“DARK SIDE OF THE RING” wrestling series coming to VICELAND 4/10/New series The Wrestlers 5/22

Ziggy Vercetti

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Fight Me.
4 hours ago, M3J said:

What happened?

Kanyon was gay (not openly) in a time where it was unfortunately not as accepting as it is today. This would lead to ribs from the boys, effect his booking and eventually would lead to his firing because of it. I assume a lot of homophobic superstars are going to be exposed this episode.

One example I could think of is Taker initially being a big fan of Kanyon's work, which is why he got a big push (double champ) during the Invasion storyline. Taker later found out and Kanyon just stopped getting used on TV. Then Taker buried him on his way out. And then also the Ric Flair phone call on Howard Stern I posted a couple pages ago.

14 minutes ago, Fight Me. said:

Kanyon was gay (not openly) in a time where it was unfortunately not as accepting as it is today. This would lead to ribs from the boys, effect his booking and eventually would lead to his firing because of it. I assume a lot of homophobic superstars are going to be exposed this episode.

One example I could think of is Taker initially being a big fan of Kanyon's work, which is why he got a big push (double champ) during the Invasion storyline. Taker later found out and Kanyon just stopped getting used on TV. Then Taker buried him on his way out. And then also the Ric Flair phone call om Howard Stern I posted a couple pages ago.

jfc, I actually expected better from Taker, didn't know he was a piece of shit too

3 hours ago, M3J said:

I mean, that's probably one of the things that the old-timers miss the most about wrestling decades ago, being able to do shit like what Flair did without repercussion. Regardless of what the old sharts say, it's a great thing that this business and society in general are heading towards a safer place for people. 

What happened?

What fight me said. This is what to expect:

Flair seems like a POS from past stories at least. He may not be like that anymore and his seeming approval of Andrade marrying Charlotte is a good indication however the past will still haunt him nonetheless. Also the story about HBK and Marty drugging girls back in the day is also pretty damning if true. Wonder if HBK would get the same treatment?

3 hours ago, maskedmaniac said:

Flair seems like a POS from past stories at least. He may not be like that anymore and his seeming approval of Andrade marrying Charlotte is a good indication however the past will still haunt him nonetheless. Also the story about HBK and Marty drugging girls back in the day is also pretty damning if true. Wonder if HBK would get the same treatment?

possibly not because he showed a changed and significantly improved behavior after retiring. I do hope he's changed for the better here too though. Wasn't Ric Flair a repeat offender even in his old age? 

8 hours ago, maskedmaniac said:

I doubt it.
It was part of the whole "Shawn is now a devoted christian" Redemption arc that has been going on since so long.
They never hid the fact that he was a drug addicted asshole.
So i think he would get away with it because it has been made a big deal that he is a changed man.

Flair on the other hand, he always played The Stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun...even as he got older.

Guest Fight Me.

Kanyon episode was good but heartbreaking. It sucks how much this haunted him and he thought the world hated him. And the bipolar issues and paranoia that came along with it. Dude just needed help and wanted to be loved. *censored*ing Cena and Flair broke his heart trying to wave the WWE flag. Whether they thought he got fired for being gay or not, I feel like telling someone they just weren't any good at the thing they loved isn't the way to go about it either. Especially Flair being his heto growing up. *Censored*.

Loved what he was able to do for Brian Cage and the Bucks though.

On 9/28/2021 at 3:44 AM, Fight Me. said:

Kanyon episode was good but heartbreaking. It sucks how much this haunted him and he thought the world hated him. And the bipolar issues and paranoia that came along with it. Dude just needed help and wanted to be loved. *censored*ing Cena and Flair broke his heart trying to wave the WWE flag. Whether they thought he got fired for being gay or not, I feel like telling someone they just weren't any good at the thing they loved isn't the way to go about it either. Especially Flair being his heto growing up. *Censored*.

Loved what he was able to do for Brian Cage and the Bucks though.

Yup, unbelievable Tragic that he never got the Help and support he needed to love himself.
Mental Health is so important, it cant be said enough.

People were acting like there was some movement to "cancel" Cena, which isnt true at all after this came out.
People only called him out for being a dick and openly shitting on a fellow worker, which is just shitty.
The Flair clip was floating around since the episode was announced, so it wasnt a surprise...but still disgusting of Flair.
The man got away with far too much far too long.

Was surprised that he was friends with Cage and the bucks...goes to show that he did have a good influence on people.
Its so sad that he didnt see how the business and world evolved since his death, he wouldnt have felt this alone nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Fight Me.

Damn shame. I still watch and look forward to every single episode.

I'm surprised Plane Ride from Hell is so low, but I guess it's been covered a lot over the years.

Archived