Football Thread

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah sure, showing support once in the last 4 and most of them are just bandwagoing glory hunters. before the last 4, all are just other fans

for example - Jiggy is Dutch and Masked is Mexican and they both posted "It's coming home" in this thread.

check out pretty much every match thread on reddit and like IS aid, it's france, spain, germany etc spamming the shit out of that meme

and I was actually pissed off at our semi final ITV coverage. they kept getting celebs on to say it and it clearly was going to bite us in the ass

Yeah, *Censored* England fans for having faith in their team, right? How DARE they want to win.

we should all be like ryder fan and demand we lose because he wants to be miserable

Were England, were supposed to be shit. Thats all there is to it.

This edgy, cynical, self deprecation schtick isn't as funny or cool as you think it is mate.

Yeah, *Censored* England fans for having faith in their team, right? How DARE they want to win.

we should all be like ryder fan and demand we lose because he wants to be miserable

This edgy, cynical, self deprecation schtick isn't as funny or cool as you think it is mate.

Nothing wrong with being a realist and admitting we arent as great as everyone thinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ_vVRhoojg

Accurate.

Well, something's coming home.

*snickers*

Well? France and Croatia. Easy 2nd star for France, you wager? I doubt it.

I think France are better than Croatia in any case, but they will also be much fresher having made easier work of their Semi Final. Plus Mbappe is damn near unplayable at the moment.

Nothing wrong with being a realist and admitting we arent as great as everyone thinks.

Accurate.

Saying you're "being a realist" whilst talking down a team that convincingly made the Semi Finals is just factually incorrect. Again, the whole "DURRR I'M THE ONLY ENGLISH BLOKE DAT DONT SUPPORT ENGURLAND" thing is lame, mate.

no one thinks england are good.

that's the entire *censored*ing point

Well, something's coming home.

*snickers*

Well? France and Croatia. Easy 2nd star for France, you wager? I doubt it.

I think France are better than Croatia in any case, but they will also be much fresher having made easier work of their Semi Final. Plus Mbappe is damn near unplayable at the moment.

This entire World Cup has been full of surprises. I would not be shocked if Sunday we see the very last one. It'll be tough for Croatia, but I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow beat France.

Accurate.

Saying you're "being a realist" whilst talking down a team that convincingly made the Semi Finals is just factually incorrect. Again, the whole "DURRR I'M THE ONLY ENGLISH BLOKE DAT DONT SUPPORT ENGURLAND" thing is lame, mate.
We made it there once. Freak results happen, like when Leicester Ciry won the premier league. We just had the luck of the draw in avoiding all the best teams.

no one thinks england are good.

that's the entire *censored*ing point

So good we lost to Iceland. There is a lot more negative than positive in Englands football history. Edited by King RyderFan

Going against the grain doesn't make you anywhere near as interesting as you think it does, Ryderfan. Have a day off mate.

So you admit we had the luck of the draw that made us look better than we really are? Fun fact, the last time any of our opponents in this world cup saw the final was Sweden in 1958.

So good we lost to Iceland. There is a lot more negative than positive in Englands football history.

Iceland have been an extremely good team the last four years, they eliminated not only England but Holland (2010 2nd place, 2014 3rd place), they finished above Croatia in the qualifying group and actually beat Croatia in the qualifying, drew to Messi's Argentina

Just because "It's Iceland" doesn't mean they're shit. They've been one of the best teams in Europe since 2014

You only show up for tournies, don't pretend like you know how good other teams are.

Can we at least agree on one thing though? How the hell does Raheem Sterling play in the starting lineup of England? He is terrible.

Because our league is so full of foreign talent we dont know how to make homegrown stars anymore.

Sterling scored 23 goals this year. Kane scored 52.

...no homegrown stars my ass.

Going against the grain doesn't make you anywhere near as interesting as you think it does, Ryderfan. Have a day off mate.

So you admit we had the luck of the draw that made us look better than we really are? Fun fact, the last time any of our opponents in this world cup saw the final was Sweden in 1958.

Luck of the draw? we lost on purpose to GET that draw

How is it our fault everyone else was so shit they lose to teams like South Korea?

Edited by Muur

So good we lost to Iceland. There is a lot more negative than positive in Englands football history.

Iceland have been an extremely good team the last four years, they eliminated not only England but Holland (2010 2nd place, 2014 3rd place), they finished above Croatia in the qualifying group and actually beat Croatia in the qualifying, drew to Messi's Argentina

Just because "It's Iceland" doesn't mean they're shit. They've been one of the best teams in Europe since 2014

You only show up for tournies, don't pretend like you know how good other teams are.

Can we at least agree on one thing though? How the hell does Raheem Sterling play in the starting lineup of England? He is terrible.

Because our league is so full of foreign talent we dont know how to make homegrown stars anymore.

2 players out of 16 isnt a team. When was the last time any of the top six in the last season (City, United, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal) played each other and at least 50% of the players on the field were from England, Wales or Scotland? It is so much easier for our top clubs to buy players from other countries and as a result our international teams suffer.

