KS Showcase 2019

ksdixon

54so4j.jpg

Megan Curtis

I've been trying to get this blasted character formed correctly since 2007. There was one moment when TNA were just starting their Knockouts division, when Angel Williams (not yet named Angelina Love), tricked another woman into charging her, as Angel herself stood on the apron in an over the top rope battle royal. That charging woman then ate a jawbreaker which caught their throat on the ropes. Angel Williams sat on the apron and just tapped her head like ''I'm smarter than you, bitch!''. Since that moment I've always thought there can be a great efed character there. A female Mr. Perfect/Curt Hennig. Someone who's moveset flows and moves follow-on from another fluidly. A lady with just the right amount of flash to her moves, to be seen as showing-up her opponents by out-wrestling them. The "Curtis" surname comes from Hennig, obviously. The Meghan name comes from me mistakenly thinking that Charlotte Flair (with her "I'm better than you" attitude) is portrayed by Megan Flier (it's not, it's Ashley Flier). But once I hit upon the Meghan Curtis name, it just sounded right. The cyan and black colors in her main attire are Curt Hennig (WCW era) tribute. The pink is just an attempt to make her more ''girly''/Hollywood-esque for Hollywood Ladies Wrestling. Late-on in 2k17 I changed her hair and attire-up to try to give her more of a cocky attitude/personality. Whilst I liked her new hair, I wasn't really sold on her tassell attire.

For 2k18 I had an idea of how I wanted her to look, including the Curt Hennig 'triangle of black' on the back/ass. I added-in the gold to give her more of her own look rather than being a full-on Hennig tribute. I also returned to pink again, but went with hot pink this time. I really, really like how she has turned-out on this year's game. What's more, is there are more 'fluid' moves on this year's game, so her finisher is now Tyler Breeze's Glitter Blizard.

2k19:
Not much has changed about Megan Curtis' visuals for this year's game, at least on this first draft. I may play around with her looks some more yet, but overall I'm quite happy with how she looks. The moveset has taken an upgrade, slotting-in newer 2k19 moves that fit her wrestling style better than her previous moves. Slowly, but surely, she's coming together into a full character with her own recogniseable moveset.

6p71o8.jpg

Mellissa Maverick

2k17's version of Mellissa Maverick I feel was closer to capturing Miss Madness's attire without being full-on evening gown/dress. But it was SUCH a pain in the ass to make, placing skin colored designs over the outfit on the leg, and trying to leave 'underwear' for when the in-match camera shots went up the legs. Various problems, like patterns resetting to white, or game patches making her look completely naked under the skirt even when the blue 'outfit' layer should still be showing through just made me not even want to attempt that attire again for 2k18. There are times where I hate the layering system that dictates, for example, that outfits go above everything else. Back in the old PS2 games I'd simply place skin colored tights on top of the outfit layer, then underwear layer on top of those - or I guess edit the length of the 'pants' part, but we can no longer edit the length of things. I only wanted the ''top'' half of the Natalya outfit without the ''pants''.

2k18 I feel is more of a unique look. I'm just not sure if it is straying ''too far'' from the original inspiration now. I feel like this is something you would see Summer Rae or Lana wear. But I do like it. In terms of wrestling style, she's totally Molly Holly :). I ''glitz'd'' up her attire so that she better fits-in with Hollywood Ladies Wrestling. Due to this I will most likely add some more flashy moves to her, I'm thinking some kicks.

2k19:

I feel as though 2k19 is the best version of Maverick yet. I've managed to re-capture that Miss Madness style of attire, but without having to stick her into a ''dress'' layer. And I've not had to faff around with skin colored logos to cover-up parts of an ''outfit'' layer. I do wish they wouldn't couple fishnets/tights/stockings with most of the women's bottoms, but at least the ones on this pair aren't too offensive. For now I only have this attire done for her. But I am working on a 2nd attire that is more in-line with what she wore as Molly Holly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Misc Updates:

I've got a bit of a system worked-out now. See a move I like, add it to the in-game favorites list. Craft-out someone's moveset. Then write down in excell who uses what, and remove those moves from the in-game favorites list at the same time. This way I kow quickly who's using what moves, so I don't end-up with any duplicates. Each caw should develop their own style in the ring this way. And it should hopefully mean a quick workflow can be achieved. Just tonight I've finished touching up Melissa Maverick, Megan Curtis, NEON, Sara Wiliams and Dianna Richards in the moveset departments Pictures of Sara, NEON and Diana coming soon..

