What is wrong?

EJ!

Biggest Flaw  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is the biggest flaw?

• Game Modes
    • Match Types
    • Creation Suite
    • Cosmetics (presentation, graphics, models etc.)
    • Core Gameplay
    • Other

I see a lot of people have their gripes with the series but I cant seem to put a finger what the consensus is for what the biggest problem is. So if you had to pick one thing that just irks you about the series, out of curiosity, what would it be?

I dont want this to become a wishlist topic so if comes to that, mods can close it. Just the biggest flaw in your opinion.

AI.

which in conjuction with inaccurate movesets and impractical reversals that actual wrestlers don't do. Kinda drags down the feeling for playing as certain ppl. Because things can feel a little samey. They've def improved in the last 2 years. By adding the like personality traits. And movesets aren't as completely horrible as they used to be. Of course there are also some really cool reversals. I see a new one every couple of matches still.

*i would want AI worked on, so the CPU doesn't do some of the same exact things in matches (its akin to playing against ur buddy. Like no matter what character/team ur buddy picks in Tekken or Madden. U know how he plays. So hes gonna do the same stuff. If he likes to spam low punches and grabs. He will do that if he's Paul or if he's Yoshimitsu. If he runs on first down all the time. He's gonna do that whether he's the Browns or the Dolphins. I want to face an AI that doesn't play the same way if the CPU is big show. That they would if they were Lince Dorado.

*i would like more move options to be set to NONE. I don't want Andre the Giant to have apron dives. I should be able to turn that off for him. If i don't want a wrestler using the Carry System moves. I should be able to turn that off. If a wrestler doesn't do taunts in certain positions in real life. I shouldn't have to set one. Lots of people don't do top rope taunts. So I should be able to just set that to NONE,

*i would go back to 2 button reversals. Maybe its rose colored glasses. That was a feature i always enjoyed in older games. It felt right to me. I would also have someone go thru and take a better look at reversals. And the types of reversals WWE wrestlers actually use in certain positions and moves. The way they are no isn't realistic. Half of the reversals are just things that nobody has ever done. I would also want to be able to edit reversals. As we can with our "Kick reversals". I should be able to choose what my reversals are for being on top rope, being in a waistlock , being put in a front facelock, being in the corner etc.

*movesets need to be way more accurate. At the very least someone should go in and get rid of the really obvious mistakes. And over the years with how many in-game moves and taunts there are now. U will find a move/taunt thats in the game, and not even assigned to the person that does it or that it was mocapped for. They have been making John Cena/Randy Orton/Jericho etc for literally decades. Those movesets should be perfect by now imo. They really need a more generic base for movesets that they build off of. It seems the original base had stuff like Floatover neckbreakers etc that normal wrestlers don't use.

its not even a case of needing more moves in the game. The moves are already in the game. They just don't assign the correct ones to ppl.

this is where Fire Pro always shined for me. They had hundreds of wrestlers in their games. And somehow the movesets were pretty accurate. There were lots of different reversals, styles and stances to choose. And the move logic was pretty good too. So the wrestlers behaved and used their moves at the frequency their real life counterpart would. And u could tweak the move logic too.

Where to start on this...pretty much everything up there could need a complete overhaul.

But yeah, i would go with AI being the thing that could easily help the game more than people might think.

If the AI works well enough, is challenging and offers unique things...then you can work a bit slower on fixing other things.

But probably the games biggest problem is the Foundation it runs on...that one is just too old and outdated.

Bug testing and fixing. Its my single greatest gripe and i feel it feeds a lot of issues others have.

^Pretty much what I was going to say.

2K18 wasn't playable for me, not enough to constantly play it I mean. The bugs and glitches it had just put me right off.

Gameplay, not just bugs and glitches but also the slowdown in multiman matches. Hell if 8 in the ring doesn't work, then don't add it until it does.

AI.

which in conjuction with inaccurate movesets and impractical reversals that actual wrestlers don't do. Kinda drags down the feeling for playing as certain ppl. Because things can feel a little samey. They've def improved in the last 2 years. By adding the like personality traits. And movesets aren't as completely horrible as they used to be. Of course there are also some really cool reversals. I see a new one every couple of matches still.

*i would want AI worked on, so the CPU doesn't do some of the same exact things in matches (its akin to playing against ur buddy. Like no matter what character/team ur buddy picks in Tekken or Madden. U know how he plays. So hes gonna do the same stuff. If he likes to spam low punches and grabs. He will do that if he's Paul or if he's Yoshimitsu. If he runs on first down all the time. He's gonna do that whether he's the Browns or the Dolphins. I want to face an AI that doesn't play the same way if the CPU is big show. That they would if they were Lince Dorado.

*i would like more move options to be set to NONE. I don't want Andre the Giant to have apron dives. I should be able to turn that off for him. If i don't want a wrestler using the Carry System moves. I should be able to turn that off. If a wrestler doesn't do taunts in certain positions in real life. I shouldn't have to set one. Lots of people don't do top rope taunts. So I should be able to just set that to NONE,

*i would go back to 2 button reversals. Maybe its rose colored glasses. That was a feature i always enjoyed in older games. It felt right to me. I would also have someone go thru and take a better look at reversals. And the types of reversals WWE wrestlers actually use in certain positions and moves. The way they are no isn't realistic. Half of the reversals are just things that nobody has ever done. I would also want to be able to edit reversals. As we can with our "Kick reversals". I should be able to choose what my reversals are for being on top rope, being in a waistlock , being put in a front facelock, being in the corner etc.

