Yakuza Series Thread

TrulyEvil

I noticed there wasn't a thread for Yakuza, which is weird since I've seen the series mentioned a fair bit here on the forum. Anyway, there's not better time to start one than right now with Yakuza 6 having been released this year in the West and with Yakuza Kiwami 2 coming out in August.

The demo for Kiwami 2 is out now, has anyone here played it yet? If so, what do you think of it?

Longtime fan of the series here... Yakuza Kiwami 2 is launching next month, you say??

Damn, I need to get cracking on the (3) Yakuza games I bought on the cheap a few months back.

- Yakuza 0

- Yakuza Kiwami

- Yakuza 6

• 2 weeks later...

Been a fan ever since getting the first game back in 2006 and loved it ever since. Finally got round to playing 0 and 6 this summer. 0 is possibly the best game in the entire series. 6 is great but the combat felt more basic than the previous games due to the new engine (although seamlessly walking into interiors blew my *censored*ing mind). I also expected a bit more from the story but it was still really good nonetheless, and finishing a 12 year journey (which is literally half my *censored*ing life) was always gonna be emotional :lol:

I plan on playing them all through from the first game on PS2 now. I think I'm gonna import Ishin and maybe Kenzan as well, although I got the Japanese version of 5 before it came out in the West and I ended up giving up cos the lack of English made the experience too difficult.

Yeah, I cannot tell you how fond my memories are of playing the first two Yakuza games for the first time. I played them at my cousin's first time round, aunt brought all these video-games that she was planning to send abroad to family and I fell in love with Yakuza to the point where I pursued the game on my own... then progressively got into the whole series, haha.

I haven't played 0 in a while, but I am so hooked on Goro Majima's story tbh. While I think Kazuma's story is good, Majima really is the character that is engaging me the most and I just find his fighting styles to be far more fun and addictive. I will probably buy 6 because I want to actually see how the game finishes everything off.

Plus it'd be nice to actually finish off the whole series, than leave it nearly done.

The side quests are pretty fun so far. Can't say I care too much about the combat though. I'm really annoyed by the random dudes keep jumping me in the street over and over

Yakuza 0

When they said for Majima to kill someone I thought for sure it was a prequel and Majima frames Kiryu lmao. That shit with the blind girl was hardcore and I'll be pissed off if he does kill her

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed the light on the PS4 controller changes colour based on your fighting style, that's really cool

Also just read Majima is never playable again... that's lame I like him better than Kiryu

Can't wait till you finish that game.

lol why?

I'm in the final chapter so I'll be done tomorrow

There's been some heartbreaking shit

Its so heart breaking. She knew it was him.

Yeah it seemed that way. My emotions were destroyed.

I was heartbroken on the game starting from

Tachibana's death

tbh

and I was gonna try for Yakuza Kiwami but I care about Majima, not Kiryu so I lost interest lol

The combat of 0 got stale around half way through but they have good storytelling

Also I don't think it ever mentions if Kiryu is actually cleared for that murder lmao. I mean, we know that ugly *censored* did it but that doesn't mean the cops found out

Although I am disapointed in a few ways

When Majima was sent to kill someone, I thought that would be the framing. It's also annoying the protags don't meet until the final cutscene and don't team up or anything like that. Should've had a few cross over missions and ended with them fighting and you choose who to side with. I was also certain for most of the game it was Nishki who framed him lol. The framer being some ugly dude was disappointing and felt like a waste. I also got sick of fighting Kuze

It's weird seeing this focus on Majima all of a sudden, cos that's only cropped up in recent years. I think he's always been popular (I started to notice it around when Dead Souls came out at least), but I'm not a fan of how it's being incorporated more and more into the game world itself (and the canon as a result). Take the Majima Everywhere thing in Kiwami (although I haven't played the game yet). There's no taking away from his role in 0 though, cos his side of the story and his fighting style were more interesting than Kiryu's. And in terms of the story, it makes sense cos they were never exactly close friends, so it wouldn't make sense if they shoehorned the two going on fun adventures together. It's nice to see a prequel staying faithful to the characterisation rather than giving into things for the sake of fan service (although the game has tons of that anyway). What you said about the two during the climax, that's fair enough, it would have been cool to see but with the way it did end, I don't think it was needed at all.

In terms of the gameplay, how much did you level up and develop your styles? I've found Yakuza is one of those which gives you what you put into it. Doing the side missions etc (e.g. the training for each of the six styles) doesn't just add to the experience, but can also make your fighting more varied and complex.

Also eat a bag of dicks for insulting Kiryu

I did around 80% of the side quests and had pretty much all the skills I could get in the main ones I used (I used Slugger for Majima and alternated between Beast/Brawler) but a lot of the same animations were reused for both of them (mainly the heat actions). I think maybe Beat Em Ups just aren't for me, I did keep question how one dude can beat up 9000 at once lmfao

Kiryu just wasn't very interesting in 0 ad I get that it's a prequel I guess, so can't go all out. Majima was just more interesting and I don't really wanna get more games knowing he's not playable in them. I'm only judging on Y0, it's fair to be offended I didn't like him much since he'll have 6 more games of development etc. I actually thought Kiryu's gameplay was more fun but his story was weak in 0

It must be really different experiences playing 0 as the first game rather than as a prequel like I'm doing. What I loved about 0's story was how much it bolstered the characterisation and what happened in the games and that came out before it, which I guess could account for why you didn't like Kiryu's story. Either way I'd say you're missing out if you don't play the other games, but that's just cos I want other people to play Yakuza :lol:

What I love about the fighting is how it evolves with each game, and also generally fits really well with the character. For example, Kiryu's fighting in 0 is less refined than in other games, which makes sense cos he's a lot younger, but you still see hints of how his style would be in the future if you've played enough of the series. Another thing that I find cool is if Kiryu 'forgets' a move he learned in a previous game (i.e. they want to re-add it to the newer games), a canon reason is given for him forgetting, rather than it just being another video game cliche.

Also, this *censored*ing track

It must be really different experiences playing 0 as the first game rather than as a prequel like I'm doing. What I loved about 0's story was how much it bolstered the characterisation and what happened in the games and that came out before it, which I guess could account for why you didn't like Kiryu's story. Either way I'd say you're missing out if you don't play the other games, but that's just cos I want other people to play Yakuza :lol:

What I love about the fighting is how it evolves with each game, and also generally fits really well with the character. For example, Kiryu's fighting in 0 is less refined than in other games, which makes sense cos he's a lot younger, but you still see hints of how his style would be in the future if you've played enough of the series. Another thing that I find cool is if Kiryu 'forgets' a move he learned in a previous game (i.e. they want to re-add it to the newer games), a canon reason is given for him forgetting, rather than it just being another video game cliche.

Also, this *censored*ing track

I heard it was fine to start at 0 and that it's actually recommended to do so but I do get how it would be unusual to start that way since I guess you're supposed to play the other 6 games first.

I probably will get Kiwami at some point but not yet, the gameplay is still stale to me right now.

and yeah, the soundtrack was decent, though I could've done with more battle themes.

Still though, Kiryu was just "oh no I've been framed!"

Whilst Majimas was about serious deep shit, with a cute girl. Oh no, a Yakuza did a murder, oh my!!!!!!!!!! I was given little reason to care about Kiryu and dont have much desire to do more with him. He was the most requested Teken 7 cross over character though, so I have no doubt he gets better.

Just why isn't Majima playable again!? what the shit Sega

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived