NXT Discussion Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Bushy. said:

I feel so bad for Toni Storm. She shouldn’t even be a heel and she doesn’t deserve this lol

that chick almost broke her neck too. 

I agree. I think Toni Storm should be a megastar and they’re decreasing her value week after week. I don’t think she’s won a match this year, has she?

Toni Storm is still pretty young. 25 to be exact. I mean I get the point about losses and everything, and she almost somewhat becoming a "veteran" of NXT, but it really isn't like she is becoming a lost cause... And I agree she shouldn't have turned heel, especially since they are low on single babyfaces. Wha t I want to say is, in NXT things can be turned around way more efficiently than on RAW/SD. And saying NXT booking is on to becoming SD/RAW is overreacting tbh. 

I think they have hit a rough patch in terms where, before, they had new and exciting signings, superstars were being promoted to the main roster etc. It had a distinct flow and was always fresh. Now they don't have that anymore. And they have booked themselves in a corner. In mens division, Kross is champion, I couldn't care less about him, and the only challenger is KOR. And if Kross beats him, he has no one that could step up to him. 

Raquel... yeah she was on a good run and everything, but it's also confusing on why is she champion and where do they wanna go with it. And tbh, imo she shouldn't have gotten the title. I guess the feud with Dakota Kai the plan, but eh... it's also weird as hell where she is the champion but still looks like her bodyguard or whatever. 

All in all, my point is, the problems of NXT booking is really different than RAW or SD. And they can turn things around with the talent they have and with some decent booking decisions much more easily than the other 2.  to say those two are lacking fresh faces would be a massive understatement.  can't say I have interest in anybody there or that I can see anything that would be considered even remotely fresh. those few that have moved from NXT recently, like Riddle and Lee are jokes. even if Keith Lee gets back and steps up... I have no faith whatsoever they will handle him correctly. And Aleister... well I thought there is no hope he will be back, and this character work can have potential, and could b a reason why they moved from Seths "jesus type" gimmick. But then again...why would I care? he will be tsuck in some random midcard feuds at best. And nobody is there who can step up to Roman, and God know for how long they will continue to rinse and repeat this stuff. Cesaro ain't beating him that's for sure. 

NXT is absolutely becoming more like RAW and SD. It's not to the degree of ineptness that RAW/ SD display weekly (although SD's best stuff is better than either show), but it's in the same of genre of wrestling as RAW/SD (and AEW, too, btw). In other words, NXT is becoming less and less pro-wrestling and more and more Sports Entertainment. In terms of creative, The Way, Shotzi, Leon Ruff, Dexter Loomis, Cameron Grimes, Breezango, and Xia Li's group are pure Sports Entertainment frivolous bullshit that you would see on RAW/SD. In terms of booking, too many matches end in DQs or non-finishes. There's a barrage of bad formulaic gimmick matches. They weirdly go out of their way to book new stars like Toni, Austin Theory, Tyler Rust, and LA Knight like shit and people you either can't take seriously or you shouldn't give a shit about. They totally bungled the booking of legit stars like Rhea and Priest somehow. They're giving Raquel the Charlotte treatment where you don't know if she's heel or babyface. So based on how it's been for at least over a year, I'm losing faith in them in turning things around. They are not the NXT of 3 or 4 years ago.

of course they are not the same they were 3-4 years ago. nor am I expecting them to be. and it's not about "sports entertainment" or "wrestling" oriented really. It's the fact that their first and foremost role isn't developemntal anymore. the format changed when they stopped shooting a month in advance, and when they went 2 hours. so with that, you run the show completely differently. the main difference what still sets NXT from SD/RAW is that the shows aren't just filler shit from one PPV to the next, which RAW and SD really are. 

But ok, back to comparing the "wrestling" and "sports entertainment" aspect. I'm not saying that it's not true at all what you are saying, it is to a degree. but it was always going to be that way with them getting bigger and going live. I'm not saying I like it either. but you have taken some examples, where there are good examples also of aspects that were in the past 2 years give or take, more wrestling oriented. Let's say it was a mix. Especially whole Finns run. But yeah, is Kross with his shit an example of what the new "era" will look like? Possibly, and I don't like it.  Hopefully it's just him and they move on from him, cus I don't see any other main stars on the show that follows the same formula.

