2K Games is expanding, WWE games overhaul expected

liontamer*

I mean what else can you really expect from a Career for an NBA game? WWE you can do a lot more with Career mode wise. Hell at least their commentary is top notch.

What the hell did THQ bring to the table?

Some of the greatest wrestling games of all time. HCTP, SYM, SVR, SVR06, SVR 07. I get in their later years they *censored*ed up a lot. But they had gems. Im not going to completely act like THQ didnt give me fun games.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

before THQ....we had pretty crappy wrestling games made by American videogame companies.

they at least had the forsight to steal some good japanese wrestling games slap an American skin on it...and repurpose them for WCW & WWF fans.

I mean what else can you really expect from a Career for an NBA game? WWE you can do a lot more with Career mode wise. Hell at least their commentary is top notch.

Some of the greatest wrestling games of all time. HCTP, SYM, SVR, SVR06, SVR 07. I get in their later years they *censored*ed up a lot. But they had gems. Im not going to completely act like THQ didnt give me fun games.
Conveniently leaving out all the duds is not an argument. And considering they straight up, no mistake, lied to us AND the people they were employing... I don't really see where they earned themselves the benefit of the doubt.

A reasonably entertaining story mode every year (sometimes multiple), some better than others. Some super creative in taking things outside the norm, all better written than the drivel between matches we currently get.

Hell, the cutscenes in Smackdown 2 were more entertaining than what we're currently getting.

There was Create-a-Story and Create-a-Finisher, which 2K understandably cut as most of the things people uploaded were trash, and Create-a-Story was probably a moderation nightmare, not to mention the problem they'd have now with all of the created content that would need to come along with each downloaded, but still they haven't bothered to replace either with anything.

There's the much beloved GM Mode.

That cool decorate your crib thing they did for a few years, which they actually lifted from 2K and featured those neat little challenge matches which now get lost in the background as trophies or achievements, but could be more.

The Undertaker Beat the Streak mode their final year was great, cheap as hell, but a really great addition to the series which could've spun off into something else.

Showcases, something 2K has unfortunately moved away from as the main anchor for the series after two installments and treated as an afterthought with their dlc inclusion in 2K17. If you can't be bothered to come up with a genuine story mode, this is essential, because My Career and Universe don't cut it...in their current form.

That's just stuff of the top of my head...but then there's things like Slobber Knocker, and Guest Referee sorely missing. Sure the moves removal phases sucked and some of the guys in charge were dingbats, but even with their off years there was still a level of excitement for each release. Now it's just "I guess I'll get it for the updated roster..."

There's no hook or draw anymore. It's now literally the same 'ol shit some feared EA would turn it into. It's frickin' Madden....and the sad thing is, Madden now actually has a somewhat compelling story mode as one of their main features. 2K can do better, hopefully they will with this news, but I'd be lying if I wasn't fearing the worst with this year's game.

I cannot believe people are still bringing up games like HCTP as if it acts as some kind of valid argument. THQ themselves never lived up to HCTP, claiming 2K hasn't is just a silly distraction of an argument.

I enjoy the 2K games. Are they perfect? *Censored* no. But they at least started moving forward instead of the constant stagnation THQ found themselves in for almost 3 quarters of a decades worth of releases, and at least 2K, as annoying as their "don't show don't tell" approach to marketing is, didn't have an idiot claiming "YOU'RE JUST PLAYING THE GAME WRONG" when bugs were pointed out, or another idiot who ended up with the fan catch phrase of "maybe next year" or hell, a third guy (admittedly nowhere near as much an idiot as the other two) with an almost perverse obsession with overselling.

THQ had the same amount of bugs as 2K but without the forward momentum. I still remember waiting for years for a goddamn chokeslam that didn't have a ridiculous flip-over sell. I still remember their horrible excuse for not including entrance attires, or their excuse for the crotch blur (good job guys, 2K almost immediately proved that shit false), or the stupid "slots" argument that to this day is still stuck in some peoples minds despite being complete bullshit.

