WWE Drama

EJ!

I agree that the WWE performers don't deserve the flack for a poor product...and that they all work very, very hard despite what they are forced to work with. But, I disagree about Rollins being "correct" in his recent attitude. I think he sounds like an ass, tbh. Elitist attitudes are always hard to stomach. The trouble started because Seth said that WWE was head and shoulders better than anywhere else...and he said it at a time when the WWE product has been less than awe-inspiring. You don't put yourself over by talking trash about others. And he completely lost me when he brought up the amount of money he makes...because, as Will pointed out, that was never a talking point to begin with. He sounds more like he's out to prove something to himself, and it's kinda sad.

Besides, the view is always better from the top. Both Seth and his girlfriend are treated like royalty in WWE. He should probably take some time to consider how lower tier guys are treated before acting like WWE can do no wrong. I mean...I still like the guy. But, he's definitely not in the right with this latest perspective, IMO. If he wanted to say that the WWE roster are all extremely talented and hard working, he could have done that without putting down any other product. He made a choice, and it was a poor one.

basically this.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see what you guys are saying definitely, but I also think he knows what the deal is. The way I see it, you know how like youll be out with your significant other or friend and they do some dumb shit that other people around you guys may not like but you defend them publicly even though you know they were in the wrong just so you can scold them later. I think thats what Seth is doing in a way. Like theres no way hes not aware of how shitty the company is and can be but hes not gonna let people from other promotions talk shit about it.

Also, and I may be thinking about this too intricately, but even though Seth is bigging up the company, I think hes also challenging WWE brass. Like hes out here firing at the hip and potentially jeopardizing real life friendships and maybe alienating fans to stick up for the talent, so he wants the company to allow him and the rest of the roster to try and prove his statements correct. The fact that he started saying this is the best wrestling on the planet before and during Stomping Grounds and then Stomping Grounds happened to be a fantastic wrestling show, I dont think that was a coincidence. Only time will tell, but I think Seth knows exactly what hes doing and isnt be a dick for the hell of it.

Also the point has been made that if the roles were reversed (minus the part about money) the conversations surrounding this would be a lot different. If Ospreay was saying what Seth is saying, everyone has his back. Jericho continuously takes potshots at WWE, everyone laughs and calls him the best. Omega was calls himself the Best Bout Machine and people use Meltzer ratings to bolster that claim. The AEW brass have taken shots at WWE for years. But anyone from WWE says anything and its an issue. I dont even think it had to be Seth, if AJ or Reigns or Ricochet or Gargano made the same claim theyd be vilified for it too.

The Dean stuff is especially telling. Seth's friend leaves to find happiness outside of WWE...and instead of just welcoming friendly competition, Rollins is out here taking unnecessary cheap shots. Don't get me wrong...I know that Dean talked some serious shit about WWE, and you'd think that turnabout would be fair play. But...the difference is that Dean was a disgruntled former employee. He wasn't talking shit about a place he never worked before. He was laying out facts as he knew them to be. And he did all of it while his wife still works for that company...so he comes off as super genuine and only telling shit how it is. Like Paper said...Seth just sounds like he's fishing for a promotion at the cost of burying others. Not cool.

Edited by Generations

@EJ

Because the they have legit claims?

Like...Raw ratings are in the dumpster. So are the attendancies (3,500 last night). Saiyng "Raw sucks" is not some outrageous claim, just to attack the competition. "Raw sucks" is the consense amongst almost everybody with working eyes in their head.

Taking shots at WWE's crappy shows is not something that wrestlers not signed to the WWE invented. Just ask the Revival. Or even John Cena. Steve Austin or...well....Chris Jericho. Former poster childs of the company.

Edited by LEGION

@EJ

Because the they have legit claims?

Like...Raw ratings are in the dumpster. So are the attendancies (3,500 last night). Saiyng "Raw sucks" is not some outrageous claim, just to attack the competition. "Raw sucks" is the consense amongst almost everybody with working eyes in their head.

Taking shots at WWE's crappy shows is not something that wrestlers not signed to the WWE invented. Just ask the Revival. Or even John Cena. Steve Austin or...well....Chris Jericho. Former poster childs of the company.

