Create-a-taunt

abhunter

Why hasnt this awesome feature ever been brought back? This seems like such a great thing to really add the uniqueness of each CAW. Id like to see this, and the ability to set custom signs back in the game.

Do you think create a taunt has a place in modern games? Discuss below

Personally, not really.

I think there's many more things that need fixing/perfecting before adding in a brand new (well, kind of) creation tool which will be particularly difficult to get right. Sure, you could use a Kinect-like device to capture movements, but what percentage of PS/Xbox users have those tools?

Why? As it was before it was spammable, and all we ever heard was people complaining about it. The way it is isn't too deep, its simple "one direction gives one type of buff, the other direction gives a different buff", its not spammable, and the way its set-up gives us way more than just 4 taunts.

I can imagine the spammable aspect of the old taunts greatly effecting online matches, I didn't consider that, as I hardly ever play online. But even then, there was always enough opportunity to interrupt a taunt if your opponent didn't do it at a proper time. It was a simple feature that worked properly, I don't think it was that terrible. With that said, I do see the point that you're making.

I can imagine the spammable aspect of the old taunts greatly effecting online matches, I didn't consider that, as I hardly ever play online. But even then, there was always enough opportunity to interrupt a taunt if your opponent didn't do it at a proper time. It was a simple feature that worked properly, I don't think it was that terrible. With that said, I do see the point that you're making.

It never worked properly. lol.

You could literally get a Finisher by taunting a few times.

That meant you could never taunt for storytelling purposes, without losing your signature. And otherwise it was quite unfair aswell. Some taunts last a second and could be down in succession several times to "cheat" your way to a Finisher, while other taunts were complicated dance sequences, that took like 20 seconds to finish, which wouldn't matter, if it didn't put wrestlers with these taunt at a massive disadvantage-

The way taunts work now is way mroe balanced. Especially since we can now have like 5 times the amount of taunts beforea and they can no longer be spammed through matches.

Even offline you didn't have friends that rollout the ring when you got signature or finisher. And would spam taunts until they got one. Claiming it as fair since the game allowed it.

I like how the taunts work by now...thats a really cool idea to use them.

As for a create a taung...no its the least create mode i would need.

I would be happy with a more detailed create a entrance mode or a create a finisher again...but create a taunt is not high on my list.

It would be nice to have it back down the line however.

Why? As it was before it was spammable, and all we ever heard was people complaining about it. The way it is isn't too deep, its simple "one direction gives one type of buff, the other direction gives a different buff", its not spammable, and the way its set-up gives us way more than just 4 taunts.

The As It Was Before argument is a weak one, with all due respect, as it is also used for Create A Finisher. Both highly popular features, if there was a hole in them, you tweak it and add to it and evolve it to make it better. When we used to fantasize years and years ago about how great the games would be by this point in time, whats the excuse for them not having lived up to that potential, nevermind how much popular features were instead actually removed with no sign of a return? Im still always gonna be mad about the removal of stances, walks, runs, et cetera, being customizable. The lack of it all contributes to why gameplay just looks so shitty in general, in the sense that you dont really feel like you are who youre playing as. I could go on but I have, time and time again.

Slogan for 2K20 should be #BeBetter

But yeah, create a taunt should definitely make a comeback. The addition of the customization of fingers and facial expressions from Create A Superstar would make it epic. Curious how they would execute it, but they sure had no problem just up and trashing the last incarnation of it, so...

Except the current system in my opinion IS better than what we had. Sure, improve instead of remove, but improvement sometimes means changing. The old system was frustrating, boring, and easy to spam. the change has made it far better, far less repetitive, and much more important to strategy.

"as it was before" was not an excuse for removal, it was me pointing out the problems the previous system had, which the new one fixed. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that i'm excusing the absence of selectable walk animations, stances, etc.

Hell, I hated the create a finisher system and don't want the old one back, but I would not be against its return at all if its been re-thought out. So respect to you man, but please don't put words in my mouth.

I remember a conversation that wasnt even that long ago, maybe around the release of the last game, where I and maybe another guy had brought up walks, runs, even create a Finisher, and you specifically did say you hated CAF as it was and also replied to the idea of walks, runs, stances in a sort of disgust because the gameplay had enough glitches and problems and that would just be the death of it, which.....fair enough. Lol. I guess I did misunderstand and take it as you saying you hated that too.

Create A Finisher needed to be way more fluid, I agree, but removed? I remember I was getting excited because we had CAF for so long that it was only a matter of time before they added submission and springboard and corner moves. Lol. The future is a work..

CAF waa legit broken. In not opposed to bringing it back but irs removal was just as much a "get rid of buggy code" thing as anything else. I hated it because it broke the game and idiots used it to create nine gut kick finishers.

As for stances and running animations, I have no recollection of stating I didnt want them back. Perhaps I said id prefer they focus on other stuff first?

I mean, im one of the biggest critics of the current running animation.

Not to mention the buffs have far more strategic value.

i DESPISE that debuff shit. it ruined my enjoyment of 2K18 that it got to the point that i turned the AI reversal sliders all the way down. so for the past 6 months ive been playing the with AI having no offense during the matches. it doesn't sound fun and its not, but at least i don't have to deal with that debuff garbage.

Not to mention the buffs have far more strategic value.

i DESPISE that debuff shit. it ruined my enjoyment of 2K18 that it got to the point that i turned the AI reversal sliders all the way down. so for the past 6 months ive been playing the with AI having no offense during the matches. it doesn't sound fun and its not, but at least i don't have to deal with that debuff garbage.

Taunt buffs and reversal debuffs arent the same thing.

People keep mentioning the spamming nature of it, but is it that difficult to treat Momentum increase in a similar facet as the power buff? In theory you could use the power buff consistently until it runs out, then taunt and get it right back. If your opponent for whatever reason can't stop it, you'll have that boost the entire match if you can maintain it.

Give the momentum buff taunt a "cool down" so to speak where you can taunt until the cows come home, but only that first one give you the momentum boost. After the cool down, the next taunt will increase the momentum and, like previous games, the shorter the taunt animation, the less momentum gained, and the less time for the cool down. Or eliminate that completely and have every taunt give the same bit of momentum, maybe give Taunt it's own attribute so that it effects both the power buff taunts and the momentum boost taunts?

There's a way to do it without completely writing out what it was originally used for.

As for the original question, I'd love to see it back. Is not like there aren't a bunch of wonky-looking animations in the game so I'm not worried around it looking weird in comparison to other mo-capped animations. Every time I'm in CAS and I quickly scroll through the list of the... I don't know what they call them in-game, but the match-up screen taunts, where you can edit the poss, expression, and hand gesture, I get an idea of how it could look in today's games. It would take a little doing and there are other areas in the game that should be prioritized, but it would be a fun return. People made some pretty hilarious taunts back in the day and many of them didn't look so out of place with the rest of the game.

As a side note, can I just say that if they were able to default superstars faces during entrances and allow you to change the expressions at various points during them, that alone would be a huge change. Though, I'm sure having moved away from hand-drawn animation to incorporate more mo-cap makes something like that more of a pain to execute. Or maybe not? Who knows

Archived