I still remember the lead-up to SvR 2011, where someone pointed out that the demo they were showing to Bryan Williams seemed to be missing a shit-ton of moves and he simply said (paraphrased) "Oh they just haven't been converted yet, they'll be in the full game". So what big thing is 2011 remembered for again? or right, the cumulative removal of over 400 moves, some of which we still haven't been able to get back yet. Or how about the build-up to WWE '12 with the black square bug that was clearly visible in pre-release builds, and Corey Ledesma claimed that the bug had already been fixed and would not be present in the release build. Guess what bug was still in the release build? At least 2K has never straight up lied to our faces in promotional content.

And gameplay wise, I understand a lot of people prefer the arcade style that was once head of the table, and for those people I sincerely do hope that 2K gets a second team working on a more arcade-like game (perhaps bring back All Stars since it was *censored*ing fantastic), but I've had more than enough of arcade personally, and I truly enjoy the simulation direction of the series, especially as we're moving into a new era where despite their MAAAAANY failings, WWE is taking a few directions and pointers form the indy and puroresu wrestling markets.

Now, what do I hope is obtained from this higher focus on 2K managements part? Well first off, Yukes has got to go. I truly believe they are a major part of the past stagnation and I just can't imagine its easy on VC having to constantly deal with the language barrier there. Secondly, a higher budget means more money for more talented programmers to be put into more systems, and hopefully a LOT more money for bug testing.

Unfortunately I doubt even now think that WWE will allow the end of the yearly release schedule, that greed train just shows no sign whatsoever of slowing down.

It absolutely kills me that 2K hasn't taken the efforts in improving the sound of the series. We all know how good the sound and commentary has been in the NBA games for nearly two decades, but here we are four games in and the crowd is annoying as hell (why not actually use real arena clips?) and the commentary still sounds way too canned. I'll admit I don't know if they have any pull at all with the WWE on dictating what Cole and company say or how they say it without them having their ego's bruised and how much the WWE's writing staff may be involved, but it just doesn't sound anywhere close to being natural. Either WWE is hindering them in those respects, or 2K's sound director overseeing the project doesn't know what he/she's doing. And after this made it into 2K17's dlc, I'll assume the latter...

I cannot believe people are still bringing up games like HCTP as if it acts as some kind of valid argument. THQ themselves never lived up to HCTP, claiming 2K hasn't is just a silly distraction of an argument.

I enjoy the 2K games. Are they perfect? *Censored* no. But they at least started moving forward instead of the constant stagnation THQ found themselves in for almost 3 quarters of a decades worth of releases, and at least 2K, as annoying as their "don't show don't tell" approach to marketing is, didn't have an idiot claiming "YOU'RE JUST PLAYING THE GAME WRONG" when bugs were pointed out, or another idiot who ended up with the fan catch phrase of "maybe next year" or hell, a third guy (admittedly nowhere near as much an idiot as the other two) with an almost perverse obsession with overselling.

THQ had the same amount of bugs as 2K but without the forward momentum. I still remember waiting for years for a goddamn chokeslam that didn't have a ridiculous flip-over sell. I still remember their horrible excuse for not including entrance attires, or their excuse for the crotch blur (good job guys, 2K almost immediately proved that shit false), or the stupid "slots" argument that to this day is still stuck in some peoples minds despite being complete bullshit.

I still remember the lead-up to SvR 2011, where someone pointed out that the demo they were showing to Bryan Williams seemed to be missing a shit-ton of moves and he simply said (paraphrased) "Oh they just haven't been converted yet, they'll be in the full game". So what big thing is 2011 remembered for again? or right, the cumulative removal of over 400 moves, some of which we still haven't been able to get back yet. Or how about the build-up to WWE '12 with the black square bug that was clearly visible in pre-release builds, and Corey Ledesma claimed that the bug had already been fixed and would not be present in the release build. Guess what bug was still in the release build? At least 2K has never straight up lied to our faces in promotional content.

And gameplay wise, I understand a lot of people prefer the arcade style that was once head of the table, and for those people I sincerely do hope that 2K gets a second team working on a more arcade-like game (perhaps bring back All Stars since it was *censored*ing fantastic), but I've had more than enough of arcade personally, and I truly enjoy the simulation direction of the series, especially as we're moving into a new era where despite their MAAAAANY failings, WWE is taking a few directions and pointers form the indy and puroresu wrestling markets.