Hearing criticisms from fans is one thing, hearing it from rival talent and promotions is a completely different thing and you know it. I havent cared about or liked ROH in a while, but even then if exclusive talent from MLW came out and said ROH sucks, I wouldnt expect ROH talent to look at that as just fair, regular criticism. Theyre competing (as much two companies can compete these days) so I expect ROH talent to take offense and respond.

This isnt even just with wrestling. This is any industry where theres competition. Apple can hear complaints from buyers all day, but when Samsung has a commercial taking a shot at Apple, then Apples next commercial is a response. BTE have been saying *Censored* the Revival for how long now? Theyve thrown shots at WWE for years, Triple H calls AEW a pissant company once and people clutch their pearls.

lmaoo yall got me out here looking like a WWE mark. i promise im not

Edited by EJ!

But it wasn't a "response" from WWE...it was just from one guy. I don't think anyone would be surprised at WWE saying they're the best. They do it all the time. So...the Apple vs Samsung thing is kinda silly.

And Triple H is a known executive of WWE. Again...him defending WWE against other promotions, and even shooting on other promotions is widely accepted for that reason. He kinda has to. Seth could have just as easily said nothing and avoided burying his fellow performers.

Edited by Generations

Rollins defends himself and his colleagues in a way that goes past most point of critique people make about WWE.

Rollins says WWE has some of the best wrestlers in the world, if not the best. The quality of most wrestlers are not disputed.

Rollins says the WWE-roster are the most hard working, producing +500 live events in a year. The work ethic of the wrestlers are definitely not being disputed.

He complains about people attacking his shit like it's on what they do. That's true for the likes of Baron Corbin to a certain degree. But people respect the absolute quality of the roster. They don't respect the quality of the product because it's low.

Rollins addressed everything but the one thing people are actually complaining about; a consistently captivating wrestling product. And saying shit like, yeah we do 500 shows, is a shit argument. Quantity over quality?

Also, the interaction with Ospreay made him look like a complete tool, so there's that. It's as if he wasn't calling arguably the best wrestler on the planet a little man.

And his reaction to Ambrose/Moxley was also a case of completely missing the point.

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1143641083777146880?s=19

Nah Rollins said WWE is the best pro wrestling on the planet. Which is like, objectively wrong.

He's fine for sticking up for his company and his colleagues, it's just the fact that he took the time out to create that bogus tweet in the first place. It was just an odd thing to do and completely tone deaf. His replies to Ospreay after don't help and he comes off like a chump, but the whole thing got muddled so much. The initial "outrage" was about why Rollins even said that in the first place and how ludicrous it was, not WWE vs. NJPW or Rollins vs. Ospreay. The internets typical tribalism reared its ugly head.

Feel like him resorting to bank account was him knowing he was losing, Dean has a big bank account too and still thinks the WWE sucks.

Rollins picked the wrong dude to fight with just cause i think in 2019 Ospreay is totally 100% head and shoulders the best wrestler in the world right now..

But it wasn't a "response" from WWE...it was just from one guy. I don't think anyone would be surprised at WWE saying they're the best. They do it all the time. So...the Apple vs Samsung thing is kinda silly.

And Triple H is a known executive of WWE. Again...him defending WWE against other promotions, and even shooting on other promotions is widely accepted for that reason. He kinda has to. Seth could have just as easily said nothing and avoided burying his fellow performers.

The "one guy" is arguably the current face of WWE. Fine, don't like the Apple vs Samsung comparison, what about other real life sports? I wish there was some NBA fans in here but anybody will tell you that this type of talk between athletes on Twitter and every other media outlet is commonplace. Nobody gets vilified, people share their opinions about who they think is better regardless of stats and then they move on. It keeps everything interesting.

Nah I'm not rolling with that Triple H argument, especially considering when and where the comment was made. Your average person knows him as a performer, that's what he was being inducted for. The comments he made only hit with the IWC and smarks like us. He wasn't being an executive in that moment, he didn't have to make that comment, he threw a jab to rile us up.

