Football Thread

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the ref calling the ball over the line England cheating? that's just luck and Germany got karma in 2010 when ours WAS over the line and it wasn't called

If only that was the only cheating you did in the '66 World Cup... Shady refereeing from the get go, most notably vs Argentina (thankfully Maradona would avenge that for them), last minute changing of stadiums from Liverpool to Wembley vs Portugal against regulations and without Portugal's consent. That shit would never fly today. You're a disgrace and always will be. I'm happy that the England national team is 'coming home'!

Didn't they also kick the shit outta Pele too? Hence why Brazil didn't do a 3-peat, yet came back in 1970 with a vengeance?

I was shocked to find out England has never even played in a Euro cup final. I mean you have the worlds most popular domestic league so youd think it would translate to international success.

Pretty sure Muur was just complaining about something along those lines. I don't understand why England didn't have confidence? They had a easy group and a talented, but a bit young squad.

Bolton fans during every match: "and it's Bolton Wanderers, Bolton Wanderers FC, we're by far the greatest team, the world has ever see"

Americans: "OMG, Bolton are arrogant as *Censored*, they think they're the best team ever"

I was shocked to find out England has never even played in a Euro cup final. I mean you have the worlds most popular domestic league so youd think it would translate to international success.

Still only one of the few teams in the world to have won the world cup tbf

Said league is full of foreign talent though. We cant homegrow a team if we tried.

Every International England do are with 23 home grown players tho

Except those teams with Hargreaves

Bolton fans during every match: "and it's Bolton Wanderers, Bolton Wanderers FC, we're by far the greatest team, the world has ever see"

Americans: "OMG, Bolton are arrogant as *Censored*, they think they're the best team ever"

Still only one of the few teams in the world to have won the world cup tbf

Said league is full of foreign talent though. We cant homegrow a team if we tried.

Every International England do are with 23 home grown players tho

Except those teams with Hargreaves

And how many of those players are actually decent? It is so much easier for our top clubs to get a proven foreign player than tale a chance on a young homegrown talemt amd it shows with our international team.

Well let's compare Spain who everyone jizzes over and say their league is the best one

World Cup 2014
Spain: Group Stage (First eliminated)
England: Group Stage

Euro 2016
Spain: Last 16
England: Last 16

World Cup 2018
Spain: Last 16
England Semi Final

Last three times they played each other: 1 England win, 1 Spain win, 1 draw.

Hmmmmmmmm, for the countries with the two best leagues, they aint doing so hot, are they?

Spain according to Google, Spain have the highest % of same country players in their leagues and yet... they have done shitter than England in the last 5 years? so how would having more English players help? this shows that England's current amount have them as a better team (or equal if you wanna moan about England's 2018 World Cup)

Now lets throw in Italy

2010 and 2014 World Cup
Group Stage

Euro 2016
QF

World Cup 2018
Didn't even qualify

Last 5 games: 2 England wins, 2 Italy wins, 1 draw

Holland

Euro 2016 and World Cup 2018
Didn't qualify.

The only teams that have been consistently better than England are Germany and maybe Brazil (but it's hard to compare when there's only 2-3 good teams in SA)

Edited by Muur

Pretty sure Muur was just complaining about something along those lines. I don't understand why England didn't have confidence? They had a easy group and a talented, but a bit young squad.

England are underachievers by nature to the point that any embarrassing result or elimination when the tournament starts to get serious is expected. Such results include getting knocked out by Iceland in the Euro 2016, not making it past the group stage in the 2014 World Cup. There was some mild expectations that the team could perform well and go far because there seems to be a real team spirit + a core group of young, hard-working promising players, but the underachieving-element means people still are wary of making any ambitious predictions before any tournament.

They can though. England dominates at youth tournaments and there is an exciting generation of players coming up who are extremely promising. At the moment, they are very young, most of them still being teenagers. A problem is more so that they don't seem to have much perspective at regular playing time for their clubs, as being the world's best and most lucrative league means plenty of teams spend a lot of money to get foreign talent. Burnley is a major exception. Tottenham and Liverpool too, on a lesser scale.

In the past, it was because the English talent in general wasn't good enough to carry clubs who competed for the Champions League and in most teams, the way English talent got brought up, meant they were basically water carriers for the team they played and the players with real quality, the playmakers, the skilled dribblers, the goalscorers, you'd have to go abroad for that, because all the English lads could do, was to work hard in service of players like that.

With changes in the England youth set-up and the next generation that's coming up, that could change, but teams would need to show courage and give players a chance. But nobody wants to play a bunch of teenagers when the stakes are that high, especially at the top, where 6 teams could get CL-football. It's why Loftus-Cheek got shipped to Crystal Palace for example, while Chelsea would rather spent 30m on Drinkwater, Bakayoko and Barkley than to give an unexperienced youngster a chance. In hindsight, that was a mistake and a waste of money. We've also seen this at Everton (Lookman) and West Ham (Oxford) and Arsenal (Maitland-Niles, Holding, Nketiah)

It also means that young English players tend to go abroad themselves for playing time and development, mostly to the Bundesliga. Some on a loan deal, but some have also left big clubs permanently for playing time. Early examples are Reece Oxford (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Chris Willock (Benfica), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Ademola Lookman (Red Bull Leipzig), Marcus McGuane (FC Barcelona) and Kaylen Hinds (VfL Wolfsburg). Lookman rejected clubs like Derby County for Leipzig, because it was a better environment for him and because he suspected an English club would not know how to develop young talent.

England could have a golden generation coming up, if they know how to guide them. They've made steps, but it's also possible you could see an England-side that's excellent, filled with players who don't play in England.

Ugh. Pogba. Why did you dab, you tool? >__<

Still, congratulations to France for winning their second World Cup. And congrats to Deschamps (1998 and 2018), the second man since Beckenbauer to win the World Cup as an active player, captain (1974) and coach (1990).

Ironically enough, both guys won the World Cup at home as active players.

Edited by lightning116

Shame France will be knocked out in the 2022 group stage

By an Asian team. Mark this down folks.

North Korea.

The winner of tomorrows game will be the one that scores more. Take that to the bank.

Just so no one forgets I called it. I should take a screenshot.

You were wrong actually. Both teams scored 3 goals.

So we've signed a player that got Cardiff up last season and was bought for 7 mil, neat (on loan). Also former Wigan, so Wigan fans are crying. Also neat

So we've signed a player that got Cardiff up last season and was bought for 7 mil, neat (on loan). Also former Wigan, so Wigan fans are crying. Also neat

Who's That?

We lost 3-1 to Palace yesterday, they had Zaha, Townsend and quite a few other first teamers playing

Who's That?

Yanic Wildschut. Looks like he was Wigan's best player for a while and Norwich bought him for 7 mill a year ago and last season he was on loan at Cardiff and helped get them promoted and now we have him. Neat, a good player and suicidal Wigan fans.

United's preseason is so depressing. 0-0 with the SJ Earthquakes. Still we're missing half a squad, but with the two players we've brought in, it still feels a bit "meh". We're no where near ready for the season in my book.

United's preseason is so depressing. 0-0 with the SJ Earthquakes. Still we're missing half a squad, but with the two players we've brought in, it still feels a bit "meh". We're no where near ready for the season in my book.

youll be all good, most of your teams pre season was at the world cup and it's not like a few weeks apart will make them forget how to play with each other