Now, what do I hope is obtained from this higher focus on 2K managements part? Well first off, Yukes has got to go. I truly believe they are a major part of the past stagnation and I just can't imagine its easy on VC having to constantly deal with the language barrier there. Secondly, a higher budget means more money for more talented programmers to be put into more systems, and hopefully a LOT more money for bug testing.

Unfortunately I doubt even now think that WWE will allow the end of the yearly release schedule, that greed train just shows no sign whatsoever of slowing down.

Spot on sir. I actually bought HCTP again recently and unfortunately it could not hold me for too long, I need my sim. Of course I 100% agree with Yukes needing to go and I understand people who have concerns for what that might mean for the series but I can bet the house that a game more bare than 2K15 would ever be released and for what its worth, I actually liked 2K15 for what it is and in many ways think that gameplay-wise, the games slowly started to go backward on the sim style after that. It felt like they spread the simulation thin rather than built on it from 2K15.

Peoples complaints with 2K are mostly cosmetic I have noticed, and thats a different conversation than I am usually ever trying to have about this game because I am always gameplay-first so I still believe a sim wrestling game is in the right hands with these guys and I really want to see Visual Concepts vision for this game without the difficulty of Yukes and their dusty old duct taped engine.

I know they are different sports, but playing NBA 2K almost my whole life, I can say that it is the pinnacle of simulation and with the increase in resources and money, I would love to see the same love and effort be put towards WWE because I am confident they can knock it out of the park.

As they knocked it out of the park for past 4 games.

We also have same opinion on the people who complain on THQ games and praise these utter garbage 2K games. Ratings talk a lot which is a better game and which won universal applause.

Utter garbage in terms of what? I only care about gameplay and CAW so if youre talking about Showcase mode or myCareer or whatever else then we arent having the same discussion.

We also have same opinion on the people who complain on THQ games and praise these utter garbage 2K games. Ratings talk a lot which is a better game and which won universal applause.

Utter garbage in terms of what? I only care about gameplay and CAW so if youre talking about Showcase mode or myCareer or whatever else then we arent having the same discussion.

Apart from gameplay and roster these games dint brought anything and removed ton of things which were in previous games and they bring them back as new and even then they bring those things slowly. Its the 6th year and 5th game since 2K took over the franchise and we havent even seen all the removed match types yet, forget about new match types. They dint bring back create a story mode or caf.

Coming to utter garbage they are best at having bugs, horrible career mode, removing things and giving the illusion to customers as they are working on other modes, in reality the game modes are becoming utter garbage every year. The only thing I enjoyed last year is RTG and as I got the game on PC, I enjoyed modding the game.

This is all most likely just hyping up the changes they'll make for the next Gen consoles around 2020-21 (so I hear), but either way I hope they don't do to much changes with stuff thats already pretty solid as is like CAW mode.

The gameplay doesn't really need to much of change either other than the submission options and some things. I've seen matches in real life where one tries to pull the other out of the ring and a struggle war takes place, but in the game you can just pull a wrestler right out of the ring or toss them over the barricade effortlessly.

The more counter options the better.

There's definitely improvements to be made but in my opinion the games are still FAR and above the THQ era.

This.

There was only so much I could take with The Stooges running the circus. "We took it out this year, but don't panic.. we'll add it back 4 years later and hype it as brand spanking new!!"

What they said, THQ stuff got exceedingly stale by the tail end of it.

I dunno, WWE'13 and 2K14 were really good entries in the series.

And even as a whole, 2K hasn't came close to the things THQ would bring to the table each year.

The last two games have been piss-poor overall packages, even more so when you consider how bug ridden, poorly designed, and terribly written MyCareer and Universe mode are.

The creation suite, server performance, and core IN RING gameplay are top notch, but the rest?

Dog poop.

Straight up, dog poop.

So much wrong here, but to each their own I guess...