My position is that I don't think anyone's wrong here. I disagree with Seth but I don't think he shouldn't have said it. It's weird seeing so many be mad at what is basically in-ring promo content that he put on Twitter. Does it being on Twitter make it bad? Also let's not forget, Seth was just chatting shit on his own, Ospreay came at him. Ospreay didn't need to say a word. Why aren't people talking about that part? I think this is kinda the tribalism Creep mentioned where people agree with Ospreay's opinion and enjoy his body of work more so now Rollins is wrong for believing in what he does, though it hurts no one. Again I don't agree WWE is the best wrestling on the planet, I don't even believe Rollins is top 20 in the company, but I don't hate him for believing in himself and the people around him. If you don't believe in what you're doing then why are you doing it? Based on his tweets prior to Ospreay, what made anyone think he was gonna back down? What was he expected to say? "Other than Ospreay, I am the best..." that wasn't going to happen. He instead boosted up Ricochet (who is great friends with Ospreay and inspired him) and continued to rep his gang. That's really all this is. Ospreay isn't hurt or "buried" by this, if anything, with the "Little Guy" t-shirts he's making, he's benefitting from it. I think fans are making it much deeper than it is.

Like I said, I think this is way more calculated than it seems. Of course Rollins knows everything is booboo but this is like a rallying call to boost morale and for his guys to do what they can to refrain from succumbing to the constant (well-deserved) criticism of the company they're locked in to. It's like the team captain firing up his squad even though they have no chance of winning the game. I said it before, the timing isn't lost on me. Stomping Grounds was way better than it had any right to be and Rollins started his antics before the show and a great wrestling show followed after. That doesn't seem coincidental.

As far as Ambrose, that's one of his best friends, Renee is still featured in the company, even though he claims they didn't talk about it I can't help but believe that there's a mutual understanding between them of what the business is. They made a big deal of Ambrose leaving and he jumped ship to the direct competition. Ambrose shouldn't expect kind words but he knows not to take it personally. Rollins' choice of words (especially calling him Ambrose) kinda shows me he wanted to show how serious without trying to hurt Dean. I don't think his comments were ill-intended.

I just want everyone to keep the same energy. Other people have said what Seth is saying about themselves and the people around them and nobody cared. I thought it was just the Ospreay thing but Seth was literally just bigging up the talent he works with and people started killing him for it before Ospreay even got in the mix. To disagree is one thing, but people were acting like he was using slurs or something. As for Ospreay, it just looks like Seth would rather compete than be buddy with everyone and I think that's what may be bothering people. Every wrestler is friendly on Twitter and Seth was just like "if they ain't gang then *Censored* EM" so now he's a villain. It's all weird to me but again that may be just because I'm used to NBA antics. Only bad thing about Seth's antics to me is that WWE will likely get in the way of the talent trying to prove him right.

Honestly don't know wth is going on

In a nutshell, a lot of wrestling fans cant handle regular ol trash talk if its coming from a guy defending a product they personally dont like.

In a nutshell, a lot of wrestling fans cant handle regular ol trash talk if its coming from a guy defending a product they personally dont like.

Eh...we can "handle" it just fine.

Seth just sounds like someone who defends WWE's flaws to make himself feel better about signing his entire life away to them. The guy has a secure and lucrative future, and he wants to protect that investment. That's fine. But it doesn't mean that he's not completely full of shit when he says that WWE is the highest quality wrestling show out there.

Edited by Generations

Eh...we can "handle" it just fine.

Seth just sounds like someone who defends WWE's flaws to make himself feel better about signin his entire life away to them.

But maybe its not that deep.

So...you would suggest that it's a work, in which case, he's having a lighthearted jab at the competition and making everyone the subject of a big online debate, and drawing viewers in the process.

If that's what you're saying...then I don't see how that is not in fact deeper than just saying that Seth said some shit he shouldn't have said. I'm pretty sure that your scenario is much further down the rabbit hole.

So...you would suggest that it's a work, in which case, he's having a lighthearted jab at the competition and making everyone the subject of a big online debate, and drawing viewers in the process.

If that's what you're saying...then I don't see how that is not in fact deeper than just saying that Seth said some shit he shouldn't have said. I'm pretty sure that your scenario is much further down the rabbit hole.

Seth says WWE is best wrestling on the planet with the best wrestlers in the business. No one is better. His Twitter, his opinion. He has a right to that.

Ospreay goes out of his way to respond. He and Rollins exchange jabs. It ends.

That doesnt seem deep to me. People only blew it up because they dont like the WWE product and Rollins didnt back down. Again, he was getting hate before Ospreay got involved.

This is why I said people cant recognize regular trash talk. Im not suggesting anything is a work. I just think Rollins spit his harmless opinion and was vilified for it.

