Yukes creating new wrestling game

baken1942

Unless you're actually going with an name company I don't see it going anywhere

I was thinking the same thing. What's the point unless it's going to be with another company. A generic wrestling game with no actual real roster etc like a Firepro is kinda meh.

This reminds me of how Playstation used to have the SmackDown!/SVR games exclusively, Nintendo used to have games like WrestleMania XIX and the Day of Reckoning games exclusively, and Xbox had the RAW games and Wrestlemania 21 exclusively. The Playstation and Gamecube games were developed by Yukes but, the Xbox games were developed by Studio Gigante. What I gathered from that article is that Yukes seems to want to create a separate team to make another wrestling game with a different gameplay style. They would be therefore be interally competing with themselves to increase the drive and determination to make better games. I think it's a damn good idea.

During the 6th console generation my little cousin had the Gamecube WWE games and I had the PS2 SVR games. We used to bring our consoles and games over to each other's houses and play both series. It was nice to have options back then instead of the same game ever year with little changes.

Unless you're actually going with an name company I don't see it going anywhere

I was thinking the same thing. What's the point unless it's going to be with another company. A generic wrestling game with no actual real roster etc like a Firepro is kinda meh.

Not necessarily, if they had the right creative input and delivered fun gimmick based characters that could stand on their own in a decent fighting game, it could work. If Capcom won't make a SNSM reboot, they could in spirit with their roster.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/wwe-2k-studio-creating-rival-wrestling-ip/

Seems like Yukes are a little frustrated with 2k about the wwe games direction lately. Also they have ideas on how to improve the motion capture prosess but feel like 2k are not listening to them

Really? I've got similar complaints regarding Yukes stagnation and inability to program fixes that stay fixed so.. stones and glass houses.

I dunno guys, something about this seems off to me. Not them making a game of their own, but their justification for it just seems kind of... excuse-ish.

I forget does Yukes own Rumble Roses or F***Konami? Because if Yukes owns it, they'd at least have something to grab people's attention, even if it ain't much. Then again, RR in this day and age would cause a helluva shit storm.

Rumble Roses barely grabbed people's attention back in the day outside of an extremely niche audience.

They should create a non-branded wrestling game, then allow wrestling promotions to pay for DLC packs, and essentially create a cross-branded wrestling game. Smaller promotions could get guys into a game without the downside of developing a whole game themselves, and big name promotions could also have packs just for a quick return on investment.

Put out one fully built wrestling game with fictional characters, arenas, a story mode, a creation mode, etc...just a vanilla professional wrestling game.

Then have DLC from companies like NJPW, RoH, MLW, Impact, etc. Maybe even WWE. Maybe $20 a pack...or even $30 a pack. 5 or 10 characters, an arena or two, intros...all that jazz. The companies make a direct return on their specific DLC packs, and there is no money split between competitors. Your brand is represented in a video game without investing in an entire development process. It could get expensive fast for the fans...but it would be worth it if you could have a legit game where you can play cross-branded matches. I would buy all the packs...for sure. Probably drop $90-120 on that shit if it meant playing those dream matches and supporting the various companies.

Either that, or develop a game with an entire roster of free agents, having one head of direction to find and sign the people you want. Just look at how many guys work for 3 or 4 companies at the same time. If you went out and made individual offers...you could easily fill a game that way.

Instead of throwing rocks at Yuke's beforehand, I'm gonna give them a chance. Just like the wrestling itself, the wrestling games also desperately needs an alternative. I have been growing tired of WWE games, which sucks because I love wrestling games, but there really is no alternative. Fire Pro sadly didn't catch my interest and don't get me started about these low budget 5 Star Wrestling and what others there are, games. It's easy to say that "Oh it's Yuke's, so it probably is just gonna suck", but we haven't seen them work on any other except WWE games for years now and I don't blame them for growing bit tired of them. A wrestling game with more freedom (no WWE or 2K breathing down their necks) could turn out great.

OF COURSE, nothing is confirmed yet and this game just might not even happen. But I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best

They have talked about the frustration a few years ago, the whole time difference, language barrier and that outside of 2k the WWE also has strict rules etc what they can do.

That they can more is no secret, you can see the potential on every corner of the wwe games.

So who knows, could be good.

Lets see where this goes, this seems to be in very early stages so its too early to say anything more.

But more variety in terms of wrestling games is absolutly needed, the wwe series is way behind its potential...so maybe a new "rival" could benefit us all.

I'll be curious to see how this wrestling game stacks up with 2K's recent efforts... because competition is never really a bad thing.

Hopefully, that competition will make both companies to strive for a better game with every subsequent release.

I wouldn't mind a Switch exclusive either...especially since porting the WWE games to Switch has proven difficult in the past...with 2K18 being a dumpster fire, and 2K19 being skipped entirely. So, perhaps this is the main focus as well...to build a Switch exclusive from the ground up. That way, too...they wouldn't be stepping on any toes with WWE and the PS4/XB1 market.

Which brings up another thought...(it would be super fun to see a company work directly with Nintendo to create a new Nintendo All Stars Wrestling or something along those lines). We're seeing Nintendo branch out and work with more third party support lately...we've seen Ubisoft do Mario Raving Rabbids. We've seen the reveal of Cadence of Hyrule, etc. So...yeah, let's get that happening. Nintendo and Yuke's...call it Super Mario's Nintendo All Stars Wrestling or some shit. I'm on board.

Anyone getting the chikara video game??

Maybe...if it ever comes out.

Archived