It's funny how all the positive THQ stuff is from 2006 and earlier, which mostly doesn't even hold up today. That commentary botch for example...? Have you ever listened to the SvR commentary? Or how empty every crowd sounded in the past, where you could basically hear someone play "Announcer Track Wrestler X" and mute "Everything else" on a keyboard. Or how about unplayable weightclasses? There is so much stuff in the Old THQ games that simply get a pass because it was "back then". Yet most of the issues can still be applied to the modern games of them. Remember in SvR'11 where Universe = Exhibition? You couldn't vacate titles, you needed to have the Unified Tag-team titles on someone, while the game only had two or three wrestlers with two titles entrances. Or all the flat out lies told during the PR work from SvR'07 onwards.

There is so much stuff I remember people being furious about. On this site and on YouTube. I remember being called a THQ fanboy for defending some of the stuff. Yet here we are. "The previous games were always better." is an awful diease in the sport-games franchises, one, which is always results in criticism being taking less and less seriously.

As GMP said. There is alot of stuff that needs fixing and alot of room for improvement, but unlike with 2k, we are actually getting that. Remember the graphic upgrade from 2k14 to 2k15? The game itself didn't even come close to looking complete, but the graphics alone were such a leap from the THQ stagnation, that the first John Cena screenshot they released was mind blowing. And since then, while not improving the general graphics of the game, they still put a big focus on presentation. The lightning makes entrances really come to life. Something the THQ games NEVER did. And who can forget the years, almost a whole decade, of having the exact same entrances for the majority of the roster?

Apart from gameplay and roster these games dint brought anything and removed ton of things which were in previous games and they bring them back as new and even then they bring those things slowly. Its the 6th year and 5th game since 2K took over the franchise and we havent even seen all the removed match types yet, forget about new match types. They dint bring back create a story mode or caf.

Coming to utter garbage they are best at having bugs, horrible career mode, removing things and giving the illusion to customers as they are working on other modes, in reality the game modes are becoming utter garbage every year. The only thing I enjoyed last year is RTG and as I got the game on PC, I enjoyed modding the game.

The only features that you claim were removed were never in the 2K games to begin with, and even then there are very good reasons for them not adding them to the series. Create a finisher? Looked clunky and was very easy to create glitch moves online, resulting in cheap victories. GM Mode? The AI was horribly biased, plus TEW does a far, far better job at the fantasy booker than GM mode ever did and is little over half the price. ($34.95 for TEW compared to $60 for the standard edition of 2K19) The many match types like Inferno and Casket? They were very awkward to play, plus they are very rarely used on WWE TV anyway. When was the last time we saw in inferno match, 2006? As for create a story mode I can see that being a real good way to burn through all your logos.

And you say the 2K games are glitchfests but I remember THQ games being just as bad if not worse in that regard. Who can forget COMMENTARY PLACEHOLDER in WWE 12 or the one count glitch in 13?

Who can forget for another 10 decades the worst gaming title for WWE2K18 on Nintendo Switch! They dint even address the issue or atleast attempted to make the game least playable. It got the title worst game ever made. I am feeling sorry for all those people who got the game on switch with the hope on 2K.

And these are from their first 5 years of taking up the franchise and I am worried how much worse we have to see in the future.

Who can forget for another 10 decades the worst gaming title for WWE2K18 on Nintendo Switch! They dint even address the issue or atleast attempted to make the game least playable. I am feeling sorry for all those people who got the game on switch with the hope on 2K.

And these are from their first 5 years of taking up the franchise and how much worse we have to see in the future.

I think there is a reason why 2K19 isnt on Switch. Please stop fearmongering.

The only features that you claim were removed were never in the 2K games to begin with, and even then there are very good reasons for them not adding them to the series. Create a finisher? Looked clunky and was very easy to create glitch moves online, resulting in cheap victories. GM Mode? The AI was horribly biased, plus TEW does a far, far better job at the fantasy booker than GM mode ever did and is little over half the price. ($34.95 for TEW compared to $60 for the standard edition of 2K19) The many match types like Inferno and Casket? They were very awkward to play, plus they are very rarely used on WWE TV anyway. When was the last time we saw in inferno match, 2006? As for create a story mode I can see that being a real good way to burn through all your logos.

