Randy Orton's Tattoo Artist Sues WWE & 2K Games

classiq.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would see it like that tats are advertisement for the artist IDK why she's tripin. If you didn't want you're design out there you should tattoo one of the biggest wrestlers in the WWE.

She wants money for the use of it, not for it being out there. She just wants royalties. But yeah I really dont know how much of a case she has here but then again its hard to say. I guess it might be the same as like if I bought a Deadpool dvd and then burned the movie onto a different disc and then sold the burned disc. So Randys tattoo is the Deadpool movie, his likeness is the blank disc, and the WWE games is Deadpool burned onto that blank disc.

Might be a bad comparison but you get it *Censored* you

Tattoo artist shouldnt have a say dont matter if they did the damn tattoos or not, Its on the Customers body not there own.. its so stupid

Unless they designed it

With the amount of advertising she probably gets due to Orton should be enough. But she probably won't win and WWE will remove them in future games that way no one will win.

that's what im afraid of. so WWE should just pay the dumb broad.

More on the lawsuit from pwinsider.com

"As previously noted on PWInsider.com, tattoo artist Catherine Alexander filed a lawsuit against World Wrestling Entertainment and WWE's videogame licensee 2K on 4/17 in the United States District Court of Southern District of Illinois, alleging that they are infringing on her copyright for tattoo designs that she has imprinted on Randy Orton, having been his tattoo artist since 2003.

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc., 2K Games, Inc., 2K Sports, Inc., Visual Concepts Entertainment, Yukes Co., Ltd. and Yukes LA Inc. have also been named defendants in the lawsuit.

Anderson is claiming that all of her tattoo work on Orton are her original designs and that she has never given any of the defendants permission to recreate them in the WWE videogames. Anderson stated that she performed the tattoo work on Orton between 2003 and 2008 and that "are easily recognized by his fans and members of the public." She also noted that, in advance of the lawsuit obviously, she "submitted applications to register copyrights on each of the aforementioned works on March 15, 2018."

In the lawsuit, Alexander claims that she contacted WWE regarding material featuring Orton's tattoos being sold by the company in 2009 and they offered her a $450 fee for the rights to the designs, which she turned down and at the time, "told WWE that Plaintiff did not grant any permission to WWE to copy, duplicate or otherwise use or reproduce any of Plaintiffs designs."

Alexander is claiming that by recreating the tattoos in the WWE videogames, the rights to her designs are being infringed upon.

In regard to the obvious question, which is whether Randy Orton had rights to the designs and gave WWE permission, Anderson alleges in the lawsuit that "Mr. Orton does not have ownership in the copyrights asserted herein and has no authority to and did not grant permission for Defendants to commit the acts complained of in this Complaint." Orton is not named as a defendant in the lawsuit.

Anderson has requested a jury trial and is seeking the court to rule that the tattoos are her copyrighted works and that the defendants infringed against her, and obviously, wants the court to rule that she is owed damages.

None of the defendants have responded to the lawsuit as of this writing."

The article say's she wanted to sue back in 09 so should she sue the owner's of THQ and not 2K ?

It would be senseless to go after THQ because there is no more THQ meaning she would get nothing.

I'm pretty sure the CEO of THQ didn't vanished with the company. He/she is still around.

The article say's she wanted to sue back in 09 so should she sue the owner's of THQ and not 2K ?

It would be senseless to go after THQ because there is no more THQ meaning she would get nothing.

I'm pretty sure the CEO of THQ didn't vanished with the company. He/she is still around.

The majority of the trouble makers in THQ are gone, however. Ledesma is gone, Sitterson is definitely gone,and Bryan Williams as far as I know isn't taking as much of a leading roll compared to previously.

THQs big problem was that they were okay with stagnation, and their advertising was blatantly lying at times, they hurt themselves badly by doing that... and by hiring a community manager who instead of... well, managing the community, instead insulted the fanbase and claimed they were the problems with the game.

With the amount of advertising she probably gets due to Orton should be enough. But she probably won't win and WWE will remove them in future games that way no one will win.

that's what im afraid of. so WWE should just pay the dumb broad.

All it takes is for one person to pull this off and win. Exactly how many superstars are tatted? Exactly how many artists are responsible overall for all of those tats? That's how many people could potentially get paid

Ive never understood why people do this. This is the reason (or at least the one given) that players dont have tattoos in the Madden franchise, I hope to god that the same thing doesnt happen here because someone is desperate for money.

I think wwe would not go with the direction of removing tattoos of wrestlers who were known from it. Unlike Jericho in 2k15 he was was not purely identified with his tats so it's not a big loss if he does not have it. Also most of his tattoos have copyright claims like cm punk's pepsi and cobra tats.

But for orton he is known and marketed with those tattoos. Removing those will truly create a backlash. It's like Goldberg not having the signature tattoos or Undertaker no having the full sleeves.

I just hate tattoo artist doing this. So selfish.

it was reasons like this that made Eric, my sister's fiancee leave tattooing and he quoted "it's bull shit like this that made me quit, and I will not get back into it unless I own my own shop." as he told me most tattoo artists are drama queens and you can be accused of all sorts of shit, like trying to steal people's techniques, (I.E. the way they sit, or hold their tattoo gun..) ect.

I talked to my sister's fiancee who among other things was a tattoo artist who met randy, as they are from the same hometown and he said the tattoo artist cant do that, as they might have been her designs but randy payed for them when he forked over the $ for them.

They can. Tysons tattoo artist successfully sued because they didnt have permission to use his face tattoo design in the hangover 3. Artist got a lot of money too because wouldve cost them more to digitally remove the tat from each scene.

I think wwe would not go with the direction of removing tattoos of wrestlers who were known from it. Unlike Jericho in 2k15 he was was not purely identified with his tats so it's not a big loss if he does not have it. Also most of his tattoos have copyright claims like cm punk's pepsi and cobra tats.

But for orton he is known and marketed with those tattoos. Removing those will truly create a backlash. It's like Goldberg not having the signature tattoos or Undertaker no having the full sleeves.

I just hate tattoo artist doing this. So selfish.

Same, I'm mean, what's the point suing? Shouldn't you be happy your artwork is being shown off? Alot of those tattoo artists are annoying in my book then. :fedup:

Archived