VE9ILx8.png

BWX Arena

Last year's arena was the minitron/ribbon poking through the titantron, but the video display turned-off to create a 'door' for wrestlers to walk through. Unfortunately the way CCArena and CAEntrance works these days, the entrance settings for different video screens over-rides whatever you set the arena as. So this meant that every CAW I created, or downloaded, and every time I downloaded an updated CAW from a friend, I would have to go into CAEntrance and turn off all the video screens besides the Titantron. I couldn't have minitron/ribbon movies showing-up when that's supposed to be my 'door', can i? This was extremely tiresome, so although I originally had it like this, I knew I had to change the arena somehow, unless i wanted to doing this exercise every time I got a caw on 2K19.

EFy5jvA.png

8jD35Nc.jpg

Taking some inspiration from the current Impact Wrestling arena, where a giant video screen appears above an open area to walk-out from, and mixing it with the classic WCW Nitro which had the logo in the entrance way, I put together something. It's only partially complete at the moment, but, I'm running into some problems...

Is there something wrong with arena creation this year? I have my walls and minitron set to ''Pattern A'', but it seems like that doens't matter anymore, the images I have put on the walls and minitron are still getting replaced by videos during entrances. Can anyone offer any help?

IXxJYA3.jpg
y7IEEfG.jpg

Yeah, I've double-checked all my CAArena settings.

Titantron = Pattern B = logos completely removed by movie during entrances.
Minitron = Pattern A = logos show-ontop of (or through) movie footage during entrances - how much you see the logo depends on which movie is chosen.

I guess if I want to use minitron movies for people now, so that I don't have to edit CAEntranace video screens every time I get a CAW to turn off those movie displays, I cannot use video screens for movies at all.

But.. I was sure there used-to be a way to make it that logos would stay on video walls no matter what, during entrances? People haven't been manually editing every CAW's CAEntrance video screen displays all the way back to like WWE, 13 have they?

Advanced entrances are bugged as hell. Minitron/banner/etc movies will display on custom arena trons no matter which pattern you choose. Even if your superstar has one of their trons switched off it will still display a default graphic. Normal entrances however seem to work fine.

• 3 months later...

I'm still alive and working on CAWs, although it seems that I'm struggling these days to come up with creativity like I used-to. A lot of CAWs are character concepts that have been pulled together by importing layers from multiple downloaded characters and putting them all together how I like. But even when the visuals and movesets are done, I'm not feeling like anyone is ever finished, or anything resonates fully. I think the reason for this is becasue the characters no longer have that real fleshed-out feeling that character backgrounds and ongoing storylines gave them, back when they were in efeds; where you had to build them by roleplaying.

Like just now, I had the idea to combine Melissa Maverick and Megan Curtis into one character, as they're both technical wrestlers, with Mellissa being Molly Holly and Megan being Bret Hart/Curt Hennig. And I'm having a hard time coming up with reasons not to because whilst I like both characters, I don't have that same attachment that would ordinarily stop me from doing so. That update might come in a few days time.

Got some pics coming soon of what I've been working-on recently.

JGB91k4.jpg

Angelus

This girl doesn't really have a distinct fighting style, I just threw some indy-style moveset on her, the same as I would have for my old male indy caw Michael St Star. She could probably do with a new name, Angel [something], and a good old fashioned sit-down session to make a moveset for her that speaks to her looks, because she looks like she could really become something special. A character I make on future games for sure.