And you say the 2K games are glitchfests but I remember THQ games being just as bad if not worse in that regard. Who can forget COMMENTARY PLACEHOLDER in WWE 12 or the one count glitch in 13?

Cant wait when you same people jump in joy when they announce CAF or Create a story, this year or next year.

And coming to match types inferno, I quit, mixed tag team, triple threat tag team, spl referee, gauntlet etc were on last gen. But 2K are just lazy to give us variety of match types which rarely happened in THQ era. Atleast THQ attempted to give us different match types.

Coming to glitches both companies are on same level with it, but for 2K18 2K totally lost it with that horrendous Nintendo port.

Gameplay - 2K

roster - 2K

Matchtypes - THQ

game modes - THQ

fixing glitches - both are worse

Creation - tie

Ratings and universal appeal - THQ blows 2K out of the park which shows what games are popular

Cant wait when you same people jump in joy when they announce CAF or Create a story, this year or next year.

And coming to match types inferno, I quit, mixed tag team, triple threat tag team, spl referee, gauntlet etc were on last gen. But 2K are just lazy to give us variety of match types which rarely happened in THQ era. Atleast THQ attempted to give us different match types.

Coming to glitches both companies are on same level with it, but for 2K18 2K totally lost it with that horrendous Nintendo port.

Gameplay - 2K

roster - 2K

Matchtypes - THQ

game modes - THQ

Creation - tie

Ratings and universal appeal - THQ blows 2K out of the park which shows what games are popular

If it happens cool, if not oh well. Plus I will not be jumping in joy unless they fixed all the major issues those modes had.

And the vast majority of those matches were clunky, glitchfests, or rarely done on WWE TV. If you did a triple threat tornado tag between E&C, The Hardz and Dudleyz, Bubba would happily stand there doing nothing while Edge pinned Matt Hardy. Inferno was just a glorified battle royal, I quit is impossible to do properly in a video game, comsidering you need to get voiceovers from literally everyone on roster, even those who are deceased.

And there is a reason for no 2K19 on Switch. You give credit to THQ for trying various match types even if they had issues, why cant you give 2K credit for trying the Switch edition?

What rating and universal appeal you going off? Ill gladly see if SVR 2011 goes up against anything in the 2K series.

100% agreed on all of this... and yeah, that "greed train" (haha) is what's really slowing the series' progress.

Gameplay - 2K

roster - 2K

Matchtypes - THQ

game modes - THQ

Creation - tie

If it happens cool, if not oh well. Plus I will not be jumping in joy unless they fixed all the major issues those modes had.

And the vast majority of those matches were clunky, glitchfests, or rarely done on WWE TV. If you did a triple threat tornado tag between E&C, The Hardz and Dudleyz, Bubba would happily stand there doing nothing while Edge pinned Matt Hardy. Inferno was just a glorified battle royal, I quit is impossible to do properly in a video game, comsidering you need to get voiceovers from literally everyone on roster, even those who are deceased.

And there is a reason for no 2K19 on Switch. You give credit to THQ for trying various match types even if they had issues, why cant you give 2K credit for trying the Switch edition?

What rating and universal appeal you going off? Ill gladly see if SVR 2011 goes up against anything in the 2K series.

For trying switch version which is rated worst ever game? Atleast those match types were not that worse and they give us customers to have gimmick matches once in a while.

Coming to ratings:

I will leave it here or you can check it for yourself the reviews from top sites and what majority users say.

https://www.thetoptens.com/best-wwe-games/

As you have specifically said SVR 2011 here are IGN reviews of 2011 and 2K18 and metacritic reviews

http://m.ign.com/articles/2010/10/21/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2011-review-3

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/10/17/wwe-2k18-review

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2011

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/wwe-2k18

What does it all prove? Still point towards customers? Are the reviews and customers biased? Or does it prove 2K is not on the level of THQ yet?

Your opinion or my opinion doesnt matter, majority user opinion and ratings matter along with sales. But 2K sales every year declining and every year reviews and majority opinion is getting worse and end customers are frustrated.

