Official Greatest Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Jmerc

And they wouldn't have laughed their asses off like they just saw the funniest shit ever. Only Byron Saxton was trying to be reserved or respectful during that situation. Graves and Cole were basically crying tears of laughter. Wouldn't have happened if it was a planned segment. That kind of laughter is not something that can be faked.

I agree but to be fair, they dont tell commentary everything.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Observer clarification on the Sami situation:

While WWE was talking about progression in the country, the reality was very different. From April 17 to April 19, 2014, Sami Zayn, a Canadian who comes from Syrian heritage, wrestled in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia for three straight nights. At the time, he wasn’t even a main roster member because they wanted to use him as a Middle Eastern star. In 2018, he was not allowed to wrestle in the same country. Folks, that is not progress. That is going backwards.
The Zayn situation was kept secret before and during the show. He himself had known about it for about a week, as he was told he was doing an injury angle on the 4/23 Raw show to explain him not being on the show as advertised. He was not told why he wasn’t on the show. To the best of our knowledge and based on what he’s said to others privately, he still hasn’t been told and has claimed he has no explanation. There was a directive that nobody could speak on that issue until after the show, to avoid controversy that the company had now also been told a performer couldn’t come because of his ethnicity. All the announcers and others were given a handbook of sorts with all kinds of rules, mostly of customs and things to avoid doing (such as never blow off a handshake to anyone because they will take it as an insult and you don’t want to insult the wrong person), and one of the directives was to never mention anything about Zayn, and obviously not a word was said on the broadcast about the women either.

Meh, WWE is part of the wrong people, albeit on a very different level, so they're unlikely to feel too uncomfortable with the situation.

Agreed. They knew damn well what they were getting into. They weren't forced to make a deal at gun point and they're not being held hostage. Literally no angle you can have that makes WWE the victim.

WWE Hall of Famer Lita recently spoke to WrestleZone Radio about WWE's Greatest Royal Rumble event in Saudi Arabia:

I understand that they are a business, a global business, and always looking to expand their global presence. However, I do feel its a direct conflict of interest with them maintaining any integrity or truth to the fact that they say they would like to push forward women and their roles and their representation in the industry as anything remotely resembling an equal to a male.

Make the money, thats fine, but dont try to cover it up and be like, 'No, we are doing this because we would like to in the future be able to help progress their culture forward!' No, you wanted the money and thats fine. Youre a business and businesses make money. Thats okay. From your perspective over there, I dont own your business, so thats ok. But, from a PR perspective, dont try to be like 'Were doing it because we want to help progress that culture forward.' No, its a direct conflict of interest, in my opinion.

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/52250/Lita-Strongly-Criticizes-Greatest-Royal-Rumble-Event-Calls-it/

Full interview: https://soundcloud.com/wrestlezoneradio/amy-lita-dumas-on-her-new-ufo-sho-wwes-women-in-saudi-arabia-decision-faked-moon-landing-more

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel Bryan reveals what happened in the ring with him and Titus ONeil after his great slide at the Greatest Royal Rumble. While speaking to Inside the Ropes, Bryan explained how Titus reacted after his embarrassing fall which was also shown repeatedly on the tron.

So this is what happened. I was in the ring, and keep in mind I had been in the ring for a long time. I didnt know anything that had happened. Titus slides in the ring and punches me in the face. Like really hard. Hes got this big, huge hands. Hes just like, boom! Im like, whoa! What happened?! And then Im like, I was like, enraged and I was gonna kick him in the face. And then, I glance up, and you see the tron and they played it like twelve times in a row of him tripping and falling and sliding into the ring and I was just like, you know what? I understand. Im gonna go over here. Gonna leave him be.'

http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/959371-959371

Full interview:

Archived