Football Thread

Lunchbox

Yeah, England beat Germany 1-0 in their second match of Euro 2000. It wasn't a particularly good match, but a header from Alan Shearer won it for us, the first time England had beaten a German team in a competitive fixture since 66. A 3-2 loss to Portugal in the opening match - after having been 2-0 up inside the opening 10 minutes - and the aforementioned loss to Romania sent us home early though. The Germans did indeed finish bottom of the group- I think they lost all three of their matches.

The first international tournament that I can remember is USA 94, which is the only one of the past ten World Cups (including the current one) that England have failed to qualify for; with none of the home nations in that year's World Cup, most people opted to cheer on the Republic of Ireland instead.

The first international tournament I watched England in was Euro 96. I was at Wembley for the quarter-final against Spain, to see what until last week ago was the only penalty shootout England had ever won, and I was there again four days later for the semi-final against Germany; had they reached the final, I would've gone to that too.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, England beat Germany 1-0 in their second match of Euro 2000. It wasn't a particularly good match, but a header from Alan Shearer won it for us, the first time England had beaten a German team in a competitive fixture since 66. A 3-2 loss to Portugal in the opening match - after having been 2-0 up inside the opening 10 minutes - and the aforementioned loss to Romania sent us home early though. The Germans did indeed finish bottom of the group- I think they lost all three of their matches.

The first international tournament that I can remember is USA 94, which is the only one of the past ten World Cups (including the current one) that England have failed to qualify for; with none of the home nations in that year's World Cup, most people opted to cheer on the Republic of Ireland instead.

The first international tournament I watched England in was Euro 96. I was at Wembley for the quarter-final against Spain, to see what until last week ago was the only penalty shootout England had ever won, and I was there again four days later for the semi-final against Germany; had they reached the final, I would've gone to that too.

If Gazza had been an inch taller, we'd have won that semi.

This one's decided lads. Enjoy Englands' trip to the finals, France won't be easy to beat.

france aint got shit on the power of a nice cup of tea and some crumpets waiting at home for football

hahahahahahahah thats what you guys get crowning yourself champs after one game.

Theres your captain Harry Kane bottling it when the pressure is on.

literally no one did

"it coming home" is memes from other countries

every single match has england saying "we're gonna lose" and shit

dont think that memes from other countries is "england thought they'd win after one game", the cocky shit from england died after the 2014 world cup

come back when the usa can beat *censored*ing trinidad and tobago

Thank you Croatia. :D

I hope Zack Ryder gets released.

Anyway, I'm £25 up at least - I think France will destroy them Sunday.

'It's coming home' is a meme from what english speak country?

oh no, 30 years ago england did a song about the world cup being hosted in england

and then for the next 30 years OTHER COUNTRIES spammed it

check every reddit thread, none of the highest upvoted people saying it are england flags. no one in england says it seriously

if people think they did, they didnt pay enough attention to WHO was saying it

Well tell whoever the English announcer for Fox Sports was to stop cause he was asking England players after the game last week if the cup was coming home. Ian Wright was on TV and kept saying its going home.

Fox Sports, American commentators. theyre as deluded as you

omg, one former england player says he think we can win and that counts for 50 million englishmen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99% of the coming home memes were either other countries or england fans joking at their own expense of previous cocky campaigns

Yeah, *Censored* England fans for having faith in their team, right? How DARE they want to win.

we should all be like ryder fan and demand we lose because he wants to be miserable

Yeah, *Censored* England fans for having faith in their team, right? How DARE they want to win.

we should all be like ryder fan and demand we lose because he wants to be miserable

Were England, were supposed to be shit. Thats all there is to it.

people like you are the problem with the national team

this is the shit im on about other country people. there are more ryders than there are actual positive people.

Edited by Muur