NXT Discussion Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't want to be that guy, but... I saw that the Drake story was a work since the crying tweet. 

It was a well done story really, I was never sold on Drake in the ring or as someone serious until this tournament. So, congrats, Looking forward to see where he goes from here. 

I'm going to say Drake's release wasn't a work.  I hope anyway. There's just no way, it's just too much in poor taste. Triple H offered him an NXT contract, something like Joe had originally and I believe Kassius Ohno had as well. We'll probably never see Drake on the main roster again, but I think he'll have a home here and I'm sure on NXT UK eventually.

4 minutes ago, Lunchbox said:

Wonder what happens to that impact teaser now.

They'll just edit him out, that's it lol Weird how many people considered those teasers as confirmation instead of just possibilities for Slammiversary.

I was so happy to see how NXT had that triple threat Tag team match. I literally made a post about a week ago in the Show Discussion thread that I wanted to see multi tag matches done that way. It just made so much more logical sense to have one member from each team in the ring.

8 hours ago, Fight Me. said:

I'm going to say Drake's release wasn't a work.  I hope anyway. There's just no way, it's just too much in poor taste. Triple H offered him an NXT contract, something like Joe had originally and I believe Kassius Ohno had as well. We'll probably never see Drake on the main roster again, but I think he'll have a home here and I'm sure on NXT UK eventually.

well, at first, the tweet where he was crying felt a bit weird and he also started talking about never wrestling again,... but at the same time, it was announced that he will be allowed to compete. The thing with that is, you don't work weeks of TV without a contract. And they have been using it as a story tool in his matches and during the tournament. Only now I'm seeing, that a few weeks ago, they have released a video named: "The unbreakable dreams of Drake Maverick"... so, the story was clearly there. 

He competed on a high level, even winning that triple threat with against both Kushida and Atlas. They wouldn't go through all that effort and let him win even more fans hearts, build him up... just to release him. 

I do agree about your "poor taste" argument though, because it seems like others were released just because they "didn't want it enough", especially during the pandemic. 

But I think it was more of a case where he was supposed to be released, because he was only doing the 24/7 title stuff, but Trips or somebody made a case for him and had this idea. Because, again, you don't compete for a month on TV without a contract and be built up so much with a lot of produced content and with points about him "fighting for his life" driven home constantly , just to let him go.  

edit: now I'm seeing the tweet you posted, but it really fits into this actually. 

• Jeb ★ unpinned and locked this topic

Archived