Football Thread

Lunchbox

So Pardew is gone, Michael Appleton is the favourite, he'll do a good job if appointed

If they're going for Appleton, that suggests to me that the appointment is with an eye on getting out of the Championship next season, rather than believing they can stay up. Normally you'd get them signing a firefighter for the remainder of the season.

Not that getting back out of the Championship is anywhere near guaranteed either. Ask Sunderland.

As for MLS, the biggest thing holding it back is the stigma that football still has in certain sections of the US mainstream - uptake of the game among young people is on the rise, so this will take a little while to translate into following a homegrown side - especially given the blanket coverage of Premier League and La Liga.

Page limit!

I think the biggest problem is that the MLS has the stigma of retirement league when the average age of players in the league is 24 years old and the past few "stars" to come over struggled alot in Pirlo, Gerrard, and Lampard. The league is growing. Im so excited about the state of the Red Bulls right now. They are killing it in the CCL and have a 2-2-0 record in the regular league using all B/C squads due to the academy producing homegrown talent. They lost this past weekend but three guys that came up through the system scored their first goals for the club. Its really exciting.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Pardew is gone, Michael Appleton is the favourite, he'll do a good job if appointed

If they're going for Appleton, that suggests to me that the appointment is with an eye on getting out of the Championship next season, rather than believing they can stay up. Normally you'd get them signing a firefighter for the remainder of the season.

No one believes Albion can stay up. They have 20 points with 6 matches left, so would have to win all 6 to stay up. That is not going to happen.

Not that getting back out of the Championship is anywhere near guaranteed either. Ask Sunderland.

As for MLS, the biggest thing holding it back is the stigma that football still has in certain sections of the US mainstream - uptake of the game among young people is on the rise, so this will take a little while to translate into following a homegrown side - especially given the blanket coverage of Premier League and La Liga.

Page limit!

I think the biggest problem is that the MLS has the stigma of retirement league when the average age of players in the league is 24 years old and the past few "stars" to come over struggled alot in Pirlo, Gerrard, and Lampard. The league is growing. Im so excited about the state of the Red Bulls right now. They are killing it in the CCL and have a 2-2-0 record in the regular league using all B/C squads due to the academy producing homegrown talent. They lost this past weekend but three guys that came up through the system scored their first goals for the club. Its really exciting.

Just wish one of these DP's would make their way down to DC. We're beyond abysmal at the minute.

I still can't believe NY hasn't won the MLS cup yet, no matter how hard they try. As for the "retirement" league quip, a lot of big name players have come over at or just past their prime and I'd say half do well and half don't. Some do alright and then don't stick around. It's hard to build up a great career in the MLS if you're only in it for 1/2 to 2 years tops. Still, this season is gonna be lit as an LA fan, LAFC is playing great for a first year team and the Galaxy just proved it can win on any given day with Zlatan and that young group of core players.

I forget how the playoff format is in MLS, but if it's still East only/West only then NY, whichever of the two your talking about will probably have problems getting past Toronto. I really think that's the only reason why they gave NY another team, so the city has a better chance of winning the cup lol.

Edited by maskedmaniac

I forget how the playoff format is in MLS, but if it's still East only/West only then NY, whichever of the two your talking about will probably have problems getting past Toronto. I really think that's the only reason why they gave NY another team, so the city has a better chance of winning the cup lol.

Toronto need to sort themselves out, because on early season form they won't be IN the playoff. Still early of course, anyone can put a run together and fire themselves up the table.

I fancy Columbus Crew this year, been very impressed with them.

Birmingham 3 points behind and have the shittest away record (With 1 less point than us away)

B'ham go down to 10 men

B'ham and are now on the same points as us after winning 1-0 away against us. We have slightly better GD I guess... but they're on good form so that's irrelevant

We *censored*ing suck so much

I said if we lost this game we'll go down so yay

I mean, there's now 3 teams on 39 and one on 41, so it's close... and third bottom are 5 behind (with a game in hand) but we suck so lol

Another game, another loss. Barsnley won so are only two above the bottom 3 now. They also have a game in hand, so if they win that... lol

2-2 to Barsnley. Was 1-0 down and then was in the bottom 3. Then scored twice in 3 mins and was 5 clear. ...then conceded in the 95th min and it's back to how it was, 2 clear but they have a game in hand. Shame, the winning part was better.

Birmingham back below us on GD.

Good, good.

On the flip side, we're the ones playing Wolves next week.

Also, lol at WBA/MU

Edited by Muur

United have downed tools, that entire performance was from players convinced they've got Champions League football, and aren't particularly bothered about whether it's through second or fourth.

Gutted that Wenger is leaving Arsenal at the end of the season. There has only ever been one Arsenal manager in the 21 years that I've been alive. Despite how recent seasons have played out, I'll always be a big fan of Arsene Wenger. It's going to be really interesting to see who his successor is.