'Sonic the Hedgehog' film discussion

Generations

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Side topic: I still want Sonic Adventure 3. Adventure 2 was my childhood. Even though me and my friend has a feud over what's better Adventure or Adventure 2.

Ok back to this, I'm still very skeptical about this, need to get my friends opinion since she is a bigger fan than me, and she does alot of Sonic Art on Deviantart

• 4 months later...

Sometimes they really REALLY make it hard for me to still be a Sonic fan. I want to give this a chance but, I still don't see any reason to. I love Jim Carey and grew up with his movies but, that just does not look like Dr.Eggman at all. Why couldn't they have just made it 100% CGI? It worked just fine for the Sonic Boom TV series. From what we know and what's been shown so far, this doesn't even look half as good as Detective Pikachu. This looks just as horrible as that shitty annoying "Sanic" meme.

He is gonna play the *Censored* outta that role XD

I was expecting him to be in full makeup though, but I'm guessing he will be by the end. "Day of reckoning", that's a goos description. I'm looking forward to this trailer

What gets me, are the same people who are hyped for Detective Pikachu going and talking trash about this. Because, honestly...this looks about on par with that. And I think both will be perfectly fine movies for what they are. I'll see both, and I'll probably enjoy both...because nothing about Sonic or Pokemon ever needed to be taken seriously in the world of film. Sometimes you need a Santino Marella or a Hurricane Helms to contrast your Umaga or your Rock.

Yeah, I'm not sure where this era of cgi that looks like horseshit came from. Feels like we're going backwards. Probably just big production companies wanting to spend less on designers. And, unfortunately, if movies like Detective Pikachu and Sonic do well, this will be the standard, because they got away with it.

I remember Who Framed Roger Rabbit and that one Looney Tunes movie where they had animated characters with their actual animated look within the real world. Sonic (maybe Detective Pikachu too) should've been that tbh

^ Yeah, that would have been cool.

But, like I said...animation is expensive. Especially the hand drawn kind. I remember hearing that movies like Roger Rabbit and Space Jam were a lot of work for that reason. Sad truth is, giant corporate interests are looking to make money without spending money. Cranking out stuff like this is exactly how they do that. They'll make movies like this until the numbers show that people aren't spending money to see it...which will probably never actually happen.

What gets me, are the same people who are hyped for Detective Pikachu going and talking trash about this. Because, honestly...this looks about on par with that. And I think both will be perfectly fine movies for what they are. I'll see both, and I'll probably enjoy both...because nothing about Sonic or Pokemon ever needed to be taken seriously in the world of film. Sometimes you need a Santino Marella or a Hurricane Helms to contrast your Umaga or your Rock.

I disagree it doesnt look on par with Detective Pikachu. This looks a lot more on par with a Alvin and the Chipmunks or Smurfs type of movie. I think what Detective Pikachu is seemingly doing better is putting thought into its world. It just looks more exciting. Do I want to see B-List actor interact with bad CGI cartoon character in plain, vanilla American setting? Or see a detective story in a colorful, neon city full of fantastical creatures? Detective Pikachu looks fun and Sonic just looks very boring on a pure visual basis.

Not what I originally pictured them doing with a Sonic movie but it's pretty much what I expected. And naw, Detective Pika is a whole other beast. I would potentially see that in theaters. This one is gonna have to show me more in upcoming trailers to get me to show up here, despite me being very curious. Dislike button is on smash XD, comments are going ape, and I just wanna read some reviews

*shakes head* when people sit around in a board meeting and approve that first picture as opposed to the second, it really makes me wonder what's going on in their head. They have to know fans are gonna go ape on them. Is this an "any press is good press" scenario?

Archived