Luck of the draw? we lost on purpose to GET that draw

How is it our fault everyone else was so shit they lose to teams like South Korea?

So were cheats then? And it says a lot that we went for the easier route and still managed to balls it up. Edited by King RyderFan

Scottish, Welsh and Irish players don't count because they can't play for England lol

If you want more "stars"

Stones played 29 for City, Walker payed 52 games for Man City this year, Pickford played every game for Everton, Maguire played 44 games for Leicester (who won the 2016 Premier League), Lingard played 48 games for Man United, Henderson played 41 and is Liverpool captain, Vardy played 43 and scored 23 for Leicester, Trippier played 35 for Spurs, Young played 38 for Man United, Rashofrd played 53 fo United (and has played over 100 games in 2 years), Alli played 50 games for Spurs

and thats just the players who went.

Milner, who retired from England after 2016 got the most assists in the Champions League this year

there are plenty of excellent English players.

You're a "only pretend to support England every 2 years" person, you know nothing about club football

and yes, England technically cheated against Belguim but Belgium tried to lose as well. and now both are in the 3rd place game and neither will give a shit. karma.

Well tell whoever the English announcer for Fox Sports was to stop cause he was asking England players after the game last week if the cup was coming home. Ian Wright was on TV and kept saying its going home.

Its called supporting the team...

Anyways, we were dreadful and Croatia pretty much had control of the ball the entire game. We didnt take our chances and when we have so few it cost us.

Least we exceeeded all expectations and have a very young team.

Scottish, Welsh and Irish players don't count because they can't play for England lol

If you want more "stars"

Stones played 29 for City, Walker payed 52 games for Man City this year, Pickford played every game for Everton, Maguire played 44 games for Leicester (who won the 2016 Premier League), Lingard played 48 games for Man United, Henderson played 41 and is Liverpool captain, Vardy played 43 and scored 23 for Leicester, Trippier played 35 for Spurs, Young played 38 for Man United, Rashofrd played 53 fo United (and has played over 100 games in 2 years), Alli played 50 games for Spurs

and thats just the players who went.

Milner, who retired from England after 2016 got the most assists in the Champions League this year

there are plenty of excellent English players.

You're a "only pretend to support England every 2 years" person, you know nothing about club football

and yes, England technically cheated against Belguim but Belgium tried to lose as well. and now both are in the 3rd place game and neither will give a shit. karma.

I wasnt just saying England, I was counting Scotlands and Wales teams too, give you a bit of leniency when it came to pur homegrown talent.

Not what I asked. I asked the last time any of our top six teams played each other and the at least 11 of the 22 players on the field were from our island. Our teams suffer if its just one or two players on each team while the other 16 or so on the pitch are from France or Spain or Italy or wherever. Heck, your list shows like ten players from six teams, because the rest are foreign talent. That is the root of the problem. Until we tell our club teams to stop taking foreign talent, our international teams will suffer.

Getting to the last four is suffering? Italy didn't qualify, Spain and Germany did shit. So much for those three.

Germany being eliminated by South Korea is 10 times more embarrassing than Iceland. Italy didn't even qualify, 2010 second place and 2014 3rd Holland didn't qualify

England are fine.

If the other countries are so good why did they all do terrible?

Edited by Muur

Getting to the last four is suffering? Italy didn't qualify, Spain and Germany did shit. So much for those three.

Germany being eliminated by South Korea is 10 times more embarrassing than Iceland. Italy didn't even qualify, 2010 winner and 2014 3rd Holland didn't qualify

England are fine.

If the other countries are so good why did they all do terrible?

Taking the easy way and still screwing it up is suffering. You know what I meant when I listed those countries. I was meaning any foreign country. Brazil were eliminated by the team most likely to win the final, Argentina were eliminated by the team who beat us.

And how many of those other team who did shit did we personally eliminate? 0. We just had an incredibly lucky run where we somehow avoided them because they screwed themselves over. I bet if we faced Frace or Spain or Brazil they would have eliminated us.

Well if they wanted to play us they shouldve been less shit. Sweden went through from Germnay's group, so it's Germany's fault. Had Spain not *censored*ed up against Russia, they would've played against us

You can only beat who is in front of you. We got to the last 4, they didn't because they were all dog shit

We beat a Colombia side who were ranked as the third best team in the world for over a year, beat Sweden who are always a good team, beat Panama who qualified over Lunchbox's precious USA

If Panama qualified and USA didnt if we had played USA instead would it have been 12-1 in place of the 6-1?

Stop being a little pessimist and be happy England got to the last four. I'm devastated we lost but I'm not a downer who actually wants England to lose

USA not qualifying was great. I'm so happy i didn't have to get upset that Jozy got hurt again. Team is getting a youthful injection finally. Hopefully Tab Ramos takes the reigns and we will be golden for 2022 when i have to wake up at 3am on a cold December morning to watch a game.