Marvel's Avengers (Square Enix)

Jeb ★

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, we just found out that one of the developer was one of the moderators in the official Marvel's Avenger ReddIt channel and a lot of the comments mention that their posts criticizing the game just disappeared and now it making more sense... ?

The one you are looking for is CD_StrumSlinger, the same guy that announced the stream is cancelled last week.

EDIT: One of the mods said Andy doesn't have full permission... limiting his power in Reddit...

Except someone found this: 

This game is finished, I thought things were going in the right direction after Black Panther, but the last month with the promotion of the anniversary being a bigger dumpster fire than the initial release has really been really something to see. I can't see there being any way back for the game. Disney can't be happy, having another of their IP dragged through the mud. 

So much potential wasted! It's not a terrible game overall but the execution in a lot of areas have been pretty off and Crystal Dynamics make themselves seen like huge asses.

I think it would be best if they just stopped everything and moved on because they keep making a mess of things. Haven't played the Guardians of the Galaxy game yet but it doesn't seem great and I don't have much hype for it and they already made some questionable decisions.

Maybe they can keep the game but pass it to new developers and possibly publisher like DC Universe Online, which is still actually going strong after 10 year! They should have never gotten rid of Marvel Heroes Omega

Vince Napoli, Lead Combat Designer (the guy who designed the combat gameplay) left the team...

And this is one of the developers saying reading the bad feedbacks on Reddit hurt him and the info is inaccurate. So he is happy to stay in Discord (where the mods can ban you for being too negative about the game).

After getting back into DC Universe Online and playing some of this then going back to that, I'll say it again..they should have never gotten rid of Marrvel Heroes Omega!

Marvel's version of DCUO and it was successful  with a strong player base that was only cancelled because of this game going into development and it's also a live service game. DCUO is still going very strong after 10 years and so maybe Marvel Heroes could have too if they also kept doing new dlc content and updates 

Square-Enix's president says Crystal Dynamics weren't a good fit for Avengers.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/square-enix-claims-crystal-dynamics-was-the-wrong-fit-for-disappointing-marvels-avengers/

The head of Square Enix has claimed that Crystal Dynamics was a bad fit for Marvel’s Avengers, given its lack of experience with the games as a service model.

Addressing shareholders in a statement published in the company’s annual report, president Yosuke Matsuda said Square Enix needed to learn from the game’s “disappointing” performance.

Notably, he highlighted the importance of matching development studios with “game designs” that best suit their skillsets and interests.

Avengers developer Crystal Dynamics is best known as the studio behind the single-player Tomb Raider series of games, and its next project is a collaboration with Xbox Game Studios on Perfect Dark.

“Marvel’s Avengers was an ambitious title for us in that we took on the GaaS (Games as a Service) model,” Matsuda said.

“We overcame a variety of unexpected difficulties in the final phase of the game’s development, including needing to transition to work-from-home due to the pandemic. We were able to surmount these challenges and release the game, but it has unfortunately not proven as successful as we would have liked.

“Nonetheless, taking on the GaaS model highlighted issues that we are likely to face in future game development efforts such as the need to select game designs that mesh with the unique attributes and tastes of our studios and development teams.

“While the new challenge that we tackled with this title produced a disappointing outcome, we are certain that the GaaS approach will grow in importance as gaming becomes more service oriented. How we go about creating new experiences by incorporating this trend into our game design is a key question that we will need to answer going forward.”

In a 2019 interview with GamesBeat, Matsuda explained why he thought Crystal Dynamics was well suited to Marvel’s Avengers.

“Crystal has always been a company that’s made games in the action-adventure space,” he said. “In that sense, I thought that it would be good fit in terms of making a game with Marvel using the Avengers, which would naturally be an action-based game.”

Marvel’s Avengers’ performance suffered partly due to technical problems present at launch. In addition to these issues, a lack of post-launch content, including delays to planned expansions and next-gen versions of the game, contributed to a dwindling player count.

Despite continued efforts to improve the game’s fortunes, Marvel’s Avengers is still suffering from major issues.

On Tuesday, Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics removed paid XP boosts from the game following a backlash from fans over their introduction.

The ability to buy XP and resource-collecting boosts with real money was controversially added to the game in October.

The move angered fans, who said its developer and publisher had gone back on promises that paid microtransactions would only ever apply to cosmetic items.

It was announced in September that Xbox had signed the Square Enix studio to co-develop Perfect Dark, which is the debut title from its new in-house studio The Initiative.

Former Crystal Dynamics studio head Darrell Gallagher now holds the same position at The Initiative, while the person in charge of the Perfect Dark project, game director Daniel Neuburger, was also previously game director on the Tomb Raider series.

Commenting on the surprising collaboration, Xbox Game Studios boss Matt Booty said that partnering with Crystal Dynamics on Perfect Dark was a no-brainer.

“It was not a standard situation because they’re not usually out billing themselves as sort of a co-development studio like many places are, but we found a way to make it work and I think it was through some of the personal connections that we’ve got,” he said.

Tried looking for a quick game online last night and it took me over 5 minutes(I was eating while waiting) to find 2 players. Tried again a bit ago and quickly found all full players and did a couple of missions with them. It was a good time but still just small doze game for me a week or so.

Very curious about the road map for 2022..if there still are any plans. There have been rumors that Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, Ant-Man(Hank Pym), Dr Strange and two others are supposed to be next but I'm sure it probably got delayed and might get completely scrapped if the game looses support already 

I've seen some tweets about Spider-man being a timed exclusive, and that it was put out there by someone claiming that they're a CD employee and it'll be timed, but it was supposedly put out there to boost sales on PC & Xbox and boost numbers on Gamepass. I find that hard to believe, CD has been awful and very misleading lately but I don't think they'd stoop that low. 

Another thing I seen people think Spidey will be available everywhere else but you have to pay for him, because at the end of the trailer it says 'Free on PS4 & 5.' But what they fail to see above it says something like 'Only on PlayStation'. I'm an Xbox player and I'm slightly jealous he's an exclusive but, it's not going to affect the story of the game and the way the game is, I doubt I'll be missing out on too much. I've missed out more by not playing the insomniac games really. I do feel Xbox should get something like 1400 credits to buy an exotic suit or something. It sucks apart from the raid (Which I won't play because I don't have gold, I'll probably invest in Gamepass Ultimate when more exclusives come out.) that Xbox gets nothing until probably March, when the next character or story content drops. 

Why did they remove the ability to just use one character during missions? It was a good part of launch and now you see 2 Hulks, 3 Black Panthers and etc. That was the worst part of Marvel Heroes Omega and they changed it for this at launch and now it's back.

Also sucks they removed unlocking skins in the fabrication machine after doing some missions!

People complained that they couldn't have more than one of the same character in a team so they brought in the Tachyon anomaly event to appease them, and when it ended, they all complained  again and they made it permanent. Imagine PS when Spidey drops, be like that pointing meme. :lol:

They've redone the cosmetic work and it's coming in an update on the 30th. Patterns are coming back and will have a high chance of dropping in the mega hive gauntlet. The blog is worth a read, it seems a step in the right direction. Gives you a bit of a reason to play daily.

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/earned-cosmetics-dev-blog

Don't know why people want to play with others being the same character but okay whatever. Reminds me of DC Universe Online where the whole point is to create your own character but some people end up making dc heroes or villains although at least a few name themselves Batman Earth 48 or Multiverse Flash, etc

Cool news about the patterns though!

Archived