be in charge, but it's still Vince's company.

Heyman is expected to continue his role as Brock Lesnar's advocate.

There is no word yet whether Bischoff will appear on camera, but given how good of a performer he is, one would think it's just a matter of time.

This makes it sound like they actually have some say then, comparing it to HHH-NXT.

If so, this could bode well for a return to glory of sorts for WWE. Maybe the shows will actually feel different (if we can get rid of wildcard after ER thats be a boon).

Only time will tell, but Im intrigued by this.

This is encouraging news as long as Vince allows them creative freedom to do what they want. Ive liked a good bit of the stuff involving Heyman recently (e.g. Rondas heel TV character; Lesnars recent aloofness). As for Bischoff, Im interested to see what ideas hes got since it seems his wrestling/booking philosophy has changed a little based on what he has said on 83 Weeks.

Archived