I think you are overreacting with: "a barrage of bad formulaic matches". I mean yeah, the wrestling surely wasn't up to the standard that they've set for them, but it was always really really high, especially what we saw on TOs where they pushed the envelope with every show, which was unreal. But on the weekly show... yeah, I get what you are saying, but it's not like there weren't there before. In fact maybe there wasn't, beacuse it was half the size production in terms of show lenght and talent available. 

In terms of characters you've mentioned... can't call myself a big of all of those. But Garganno did all there was to do in NXT, so comedic gimmick was the only way he could go, other than the RAW/SD where he would have no chance. Austin Theory, nothing that stood out about him, other than his "athletic ability", so I'm fine with him getting some stuff to do there, as he was moved from RAW due to allegations most likely.  Shotzi, The Way, Grimes, can't say I find it funny or cool, but I understand why they are doing it. Dexter Lumis, was not a fan due to boring ring work but he is starting to grow on me. Tyler Rust, lol notsure what you can do with that guy yet. New star? Come on. LA Knight, hope we never have to take him seriously tbh. 

As for Priest... not sure how NXT botched it. He was never NXT title type material. he lingered a bit too long with Garganno sure, but they obviously wanted him to move on to RAW for whatever reason. but could have he been bigger in NXT? Eh, not sure he would take a loss to Finn or Kross and that's it. 

Sorry for the long post, since I don't post often I kinda got into it lol Not saying I completely disagree with you on things, but just trying to give some perspective. Cus I can't say it's just THAT bad, even though it's obviously worse. I see how they are trying to do with SD something... but it's just seems like a lot of creative heabutts from different sides and some compromises that are going nowhere.  NXT s obviously a mix that wants to balance things out but they are struggling. It's still the only show that's watchable for me at least. 

NXT going from 1 hour taped shows to 2 hour live shows definitely had a big impact on the show for sure. I absolutely agree with that. Although I would argue the show was showing some decline leading up to its shift to USA. Somewhere between TO: New Orleans and USA Network-era, a decline of quality of occurred. Not to the degree it is now, but I do recall at the time feeling that NXT was lesser quality. I would need to look back at exactly when this happened, though. But yes, the format shift and it being on cable TV are factors for its decline. AEW, too.

I’m someone who thinks pro-wrestling can work for a wide audience. I don’t buy the argument that only sports entertainment can do that. And when I say pro-wrestling, I’m not necessarily talking about workrate or dry, flavorless matches either. I’m talking about compelling, meaningful stories told through combative contests and promos without excessive gaga or overly phony silliness. What sports entertainment is to me is tricks and comedy. It’s lack thought, weight, and reality. If your storytelling is substantive and you have talented people, an audience will watch. So I don’t think NXT needs a goofy Dexter/Indi Hartwell romance or bad comedy like The Way, for example, to gain new viewers which it seems like we’re getting more of since the move.

Barrage of bad formulaic gimmick matches. Three-ways. Ladder matches. All the No DQ, hardcore type matches. It’s no different from RAW/SD’s overuse of these matches. They don’t have to book like this. It’s cheap, redundant, and uncreative. Why people still tolerate this method of booking, I do not get it.

The talent I mentioned in that part are newer people that have debuted the last year. You can have your opinion on any of them — but that’s not relevant to what I’m talking about. I’m talking about how stupid it is to debut new talent and make them look ineffective so early on in their run. Putting aside if you like them or not, why would you build up LA Knight, for example, with vignettes and promos and shit and then have him lose his second match? It’s brainless. That’s bad booking.

Priest’s NA title reign was a joke. They spent time building him up as a contender and then when he became champion he gets involved with the very RAW-esque Ruff angle to make things less important. And look where the NA is now. It’s a joke.

I wish NXT was better but all I’m seeing is more sports entertainment being added and dumb, senseless booking decisions being made and it’s just disheartening to see. The show is such a drag now. It has its moments like in the main event, but so does RAW and SD.

Can't believe Swerve blocked me on Twitter just cause his new jackets reminded me of Broken Matt Hardy. I meant it as a compliment. ???

• Jeb ★ unpinned and locked this topic

Archived