46 Pages: Trying a little more

LEGION

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oi guys

if you could transfer your entire essence (or soul for lack of a better term) in a new body, essentially making you immortal, would it actually be you or would it be a copy that is fully convinced it is the same you, with the actual you ceasing to exist?

this is a question that literally kept me awake as a child at some point lol

It would be whatever you believe it to be. Truth is relative. If you truly believe that new body is you then it is. Transexuals who get new 'bodies' are not themselves until they make that physical change. It's not really any different in that situation.

I'm not sure what I'm getting at applies to transsexuals. That sounds like altering the body you're already in and not feeling at home until it's the way you want it. Mine is more like moving to a new place and not being sure whether the movement is actually you moving or a new you carrying on while the old you dies along with the old house. Oh wait, maybe it does apply and I'm just getting it now.

Truth being relative allows to talk about the situation that there is an entity that's actually you, but at the same time, you can also say that you die in that moment. If it works like a copy, you as a person will continue on living, but the specific you that actually experienced life in the old body, with the old brain, looking through the old eyes, would also die in that moment. That specific you won't experience anything anymore, as if it passed on a baton to the next "you".

Thing is, if they ever manage to do something like that, I'd think they would determine success by whether you'd retain all memories waking up in the new body or not. But going with what I just said, the transfer would be a success and a failure at the same time.

I'll bet there's some goofball on reddit who thought this up too in a much more coherent manner than I just did ffs

If I clone myself and die in the process, my clone will remember cloning himself, but not know that he himself is the clcone. Instead he would think that the clone died and is lying right in front of him. He would think like me. Look like me. Act like me. Know me like I know myself. But "I" would be no more.

The clone is, by any rights of definition...me. Considering the cloning process kill the original, the clone would never know that he is the clone. Despite only being a friction of a second old, he would think he went through my entire life and his body would react exactly as if he did. However...my initial consciousness...the "Me" that tried to clone himself, will be no more.

Now if we add body modification to the cloning process, "I" would still be dead. But "Who I am", would still live on.

Yeah, that's the perfect way of describing it. Would suck if people were like "oh well, I can transport myself into another body" for something minor like travelling, but they would actually kill that particular consciousness every single time they did it and then not know it.

Maybe something to consider once we get past the whole global warming thing.

oi guys

if you could transfer your entire essence (or soul for lack of a better term) in a new body, essentially making you immortal, would it actually be you or would it be a copy that is fully convinced it is the same you, with the actual you ceasing to exist?

It'd actually be you if you still retain your memories and personality.

Guest Shades of Cool

Happy bday

Thanks!

Happy Birthday to me

I don't believe you.

Why's that? Because it was April Fools?

Archived