Guest Fight Me.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no way that Cornette is "purely negative". He actually gives credit on a number of things.

The guy constantly puts over talent, it just rarely catches on with people who don't give him the time of day. MJF, Cody, The Revival, Adam Cole, Matt Riddle, Contra Unit, Tessa Blanchard, and many others are all people he's put over recently.

But nah, never mind that, he's just an old crank who yells at clouds and has no valuable thoughts. ?

Those rolling eyes better not be aimed at me, because I never said he is purely negative. I said the only things I've SEEN of his have been negative. It's headline culture, people only post the negative stuff. I don't care enough to seek out his content, I can only comment on the stuff I've seen.

There's no way that Cornette is "purely negative". He actually gives credit on a number of things.

The guy constantly puts over talent, it just rarely catches on with people who don't give him the time of day. MJF, Cody, The Revival, Adam Cole, Matt Riddle, Contra Unit, Tessa Blanchard, and many others are all people he's put over recently.

But nah, never mind that, he's just an old crank who yells at clouds and has no valuable thoughts. ?

Those rolling eyes better not be aimed at me, because I never said he is purely negative. I said the only things I've SEEN of his have been negative. It's headline culture, people only post the negative stuff. I don't care enough to seek out his content, I can only comment on the stuff I've seen.

Nah, it wasn't aimed at you. It's aimed at whoever purports this one-dimensional perception of him. You were only expressing what you've heard, I understood that.

Cornette bothers me cause he does seem to shit on anything that's not just straight wrestling and claims its going to kill the business when alot of the shit he complains about is churning out money. One of my favorite wrestling show i ever attended was the GCW Orange Cassidy show and it was full of nothing but total nonsense but i will never ever forget that show because i had a incredible time but at the same time iknow that show would have actually murdered Cornette. It had a dodgeball fight, Queen of the Swamp battle royal, 1 minute time limit match, best 7 out of 13 falls match, teddy hart reading a children book to the crowd. He needs to learn different shit works with different crowds these days.

See...but there's a time and a place for shit like that.

Cornette is not wrong at all when it comes to that kind of stuff and a televised product.

You went to an indy show, and you had fun for the exact reason that it was an indy show with no repercussions. But, if you're going to have a televised product with wins and losses, prestigious championships, meaning and value...you can't do that kind of stuff. There's really no proper comparison to be made between a random indy show that's "for the lulz", and a cohesive product that is trying to actually build something.

No one is saying that you can't have absurdity in independent wrestling. But, you need to make a choice for your product to be exactly that. You can be a promotion like Interspecies, Kaiju Big Battel, Chikara, or Wrestle Circus. And that's fine. But, you can't say "We're going to change the world of wrestling and bring it back to the glory days"...and then proceed to have a mashup up both serious and completely nonsensical bullshit. I don't disagree with Cornette at all when he says it's stupid to do that. If AEW is truly meant to compete with WWE, and "apologize" (in a sense) for all of the things that WWE ruined about professional wrestling over the years...then having stuff on the show that is actually dumber than a lot of WWE stuff is not the direction they should aim to take.

They can do that stuff all day long on youtube, on BTE, etc...but they should really stop doing it on their main shows. That's just the honest truth. It's great to have humor. Humor is a huge part of even a serious wrestling product. But it needs to be humor that is grounded in some common thread of believability. Like...it was quality humor when Janella ended up with his cigarette stapled to his forehead, because it was a legitimately painful thing that was believable in the midst of a fight. That was believable humor. But the Nakazawa stuff is dumb, because...well, it's dumb. You aren't going to hula dance out of someone's hold with baby oil while they stand there like a doofus and let you do it. That's the kind of thing that would feel right at home on some terrible edition of Monday Night Raw...which is exactly what they claim to be the antithesis of.

AEW isn't Interspecies, Kaiju Big Battel, Chikara, or Wrestle Circus...and they need to be sure that they regulate the kind of comedy that they put out for that exact reason. Some stuff is indeed too stupid for a product like they claim to offer. They can't be this open-ended "all the things about indy wrestling that people like"...they need to be more focused than that. They're supposed to offer a proper alternative to the biggest company in the industry.

I saw Joey do the same spot at the Progress NY show they did here a few years back. I think versus Jimmy Havoc...still *censored*ing sick. :lol:

Cornette bothers me cause he does seem to shit on anything that's not just straight wrestling and claims its going to kill the business when alot of the shit he complains about is churning out money. One of my favorite wrestling show i ever attended was the GCW Orange Cassidy show and it was full of nothing but total nonsense but i will never ever forget that show because i had a incredible time but at the same time iknow that show would have actually murdered Cornette. It had a dodgeball fight, Queen of the Swamp battle royal, 1 minute time limit match, best 7 out of 13 falls match, teddy hart reading a children book to the crowd. He needs to learn different shit works with different crowds these days.

Ignore anyone who tells you that wrestling is a prescriptive medium. That's my motto. There is room for everything, it's not like it's one dimensional. A competitive sports-like program is what works the most in the long run, but there is a big grey area that can encompass everything. Sports entertainment isn't just a buzzword that WWE uses, it's the perfect descriptor.

Ignore anyone who tells you that wrestling is a prescriptive medium. That's my motto. There is room for everything, it's not like it's one dimensional. A competitive sports-like program is what works the most in the long run, but there is a big grey area that can encompass everything. Sports entertainment isn't just a buzzword that WWE uses, it's the perfect descriptor.

Like I said...there is room for everything, but you still need to choose what kind of company you want to be. You can't just do everything at the same time. If you're going to claim to be "above" another company...then it certainly helps to actually be above it...not above it, below it, and all around it.

Don't think it's for military veterans, think I remember Khan mentioning it's for gun violence victims there in Florida. It's something he personally wanted to do for his home. And I'd imagine they will make a pretty penny from people attending between ticket sales and merch sales.

https://youtu.be/8GwcqpBqEO0

Fyter Fest recap vid.

• Jeb ★ locked and unpinned this topic

Archived