Football Thread

Lunchbox

seems odd that 5th/6th have the first leg at home, usually 3rd/4th have the first tie at home and isnt that the point of finishing higher in the play offs, home advantage. even last year 3rd and 4th were home first and looking its pretty much almost always the case other than like one time and this season. i dont get why weve been given a home tie first in the play offs regardless of if were 5th or 6th. odd. that gives 3rd/4th the disadvantage this year for...some reason like i guess i cant complain given the fact we have the advantage for some reason but if we were in 3rd or 4th id be super annoyed

Edited by Muur

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Oufcad32 said:

Hmm that's strange, although in 19/20 covid season.  We finished 3rd ppg and played away first then the second leg was at our place 

i guess its more common that i thought, or maybe it alternates every season or something. or it's just always 3rd/4th play away and have a disadvantage for some reason. no wonder 5th/6th win the play offs more often than 3rd/4th. like if we win the first leg at home by a few goals, lets say 3-0, thatd make it hard for the other team to catch up on the 3 goals. playing away first is much harder especially without the away goals rule. if it's always the case, you're better off coming 5th/6th than 3rd/4th

Edited by Muur

On 4/29/2023 at 6:02 PM, Muur said:

now to see you next season in the champs dje...provided we win the play offs of course

Hey, Albion could still reach the playoffs themselves, although they need to win at Swansea next Monday and for two other results to go their way.

Also, you're wrong about the playoffs, it's always 6th vs 3rd & 5th vs 4th in the first legs of the semi-finals, then 3rd vs 6th & 4th vs 5th in the second legs, giving the teams that finished 3rd & 4th the advantage of playing at home in the second legs.

I knew the 3/6 4/5 thing, i just dont see how being home second is an advantage.

also, its wikipedia's fault as they format the play offs pages for every season as 3/6 4/5 and show the 3rd placed team at home in all their articles for every season except this current one

Edited by Muur

I knew it must have been a long time since they last played each other, given that Reading have been in the Championship/Premier League since 2002, and Oxford have been in League One or lower throughout that time.

Who do you see as Oxford's main rivals? I've always thought it was Reading, but I read somewhere recently that most Oxford fans see Swindon as the main rivalry.

Main rival is and will be Swindon, Reading are next. When we was owned by Robert Maxwell in the 80s he wanted to merge us and Reading and call us Thames Valley Royals! Both sets of fans were opposed obviously.  

We would have played at Didcot which is south Oxfordshire but it's the main town between the two places 

I know about it because of a book called My Favourite Year. The book is about thirty years old now, but it's a collection of football writing from various authors, giving accounts of their favourite season following their respective clubs, and one of them is about an Oxford season under Maxwell and the money troubles that they had at the time.

On 5/4/2023 at 9:58 PM, dje_wba said:

If you don't see how being at home in the second leg, when the tie could potentially go to extra time and penalties, then I don't know what to tell you.

I overlooked the part about extra time

won on teh last day, just about, having rested almost every player. of course one of the players who werent rested gets injured

so barnsley in the play offs it is. theyre the form team, so thats an oof

52 minutes ago, Oufcad32 said:

We lost to accrington! Dire game but summed up our season. Manager has a major overhaul to do

at least you didnt cause them to stay up

5 hours ago, Oufcad32 said:

Oh yeah aren't they localish to you? 

bolton fans didnt care about them until they beat us a few weeks ago in which they time wasted from the first minute for a 0-0 and then when they scored a former bolton player who did so crotch chopped the crowd and another former bolton gk in net literally ran the entire length of the pitch to knee slide in front of us and then they all ran together to do a massive hug as they sang we are staying up... was kinda odd since they were still 3 points behind at the time with 2 games to go. they celebrated like they had won a cup final

also the amount of fouls they shouldve had at least 2 red cards. and even their manager talking shit after the win. they really acted like it was the biggest win in their entire history. after such a shit game them going down feels great. mostly cuz of the two former bolton players being asshats though

Edited by Muur

so a 1-1 at home for the first leg, teams mostly cancelled each other out so the away leg will probably be about the same

peterborough winning their first leg at home 4-0 is why i feel like being at home first is good cuz now the second leg doesn't mean much and surely they won bottle it

On 5/13/2023 at 9:17 PM, Oufcad32 said:

Honestly didn't see Wednesday getting battered like that! 

Do you think you'll make it up? 

it's in anyone's hands 

we actually already beat them at their ground in january and we beat peterbrough 5-0 at their ground earlier this year as well...so right now you could argue were the favourites having beat them both away scoring eight goals (we beat barnsley 3-0 at oakwell) but like as i said, the match is 1-1 after the first leg and its away...we already beat them there but its still anyone's game.

based on whats happened this season thus far id say we are now the faves as we have winning records over both barnsley and peterborough this year. we were shit against sheff wed so i dont think we wouldve stood a chance against them so if we do make it to the final i fancy our chances against a team we already beat 5-0 more than the team we couldn't beat in both times we played them

Edited by Muur

On 5/13/2023 at 5:00 PM, Muur said:

peterborough winning their first leg at home 4-0 is why i feel like being at home first is good cuz now the second leg doesn't mean much and surely they won bottle it

So much for the second leg not meaning much, that Hillsborough crowd certainly gave Wednesday an advantage last night. South Yorkshire derby incoming in the final. 😜

I renewed my season ticket at lunchtime, after not having this past season for the first time in over two decades, even managed to get my old seat.

Well, rip Bolton. Top 6 and Pizza Trophy is still a good season, so we just need to improve on that next year and get automatics. Last thing we need is to be stuck in mid table medicorcity. Best players are loan players so that could be an off too. Progress made overall

4 hours ago, dje_wba said:

So much for the second leg not meaning much, that Hillsborough crowd certainly gave Wednesday an advantage last night. South Yorkshire derby incoming in the final. 😜

I renewed my season ticket at lunchtime, after not having this past season for the first time in over two decades, even managed to get my old seat.

tbf its the first time in 150 years a team has come back from such a scoreline in the play offs. at no point were seff wed actually winning