Gy8XRsL.jpg

Cassie Curtis

This is Megan Curtis and Mellissa Maverick combined. As you can probably guess, I've thrown-in a healthy dose of Cassie Cage from Mortal Kombat X/MK11. Cassie's cocky attitude more than covers that kind of show-off style that Megan Curtis previously took from Curt Hennig. As I was blending the attires I found that blue, gold, silver and black kind of went together well; and I already had in my mind that I wanted to do something with the Seth Rollins tights. Bringing Cassie Cage into the mix a little allows me to break from her technical moves slightly, so you might see ''Double C'' bust out something like a codebreaker or a feint kick, just to show-up the opponent even more.

3bOYzCi.jpg

Eliza Aries

In past years, you would have seen Eliza Aries rocking the white and gold of Angelus, as she was the female counterpart to her brother Elijah Aries, whom used that color scheme. Instead, I tried something different. I wanted an abstract black and white pattern for some of her outfit, like the tights from Austin Aries' ''belt collector'' run in Impact last year. But then I wanted something to overlap and add some color into the tights, something along the lines of what Chris Jericho would have had back in WCW. I found a lucha mask logo on CC and moved it around a bit. This is how Eliza came out this year. I also wanted to do a test, and see if I could make a simillar attire which could be applied to both tights and trunks.

AYSQioB.jpg

kgCkrG7.jpg

Sara Williams

The blue and black long tights are an evolution of the old Chris Lionheart attire I made back on SVR2010. I really like how the attire turned out. The red and black trunks using the Charlotte Flair pieces was my attempt at making her more feminine.

Later-on in the game I wanted to play around with her some more, and get away from the iconic's top a little bit. I tried out her hairstyle from a few games ago, and also in a ponytail. I have both versions of her that you see above, and I can't really decide which I like better.

• 1 month later...

L3aKff6.png

Decided to keep Megan Curtis and Mellissa Maverick, so this character becomes a masked Cruiserweight.

VamqBLw.png

Latina Sensation.

KigrmGa.png

based on a friend's old caw. just noticed her face logo has corrupted.

0P3S82S.jpg

shameless M Bison ripoff. Love how she moves in the ring with plenty of stiff kicks.

aLnABrz.jpg

With me deciding to keep Megan Curtis and Mellissa Maverick, and changing the previou[]s merged CAW into a nameless masked luchadore, I wanted to revamp MC and MM. This is the new-look Megan Curtis.

H5QjJ81.jpg

And here is the new Mellissa Maverick. The old two side ponytail hairstyle was a little too restrictive. I've found I like watching her fight with this new single ponytail hairstyle a lot more. I've also made her attire a bit more revealing, slowly breaking her away from the Miss Madness evening gown look into something a bit more modern. Now that I'm happy with her look, I need to decide how to approach a 2nd attire for her. A simple color swap (to what?), or try to find a new look that also suits her?

ELO5E9I.jpg

Sara Williams also gets a slight visual adjustment alongside her moveset overhaul. Hopefully, she gets back to being a beast in the ring, so I wanted to style her on Brock Lesnar with this black and white attire.

g2pXVFo.jpg

KC Quinn, sister of Ethan Quinn, rounds-out this four pack. I really like how the hair dye glitch I discovered worked on her hair.

Man... I get so annoyed with this series' AI.

- Why is is that changing a signiature or finisher can change how aggressive or effective a created wrestler fights?

- Or moving the same moves around in the move slots (O and up, O and left etc.) can change how aggressive or effective a created wrestler fights?

- Why do CAWs that are dominant in Exhibition turn into complete jobbers in Universe Mode, or the other way around?

Brock Lesnar inspired Sara Williams currently has her old moveset which is what I want her to have, but she fights like a complete knob in my universe mode. Which is annoying because she's pretty good in exhibition mode. I decided to do an alt attire based on Lesnar's NJPW time.

BE6bFRa.jpg

Also, I gave Eliza an alt attire. Still need to take this logo off of the game and clean it up on the PC for recoloring and use in future games.

QXRHhQu.jpg

Archived