Basketball Thread

PaperThinWalls

We really die way too quick to get hung up about small stuff. It's over, just like that. Ay man, I don't even know what to properly say. I've experienced some painful, surreal deaths lately, but this takes the cake.

His daughter is dead too. Had the ambition to be the superstar in the WNBA and change that division. So much wasted potential, but even all that doesn't matter nearly as much as the fact that someone out there lost a spouse/parent and a child/sibling. I can't imagine the pain and I hope I never have to experience it.

Kobe Bryant was greatness. Everybody is talking about him. This shit is unfair.

Never trusted helicopters.

One of those shits took Stevie Ray Vaughan too.

This too, helicopters are *censored*ed.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're saying there are 9 victims now :(

This whole thing is tremendously heartbreaking

I've been watching the NBA since I was 7, so I've been exposed to Kobe Bryant from the time he was 18 years old to each of his countless on-court accomplishments, to his amazing retirement, to his even more amazing post-retirement ventures, to him congratulating LeBron James on surpassing his career mark just last night.

If you'd have told be a month ago that "Kobe Bryant would be trending in the news on Sunday, January 26th" my only thought would be that it's because of LeBron surpassing his mark.

You just don't expect 41 year-old "basketball dads" of his renown to die so suddenly, and so tragically.

Still, he accomplished a tremendous amount in his relatively brief life and those of us who are hardcore sports fanatics will never forget him. It's just so incredibly sad that (at least) two young kids will never get to make their mark on the world, including his 2nd daughter who was on her way to following in her dad's footsteps.

Being reminded of our own mortality through incidents such as this is harsh

Man, first David Stern, and now Kobe. You can work decades being the best, building your empire, and just like that - it's over. We spend much of our lives working and preparing for the future and a 'someday' that sadly isn't always guaranteed. Live and love like nothing beyond this very moment is a given. Kobe will be dearly missed.

The official Lakers website on NBA.com doesn't even mention Kobe's passing yet the Celtics one does. Seriously?

They probably have a lot to do with it, from making it look beautiful to a long tribute.

Still, a mere mention until they do that would have been appropriate. The Celtics, Bulls, Kings, and Knicks websites all have a tribute to him. Really weird. Still cannot believe this happened, my favorite athlete of all time. I'm done with sports to be honest, I finished watching when Kobe retired.

I actually was going thinking about this for some reason a few weeks ago how much Kobe meant to this city and what would happen if he left us too soon. Never thought it would actually happen. Always thought hed outlive other greats like Magic, Bird, or MJ.

tbh I thought he'd outlive even us kids/teens that grew up watching him.

Mamba mentality. I totally fell today and busted my knee on the cement floor in my garage doing elevated pushups, but I got up, brushed it off, and went at it again.

And yeah, Clips Lakers postponed. Two LA teams it's fitting that they both take the night off. Though I think it would have been fitting for the two LA teams to play as a tribute to him. It would have been similar to when Eddie Guerrero died and then Smackdown dedicated the entire show to him.

You know a former co-worker of mine was a giant Kobe fan, he even showed up to work in a Kobe jersey the day after Kobe played his last game. He always posts stuff on Instagram as it relates to sports event's in and around LA but he's been absolutely silent about this whole thing. Wouldn't surprise me if he's fallen ill because of it.

Not sure if it's true but I've been seeing all these posts on Instagram about Kobe's last game and how they all kinda relate to his death. One of them points out that in his last game he exited the game with 4.1 seconds left, also the total points the Lakers scored minus his total or 1010-60=41, and of course he died at 41. There was also another one in the game involving the 76ers, his hometown team, in the first game they played after he died the ball got stuck at the rim at 41 seconds in, plus the total number of the two players under the basket was 41, and stuff like that. Maybe it was photo-shopped but it retrospect it all seems eerie.

Archived