Football Thread

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to lose, or draw with more yellows tomorrow. Being runners up puts us with Sweden, Denmark. Croatia, Russia Switzerland and either Senegal/Japan/Colombia. Also Spain

Winning gives us Uruguay, Portugal, France, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and either Senegal/Japan/Colombia. Losing on purpose would give us an easier route to the last 4, where if things went as you'd expect we'd play Spain

with a loss on purpose here, the last four is a realistic aim and we can beat Spain. Winning means we porbably lose to Brazil in the last 8 and if not that... then lose to Argentina, Protugal, France or Uruguay in the last four.

Belguim will either wanna lose, or draw with more yellows. Both sides need to not top the group lol

Edited by Muur

RIP Ronaldo and Messi

"I suddenly heard the voices of a thousand advertisers cry out in terror, and were suddenly silenced".

Ronnie's got one more World Cup tournament in him, I don't think Messi has.

RIP Ronaldo and Messi

"I suddenly heard the voices of a thousand advertisers cry out in terror, and were suddenly silenced".

I dunno, he'll be 37 then and Messi will be 35. Messi is more likely to have another in him

RIP Ronaldo and Messi

I dunno, he'll be 37 then and Messi will be 35. Messi is more likely to have another in him

If it were normal players then I'd agree with you, but Ronaldo is a phenomenal athlete and I think there's more chance he's still in good shape come 2022. Ronaldo is also far more likely to be able to adapt his game as he loses his physical pace, and can operate as an Ibrahimovic type #9 striker. With Messi, I think he relies more on his pace and stamina.

They both might just be retired or shit by then, the way Ronaldo is going is gonna catch up to him eventually

True. There's also the political situation developing with Messi's influence over Argentina - supposedly he and Javier Mascherano were basically picking the team. After a disastrous tournament, I strongly suspect that there will be a massive inquiry and stock take of the national team - and that possibly the new regime may see phasing Messi out as a necessary step to improving. I've read that in Argentina, Messi is not actually as universally loved as you'd assume he would be. A lot of people supposedly (according to the article I saw) see him as being more Spanish, as he's lived there since a teenager.

With Ronaldo, I think it would be much harder for Portugal to let him go, and he'd be more likely to even be included as a squad player - for his experience alone. Portugal generally seem to field older players longer than some other countries. Quaresma is in his mid thirties I think.