Moreover if we compare the first 5 years of THQ and 2K franchise, not even one thing 2K can be over THQ. Those were gold games in short time frame. Later years THQ sucked maybe due to budget issues or laziness.

Even marketing wise THQ will blow 2K out of the park but it is subjected to other discussion.

before THQ....we had pretty crappy wrestling games made by American videogame companies.

they at least had the forsight to steal some good japanese wrestling games slap an American skin on it...and repurpose them for WCW & WWF fans.

Oh what you didn't like the button mashing to perform a simple hip toss

"Even marketing wise THQ will blow 2K out of the park but it is subjected to other discussion."

Nah, the marketing is just as good as it was with THQ if not better. The Suplex City ad for 2K17 was super memorable and is something WWE should actually expand upon via film or spinoff game. And I can't remember THQ ever giving us gameplay trailers as good as we've had the last few years.

Both companies did stuff right, both did things wrong.

As I said before 2K has a solid foundation, but the two main game modes need to be re-thought and an alternative added to mix that doesn't require you to do most of the work setting shit up for so little in the way of reward. It's a terrible overall package that does little in the way of pulling in casuals and expanding its audience.

I mean the mere fact they have a free play tutorial buried in the create-a-moveset menu when so many people complain that the controls are now too advanced...which they're not, as a lot of the tacked on stuff is completely optional...but they wouldn't know that as there's nothing to ease them into the controls or the various mini-games.

This is what worries the shit out of me as far as a possible All Stars 2 is concerned. I bet anything it'll be something dumbed down like Mayhem...which swings the pendulum back towards being negative about THQ and them stupidly simplifiying the controls for Legends of Wrestlemainia which would've been one of the most beloved wrestling titles otherwise. I really think the top menu free play practice mode they had for a couple games was direct result of the LoWM debacle.

I really hope they don't bare bone the series again like in 2K15. I think they could keep the current model up for a few more years where we see some new game mechanics every year. Hopefully they keep everything and just invest more into the series so we get better/bigger updates every year. Even more new moves, multiple new game mechanics etc. The game could probably be promoted better and I'd assume that's what some of this revolves around too.

Maybe they'll also be adding an alternate series in the same vein as All Stars so the "Arcade" crowd can be happy (I loved All Stars but it honestly doesn't compare to the main series at all. I suppose it's Apples and Oranges though as one is a Simulation series, the other is supposed to be a silly arcade video game so you really can't compare them like that.)

I loved 2K16, 2K17, and 2K18 (They are in my Top 5 Wrestling Games list along with Fire Pro Returns and World). They need to keep up the roll they are on. The Gameplay and Creation Suite are by far better than ever. MyCareer mode is always terrible and Season Mode would be better but a mode that ends after a few hours of gameplay isn't going to be something that will dramatically change the lifespan of the game to people who only play for those kind of Single Player Goal modes. They should always have more focus on the General Gameplay and the Creation Suite as those are the things that keep people playing all year round.

The glitches in the current games can be quite annoying at release but they usually iron everything out in the end. People complain about all these glitches but the only bugs I've encountered since February were the "titles not going under jackets" bug and improper casting in a Universe Cutscene once or twice and that's it. In 2K17, I don't think I seen any major bug after the last patch.

As it pertains to GM Mode and Create-A-Finisher here's my thoughts on those modes. GM Mode was all filler and came down to winning Interpromotinal matches or having more 5 Star matches. For that I don't think it ever has to come back; It was never this advanced mode that people act like it was and I don't think it could really be implemented any better than it was. Create A Finisher mode was the worst as it had parts to create moves that should already be in the game. Why wish for a mode to make a crappy buggy version of the Package Piledriver or Angel's Wings when you can just wish they were there anyway? I think that's why it's never been brought back.

I think the biggest wants I have for the series are: More ways to influence how the A.I acts, Reversal Styles (like Fire Pro and DOR), Story Creator, and more attire slots for CAWs and/or Slots in general. If this somehow leads to features like that, I'm pumped.

Archived