Guest Fight Me.

Oh shit...the August 11 show is in Pittsburgh PA. And Jericho will still have two labors at that point.

I think I know somebody who lives around there. It's true. It's damn true.

Book that match as a submission match, but Jericho isn't allowed to use the walls of Jericho. Solid.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Generations said:

The entire point of the labors match is to give people shit that they aren't expecting. Fans always complain about having no continuity in pro wrestling. Now, you get an angle like this (where MJF recalls something that was said in the past and uses it against Jericho), and you act like it makes no sense. It's a great shout to Jericho's past. And the stipulation being that Jericho needs to hit a top rope move to win really adds everything you need to give Juvi the advantage. The labors are about more than just picking the hardest opponents for Jericho...it's just as much about mind games. I just don't know how you can sit there and completely miss the intention of an angle like this. It's one of the most cohesive things we've seen in any promotion in a long time.

I’m not acting like it makes no sense. I get it’s a callback to Jericho’s past. I grew up watching Jericho and Juvi wrestle against each other. And guess what? I remember Jericho winning most of their matches together. So maybe MJF should have googled the guy’s  W/L record against Jericho, too?

To me this labor just screams contrivance and Jericho wanting to get to wrestle a friend one last time which is nice for Jericho but in kayfabe I don’t find it very convincing.

12 minutes ago, PaperThinWalls said:

I remember Jericho winning most of their matches together. So maybe MJF should have googled the guy’s  W/L record against Jericho, too?

Once again, you casually ignore the stipulation where Jericho must win after hitting a top rope move. Jericho rarely does top rope stuff. He does the lionsault...but, that is a middle rope springboard move. Juvi can pin or submit from anywhere. Jericho must hit a top rope move for the win. I'd say that does more than enough to tip the scales in Juvi's favor. And the point remains...this is only labor number 3. You are going to gradually build to more difficult challenges. Nobody ever expected Nick Gage to beat Jericho either...but he cut him up. MJF is intentionally picking guys who are going to break Jericho down in one way or another. It isn't all about physical dominance or securing the victory early on.

From a kayfabe perspective, Jericho being told that he will have to face this guy from his past will come as a huge shock to him. Not only that, but the fact that he considers Juvi to be below him or not in his league will make him cocky and more likely to underestimate him or make mistakes. It's the perfect pick for someone like MJF, who is a manipulator. And you also must consider that MJF doesn't necessarily want Jericho to lose. MJF is a cocky asshole. It's entirely more believable to think that he relishes the thought of humiliating Jericho and then getting an easy win over him when he's been beaten down. We shouldn't be quick to assume that MJF doesn't actually want to fight Jericho himself.

No, the perfect pick is someone who has beaten Jericho more times than Jericho has beaten him. That’s playing mind games while also providing more logic to MJF’s choice.

Sure, the stipulation makes it more palatable but it sucks to have that stipulation regardless of the opponent.

20 minutes ago, PaperThinWalls said:

No, the perfect pick is someone who has beaten Jericho more times than Jericho has beaten him. That’s playing mind games while also providing more logic to MJF’s choice.

Yeah, well...too bad that Stone Cold and the Rock are busy. Who else you got? 

If you're complaining without giving any actual suggestions, then I fail to see how you're being constructive. 

AEW needs 5 matches with 5 opponents.

Obviously, the idea is that Jericho completes all 5 labors. Otherwise it's pointless. You don't need to have Jericho fight some OP'd challenger in the second or third match. They have a limited pool of talent to pull those matches from. It makes more sense for the opponents to be people who are closely tied to Jericho's past than it does for them to simply be "tough opponents". Could they have said "Labor number 3 is Mark Henry...because he's huge and he poses a challenge"? Sure they could have. But Juvi is a shitload better than that. It came out of left field, no one saw it coming...and it has an interesting stipulation to boot. 

If you want to talk about people that Jericho has a history with...it would be people like Rey Mysterio, Lance Storm, Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, Rock, Austin, Kane, Triple H, etc. Out of those names, most of them are blatantly never going to happen...and one is dead. You could argue that Psicosis would be better than Juvi. But then you wouldn't have the video clip to reference. You'd also need Psicosis to actually want the match. Again...it just sounds like you're being entitled (just saying "there are bigger names" doesn't change who is available). There are a ton of factors to consider with who can be in these matches. Juvi is not a bad pick at all. If they do get Kurt Angle for the final or even second to last labor, then that will be more than enough to satisfy your criteria for a "real" opponent. But most of the other people who would fit that role are impossible to book, for one reason or another. I've yet to hear you suggest anyone who could logically be a better choice than Juvi for the middle spot of the series. If they're saving people like Storm or Angle for later in the series, then those names are off the table. Who would you suggest for a middle spot in the series, making sure to keep the bigger names for the end?