Edited by EJ!

I think "it ends" is where you lose your argument. Because, it doesn't end.

When you say something questionable in a public setting (such as social media), you open yourself to being...well, questioned. That's not "deep". Seth said shit on a social media platform that is read by millions. Why is it "deep" to question/challenge what he said? It isn't. Not by a longshot. I really don't get what it is that you think you're saying here. It's okay for a famous person with millions of followers to have an opinion on something, but "deep" when people say nah about it?

I don't think Seth is being "vilified" either. That's going way too far. People are just saying he's full of shit.

Edited by Generations

I think "it ends" is where you lose your argument. Because, it doesn't end.

When you say something questionable in a public setting (such as social media), you open yourself to being...well, questioned. That's not "deep". Seth said shit on a social media platform that is read by millions. Why is it "deep" to question/challenge what he said? It isn't. Not by a longshot. I really don't get what it is that you think you're saying here. It's okay for a famous person with millions of followers to have an opinion on something, but "deep" when people say nah about it?

I don't think Seth is being "vilified" either. That's going way too far. People are just saying he's full of shit.

Never once said people couldnt challenge it. Thats fine. Ospreay responding is fine. Seth responding to Ospreay is fine. When people are saying theyre losing respect for Seth and that hes losing it, or do what youre doing and saying hes only saying all this because hes insecure, thats when I say its getting too deep.

If I tweeted In n Out Burger had the best burgers on the planet, you wouldnt think its digging too deep to suggest that Im only saying this because Im insecure about that being the only burger joint available to me?

To treat his original tweet as more than just opinion and having pride in his co-workers is looking too deep. To look at his interaction with Ospreay as more than harmless trash talk and banter is looking too deep.

To treat his original tweet as more than just opinion and having pride in his co-workers is looking too deep

But, again...it was more than that. Because he made it more than that. He made that post with a chip on his shoulder, and it was obvious. I don't know how anyone could say it wasn't obvious. All Ospreay did was say "I'm alive" in response to the original post, and Seth proeeeded to call him "Little guy", "kid", etc...then he called fans "dorks" and "idiots". There's really no denying that he's out here tooting his own horn extremely hard and looking like a massive tool in the process. I said it before...I still like Seth, but he's handling this all like a complete goon. It's really nothing to be celebrated or commended.

I mean...how do you defend shit ike this?

CcSe6I1.png

He wants "respect" but he's out here calling people names like "little guy" and "kid"? It would seem to me that he doesn't actually care about respect. He wants to be considered "bigger" than other performers...otherwise he wouldn't use those terms. Those are not "respect-earning" phrases. Those are belittling phrases. And again, why did he bring up how much money he makes? It isn't friendly competition...it's a dude blowing his own horn and trying to belittle others. He could be handling the entire thing a thousand times better.

Friendly competition would be something like "Any time, any place. I could beat you with my hands tied behind my back". He's not doing that. He's just digging a hole by being petty.

Edited by Generations

To treat his original tweet as more than just opinion and having pride in his co-workers is looking too deep

But, again...it was more than that. Because he made it more than that. He made that post with a chip on his shoulder, and it was obvious. I don't know how anyone could say it wasn't obvious. All Ospreay did was say "I'm alive" in response to the original post, and Seth proeeeded to call him "Little guy", "kid", etc...then he called fans "dorks" and "idiots". There's really no denying that he's out here tooting his own horn extremely hard and looking like a massive tool in the process. I said it before...I still like Seth, but he's handling this all like a complete goon. It's really nothing to be celebrated or commended.

Belittling people is trash talk 101 Gen cmon. And the only people he called dorks were CagesideSeats and that was after they were laughing at him. This is baffling that people are taking it this seriously. You never called the competition names before? Like not even on a video game or anything? Does he have a chip on his shoulder? Sure. Doesnt change anything. Its okay to just wanna talk shit sometimes. Again, very common among sports fans and pro athletes.

Just saw your edit: I really dont know what else to say. If you wanna take that to heart then by all means but I think its funny.

And I NEVER said friendly competition. I said trash talk. Doesnt have to be friendly, they dont have to like each other. Its still JUST trash talk. No personal attacks. Theyre keeping it wrestling. I cant believe you havent experienced anything like this before.

Edited by EJ!