Guest Fight Me.

I don’t understand why (in kayfabe) Tony Khan is putting up with his World Champion fooling around like this. As he says in that vid, he could easily stop Omega being involved on IMPACT’s show but yet he doesn’t. Why is that? I know they’ve been doing these vids with Tony where he’s working as heel to IMPACT fans (which is weird because why would you ever put yourself in this position this early in your company’s formation) and essentially acting like he’s allowing all this to occur because he wants to embarrass IMPACT, I guess. But he’s embarrassing them through these paid videos and Omega potentially beating their top talent? How can this be in any way satisfying to him? Omega is the guy who’s *censored*ed around and embarrassed his company for running off with their belt, no? How’s that’s getting back at IMPACT?

So maybe I’m missing some essential here. They’re teasing a talent exchange now but once again why the heck would this promoter want this anyway? To me the way this storyline is progressing, the less it makes sense because the promoter would swiftly shut this shit down. Which could’ve easily led to Omega and the other promotion ignoring all the legal threats and shit for a little bit, but they didn’t do that. Instead they went with the promoter just allowing this to happen because he thinks it’ll make the other promotion look worse. Correct? And if that’s the case, that makes absolutely no sense to me.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take is that Tony considered stopping it, but then thought of a few things 

1. Is Impact even a threat to me? Kenny's just gonna beat their dudes up and make em look like chumps, so they'll burn themselves pulling this shit. (which you've mentioned)

2. They have some good talent, maybe this is my chance to poach some. Leverage Kenny being there as a "well, you owe me or maybe I change my mind about suing you".

3. I'm not happy with how Kenny won the belt, but in doing this, he's just turned the entire locker room against him too. Let's let him run around and do what he wants, because whenever he gets back here, he'll be public enemy number one.

The paid videos are just power plays, reminding us and them that he's amused by this shit, but also holds the power and can shut it down if he wanted to.

Oh boy, you guys just opened a can of worms... lol

So this sounds like a completely impractical, convoluted way to poach talent to me. Like all Tony has to do is send feelers to the expiring star to see how they feel about their current creative, financial situation and if/when they become a free-agent Tony officially presents a deal. That's how poaching works. Not "I'm going to allow my champion (that I'm mad at) to invade their show to snatch up their talent! Tehehe." It all comes down to giving a good pitch on money (dates), creative, and I suppose exposure.

But let's say that's what they're going for. Ok. So how's that supposed to convince IMPACT's wrestlers to come over? Like they realize Tony has been trashing their promotion, right? You can argue a heel wouldn't give a shit. But a babyface? What babyface would stand for that? Why would they want to go to the promotion that's trying to invade and embarrass them? So AEW is going to only hire their heels? What? lol

(And honestly without watching IMPACT which I have absolutely no interest in watching -- why would a respectable IMPACT babyface want to be a part of either promotion for that matter? On one hand, they currently have an asshole boss who cares more about the AEW star. And on the other hand, the other boss is a rich tool who's being demanding towards their company.)

So I'm not buying this poaching idea. It sounds like a dumb, unrealistical way to go about things. And where does Don Callis factor into all of this? Isn't this what Don wants? As long as his buddy Omega is on his show (and IMPACT champion) he's happy, right? So Tony is playing  right into his hands. Doesn't that make him look foolish then?

Yeah it’s def a stretch and there are holes but I think the part that is also throwing a wrench in logic is that Kenny isn’t just a heel champion, he is also an EVP which AEW has fully admitted on Dynamite. So it’s like one promo away from an internal power struggle between owner and EVP. If they started going that route then it would possibly fill the logic gaps but as it stands right now it just seems like Khan is bothered by Omega/Callis but not enough to effect Khan’s own gains of talent and whatnot 

Ooh that's a good call. They've definitely tried to blur the VP aspects of just about everyone in the Elite bar Cody, so I'd forgotten about that.

Regarding the question about "why would any Impact star want to be associated with either", tbh it's like politics. You're probably not gonna have a boss here that hasn't pissed you off somehow, but ya gotta sign with one or the other. Maybe the Impact crew push against Tony while also starting an uprising against Callis. Maybe they realize Tony is more bashing the company and higher ups and want to get back at Callis by jumping ship? They could definitely show a backstage video of, I dunno, MCMG at AEW for a one off and Tony making them feel much more welcome, causing them to wonder "Shit, Khan is actually a chill boss, while Callis is dunking on us in favor of Kenny."

Honestly, if there's one thing I've learned with AEW it's that they take their time to tell a story. So I feel a lot of these dynamics will continue to unfold in the coming weeks and you'll likely get some answers then.

It seems AEW is attacking some YouTubers with copyright claims and I've seen a couple put out statements saying they'll have to quit making AEW videos and just stick to WWE. For some YouTube is their main source of income so of course they aren't going to risk it. Damn shame.

19 hours ago, Lunchbox said:

Like what type of videos? Reviews?

Yeah mostly reviews or even simple reaction vids that just use pictures I believe. I could but wrong but I think it has more to do with TNT than anything.

3 minutes ago, Scorpion™ said:

Damnnnn. I haven't been on here in years, so many of you guys are still here that's awesome.

Also did the Kenny and Fenix match get moved to another show? Wasn't it going to be on tomorrow's Dynamite?

Welcome back!

Yeah they moved the original card to next week. They rearranged the whole show for Brodie.

Just now, Fight Me. said:

Welvome back! They moved the original card to next week. They rearranged the whole show for Brodie.

Okay great. I knew the show was changed in a big way and seen the new Dark Order-heavy card. I'm really hoping for some Dark Order wins. I'm still gutted about this one. As fans we're so used to losing people but this feels like an Eddie kind of death right now..

Glad they decided to push the original show back to have a complete Dynamite is Brodie type show.

Also the site looks great here. I just can't believe this haha. I dug a significant part of my younger life haha.

Honestly couldn’t even look at this.

Tried, but I was like nope. Don’t see myself shedding tears or tearing up, but this is gonna be tough. Literally last Wednesday I was talking to a few peeps about what’s next from Dark Order and how Brodie was gonna come back regulating things once more, then I read Tony’s report on when they expect him to be back and how they can’t wait for his return and some more stuff, then boom he passes. Like wtf bro? I can go on with how some wrestlers or celebrity deaths lately ain’t been sitting right with me personally, but I’m rambling on enough. 

• Jeb ★ locked and unpinned this topic

Archived