17 minutes ago, BestInTheWorld614 said:

Anybody else think this might be Jericho’s swan song? Like I can see him saying he always wanted to do a death match and him wrestling Juventud is a cool callback. I can see him putting over MJF one last time.

Pretty much agree. It feels like a retirement gig with a few classic hits and a few new ones. If that's what they're going for, then it's a pretty solid way to go.

20 minutes ago, Generations said:

Yeah, well...too bad that Stone Cold and the Rock are busy. Who else you got? 

If you're complaining without giving any actual suggestions, then I fail to see how you're being constructive. 

AEW needs 5 matches with 5 opponents.

Obviously, the idea is that Jericho completes all 5 labors. Otherwise it's pointless. You don't need to have Jericho fight some OP'd challenger in the second or third match. They have a limited pool of talent to pull those matches from. It makes more sense for the opponents to be people who are closely tied to Jericho's past than it does for them to simply be "tough opponents". Could they have said "Labor number 3 is Mark Henry...because he's huge and he poses a challenge"? Sure they could have. But Juvi is a shitload better than that. It came out of left field, no one saw it coming...and it has an interesting stipulation to boot. 

If you want to talk about people that Jericho has a history with...it would be people like Rey Mysterio, Lance Storm, Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, Rock, Austin, Kane, Triple H, etc. Out of those names, most of them are blatantly never going to happen...and one is dead. You could argue that Psicosis would be better than Juvi. But then you wouldn't have the video clip to reference. You'd also need Psicosis to actually want the match. Again...it just sounds like you're being entitled (just saying "there are bigger names" doesn't change who is available). There are a ton of factors to consider with who can be in these matches. Juvi is not a bad pick at all. If they do get Kurt Angle for the final or even second to last labor, then that will be more than enough to satisfy your criteria for a "real" opponent. But most of the other people who would fit that role are impossible to book, for one reason or another. I've yet to hear you suggest anyone who could logically be a better choice than Juvi for the middle spot of the series. If they're saving people like Storm or Angle for later in the series, then those names are off the table. Who would you suggest for a middle spot in the series, making sure to keep the bigger names for the end?

Boy, you’re making this a bigger deal than it needs to be. lol When MJF announced Juvi as the next labor after basically a deathmatch, I was underwhelmed with the choice. Oh well. And no I haven’t given much thought who his opponent could have been because I’m not interested enough to search over Jericho’s massive list of opponents.

I just KNEW this episode was gonna be an all-timer just off the Dark Order and Super Elite's entrances alone. Then Nick *censored*ing Gage and Jericho bringing deathmatches to the mainstream. Absolutely amazing stuff.

Also, if Jericho faces Paul Wight, Mark Henry and/or Lance Storm after Juvi, I just KNOW they're listening to Fightful too lmao

2 hours ago, Generations said:

NWA should get back on the AEW train if they know what's good for them.

Bottom left. :P

Legit Leyla as NWA Women's Champ would kick ass lmao

21 minutes ago, AlterNation said:

I know he's not wrestled in years but I'd love one of Jericho's labours (possibly the last one) to be Lance Storm.

That would be one I could get behind. Great call back to his start in the business and Jericho has spoken in the past about Storm potentially being his last opponent. I do hope that is his final labour. 

Didn't care for the main event, I know some people like that death match stuff but I thought it was hot garbage. Still, it's very weird to see that on main stream TV even if they had to water it down. 

Loved Hangman's entrance with the Dark Order, awesome stuff and it's great to see how over he is. Thought the Elite came across as utter goofs immediately after but at this point I assume that's the point. Would like to see them take things a little more serious as it immediately lowers the matches high stakes for me. I just don't think I can ever take these guys as credible threats, ever. It's always the wink winks and comedy cosplaying. 

Haven't seen the show yet,but read online that it seemed JR wasn't fond of the Jericho/Cage match and it was clear during his commentary..

Also Juvi next week? Been a fan of his for many moons.,so I'm looking forward to the match

4 hours ago, The Nerd said:

That match was below Jericho. I’m sorry, just my opinion. Shit was trash. 

Jericho is 50 years old with a beer belly. He wears mascara.

He once lost the AEW title after leaving a Longhorn Steakhouse because he drank too much vodka and left it on the roof of his car.

Nothing is below him.

It was an amazing entrance, tho. The intro with the voiceover talking about what it means to be a cowboy...the special theme that was remixed for a big match feel. Etc. AEW does an outstanding job with adding subtleties to theme music. Just a solid, solid remix that worked perfect for the weight of the moment. 

• Jeb ★ locked and unpinned this topic

Archived