Football Thread

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No chance the season finishes at this rate. 

Cancel it and start again next season relegating no one. (With us still in league one and on 0 points not -12). Also no titles awarded and no one promoted. 

Edited by Muur

So what some of the leagues apparnelty would do is promote the teams in the promotion slots but relegate no one. I hope they do that here...

While that would obviously benefit my club, I'm not sure I could see that happening, mainly because it would leave the Premier League with 22 teams, which would mean teams having to play 42 matches next season, rather than 38 matches, and so many managers in the Premier League already moan about having to play too many matches as it is.

theyd be open for suing for relegating teams that can still stay up. Tranmere have a game in hand and are only 3 points behind Wimbledon, they'd sue so hard. (shitter GD sure, but theyre also on three wins in a row at the moment)

as for congestion... the big boys only care when they have to play against teams like Shrewsbury. If they had to play against Real Madrid and Barca they'd be fine with it. 

like, if the UCL doubled the group stage to 12 matches... none of the top 4 would cry. if they made a League Cup and/or FA Cup group stage for the first round the PL show up in, they'd kick off and cry. 

I said on Reddit "if they care so much about congestion, remove the UCL stage" and I got downvoted into oblivion lol

Edited by Muur

4 hours ago, Muur said:

theyd be open for suing for relegating teams that can still stay up. Tranmere have a game in hand and are only 3 points behind Wimbledon, they'd sue so hard. (shitter GD sure, but theyre also on three wins in a row at the moment)

as for congestion... the big boys only care when they have to play against teams like Shrewsbury. If they had to play against Real Madrid and Barca they'd be fine with it. 

like, if the UCL doubled the group stage to 12 matches... none of the top 4 would cry. if they made a League Cup and/or FA Cup group stage for the first round the PL show up in, they'd kick off and cry. 

I said on Reddit "if they care so much about congestion, remove the UCL stage" and I got downvoted into oblivion lol

No I agree that what I said isn't fair,  I can't see why people want it null and voided though? Not this far into the season.  

man... football is definitely not my primary concern, but all this sucks bad for someone as me, who as Liverpool fan used their games and their fantastic season as a coping mechanism. 

I've been reading how, if the PL gets canceled completely, and Liverpool gets the title... supposedly the clubs wouldn't be against it, because there is almost no realistic chance anyone would catch up... But then again, not hearing the Anfield roar and not getting the celebration would be really, really weird... 

Idealy, the season continues after this shit passes, and we win the leaugue and beat the virus. Can't remember anyone doing that! But doubt that's happening at this point.

2 hours ago, AONO. said:

man... football is definitely not my primary concern, but all this sucks bad for someone as me, who as Liverpool fan used their games and their fantastic season as a coping mechanism. 

I've been reading how, if the PL gets canceled completely, and Liverpool gets the title... supposedly the clubs wouldn't be against it, because there is almost no realistic chance anyone would catch up... But then again, not hearing the Anfield roar and not getting the celebration would be really, really weird... 

Idealy, the season continues after this shit passes, and we win the leaugue and beat the virus. Can't remember anyone doing that! But doubt that's happening at this point.

It's almost a guarantee at this point that the season wouldn't resume. I believe the date they've given for resuming is actually the date on which they'll reassess as to what needs to be done, because the 14-day quarantine period for any affected player/manager is a must and if it clashes with said date, you'll have all the other members of the club in self-isolation too during that time. It just isn't going to happen, especially when you also consider that the virus is expected to peak in April. 

1 hour ago, Twisted... said:

We still have games against West Brom and Leeds to play, which could be crucial on whether we would go up or not, so I'm all for the top 3 getting promoted :hqhq:

😂😂 we're 3rd in League One so that's why I'd like top 3! 

3 hours ago, Oufcad32 said:

😂😂 we're 3rd in League One so that's why I'd like top 3! 

Still wouldn't get to play each other, haha. I don't actually know what our record against Oxford is like...

*checks*

https://www.11v11.com/teams/fulham/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Oxford United/

OK. I'm glad we wouldn't be playing, because you have the better win record against us, paha.

42 minutes ago, Twisted... said:

Still wouldn't get to play each other, haha. I don't actually know what our record against Oxford is like...

*checks*

https://www.11v11.com/teams/fulham/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Oxford United/

OK. I'm glad we wouldn't be playing, because you have the better win record against us, paha.

The other thing of note from that is that we haven't played each other in a league game since 1989! 

13 hours ago, dje_wba said:

Apparently your suggestion, Muur, might not be that far wide of the mark after all: https://talksport.com/football/682510/liverpool-premier-league-title-leeds-west-brom-promotion-premier-league-coronavirus/

technically it wasn't a "suggestion" but was just me saying to do what italy and germany said theyre gonna do

cancel this shit. keep us in league one. starting on -12 and having only 2 players to start with, meaning we lost the opening 10 with he U18 was unfair. wed get a real shot at league one with this. hell i feel like wed be able to get play offs if they keep us in league one next season

doing it for champs/L1/L2 would be 26 teams in each. it even works with burys *Censored* up as league two has three automatic promotion spots that takes us to 26. league two/conference would need to sort out the missing team for league two tho. I suppose no one going down and and promoting 1 from the national league makes it 24 teams... but maybe they need to just take three from the NL so they match on 26 (but normally only two go up from the NL, goddamn it bury)

ps @Twisted... and @Oufcad32 your teams wouldn't go up in this situation because youre both 3rd. you will stay in your league to allow bolton to live. thanks for your sacrifice. with the exception of bury's *Censored* up, you need even teams in a league, so its either top 2 or top 4. they aint gonna promote 4 teams

oh god what if they relegate us anyway cuz of how many point we're behind lol

Edited by Muur