*movesets need to be way more accurate. At the very least someone should go in and get rid of the really obvious mistakes. And over the years with how many in-game moves and taunts there are now. U will find a move/taunt thats in the game, and not even assigned to the person that does it or that it was mocapped for. They have been making John Cena/Randy Orton/Jericho etc for literally decades. Those movesets should be perfect by now imo. They really need a more generic base for movesets that they build off of. It seems the original base had stuff like Floatover neckbreakers etc that normal wrestlers don't use.

its not even a case of needing more moves in the game. The moves are already in the game. They just don't assign the correct ones to ppl.

this is where Fire Pro always shined for me. They had hundreds of wrestlers in their games. And somehow the movesets were pretty accurate. There were lots of different reversals, styles and stances to choose. And the move logic was pretty good too. So the wrestlers behaved and used their moves at the frequency their real life counterpart would. And u could tweak the move logic too.

Excellent post. I agree.

I really want Reversal Styles like Fire Pro/Day of Reckoning, and I think a Fight style mechanism like those games also had that dictates how they wrestle would be good too (along with the AI playing to the Attributes/Abilities/Skills/Personality Traits).

I think it all starts and ends with gameplay. All the flash and flare and features are nothing if, at the end of the day, I can play 10 straight matches and zero of them are without multiple glitches and slow-moving in areas where it shouldnt be. We had things like personalized walks and stances and runs and hidden things based on your stance, and, instead of it evolving and getting even better and more realistic over time, they just removed them and left us with the most generic-looking universal walk and run.

I had a regular singles match with The Rock and Austin the other day and just didnt feel like I was playing with either one, aside from their great-looking models. People even used to have their own stomps and that was taken away for some reason, instead of only improved upon the way they did with other outdated animations. Wrestling and its characters are not just moves; its all the little mannerisms and nuances and quirks that make these characters who they are, and I just look forward to a day where we can feel that again with almost everyone. But developers know this and I know talking about it is one thing and execution is a whole other beast..

Match types I dont mind so much. Yeah i will always miss Triple Threat Tornado Tags and would love 4-way Tornado Tags....yeah I wish thumbtacks were available in Extreme Rules matches...yeah I wish we got War Games years ago...a womens Royal Rumble...a 6 or 8 person non-gimmick match where going out of the ring was allowed.....I wish Fans Bring The Weapons was still an option in match customization. Theres lots of stuff that could go in, but if the gameplay isnt award-worthy, then whats the point? It would just be adding to the glitch and bugfest.

Creation Suite is getting back to where it was, year by year, but Create A Superstar is by far the best it had ever been. If only there was no custom logo limit (or the limit was raised a bit) so I could download and upload creations to my hearts content. But again, I would create joshis who just happened to be below 5 foot 3, most of them, and theyd have the ugliest rope glitches based around their height. This is at a time where the sizes of women in WWE have gotten shorter and shorter and this REALLY cant be an issue, going forward.

How different would our conversations of the games be if gameplay was perfection?

All of those moves they removed were removed because they were "outdated" and did not look as good, even though they should not have been removed to begin with and they have been way too lazy to put them back in. All of those features listed above are part of what is wrong, but here is the biggest what is wrong with the game..

it is a yearly release and almost no yearly releases are good games. Thre just is not enough time to work out all of the bugs ect that actually needs to be done. Things get rushed, overlooked or left out. So that is the biggest problem and untill that gets fixed, we will keep seeing all of these problems. I mean what Firepro has taken what 4 years or more, imagine how much better the smackdown games were if they were given say 2 years to work on everything for example.

Slider and gameplay balancing for human vs. human matches.

I have had to use custom sliders I found on Reddit for the last 3 years running because people reverse WAY too much and don't stay on the mat long enough to recreate any moments from TV.

AI as well but that was covered pretty much by eastcoastkody.

Why does the AI never go immediately into either a pin attempt or wake up taunt + finish after hitting their sig?

Also the constant middle rope corner taunt they do is frustrating.

Gameplay. I dunno why because while some moves from Raw 2 and SvR 06 are still missing, the recent games still have a wide plethora of choices. However, playing the matches just seem boring (probably because I haven't amped it to the most difficult setting?). When I play, I usually have fun of some sorts Elimination Chamber, where there are more opponents that (usually) won't break up pins. Probably because there's more to do than just wear down an opponent - you have to wear down and beat multiple opponents. Perhaps I'd have more fun if they had Gauntlet?

Though actually, I'm thinking I don't have fun much because there's little to no payoff or reward, on top of having boring matches. It's weird because the main payoff is getting VCs to unlock shit, but then again it's hard to earn enough VCs and requires constant grinding in matches that aren't fun, whether in MyCAREER or out of it.

MyCAREER sucks though. Like, I went from being excited to being bored and annoyed with it. Far too much grinding, which wouldn't be bad if the gameplay was actually fun, and the storyline/s made sense.

Game Modes. I love the gameplay, it's actually possible now to have fluid sequences and epic moments that feel natural and I love that.

It just sucks that I don't feel I have the tools to really enjoy it. My Career is a waste that has been incapable in 4 years of giving me exciting moments I truly want to play and be excited about and Universe Mode relies too much on imagination and don't offer enough variety/options.

Bug testing and fixing. Its my single greatest gripe and i feel it feeds a lot of issues others have.

This, also poor optimization on pc which makes the overall game feel not too enjoyable. These games need more testing and polishing before launch.

They fix one problem and ruin 4 other things that were working

They are trying to make it as a wrestling version of NBA when it really isn't and it shouldn't be. WWE games suffer from identity crisis, every game under THQ had something special about it (although it wasn't always Bloom and gloom) it had that special thing about it whether it's HCTP season mode or SvR10 creation oackage while WWE 2K games all feel the same with some minor tweaks

Archived