Future Gameplay Ideas and Improvements Thread

EJ!

We need the diagonals given back to us. There is no longer any reason, given the removal of the bent over groggy state, that every wrestler needs that toe kick anymore, nor should all those directions in grapple be taken up by whatever ugly vertical suplex they choose for a given years game.

Other than that, we need at least rudimentary AI options, even if it's just the old Grappler/Striker/submissions/hardcore/flyer choice. Movement needs to be less glacial, and well, I would like to be able to hit all strikes from all positions, especially dives. there is no good reason for why I cant hit guillotine leg drops to a face down opponent. There should be a decent number of sells from the side and the back added to the game for the sake of letting me clothesline someone in the ear.

Also the AI needs to be willing to play along when it comes to match types. Hell in a cell matches/Ladder matches, whatever, the cpu opponent shouldn't go out of it's way to ignore the gimmick like it does now. You pretty much have to drag an AI opponent kicking and screaming into any sort of cool spot.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like a one button submission system again, There should be a warning if you select the one button option like " picking this option will disable online play are you sure you want to continue ?" type thing to avoid people with turbo controllers. i asked this because i suck at the submission system. :(

It breaks my heart to imagine where this game would be now if it was being built on the No Mercy/Virtua Pro Wrestling engine all these years. If it was being built on the All Star Pro Wrestling engine, I can say without a shadow of a doubt we would literally have the best playing wrestling game ever because those games were FAR ahead of their time in every way.

Except those engines are dead now and been dead for years

I dont think theyre dead. I know the No Mercy engine was lost after the first or second Def Jam game but is it not possible for them to rebuild either engines if they were ever found?

That'd be a bit like if Microsoft were to try and build windows 10 off of windows ME. Possible and probable are not the same thing. There's too many missing variables to immediately say "this would be good". Especially since indie wrestling games that have tried to emulate the No Mercy engine have not exactly accomplished their goal.

How do you lose a game engine ? On topic I wanna see when you win by roll up and it's a title match the winning animation should be rolling out the ring. Asking the ref for the title then raising the title. now if you win a title match via roll up the superstar will roll out with the new animation. Than the title winning animation begins which doesn't looks right.

I... Think you might be confused on what a game engine does. Game engine and gameplay are not necessarily the same thing.

If you were to compare a game with a car, then naturally people would expect the games engine to be comparable to the cars engine; and while there are some similarities, itd actually be safer to compare a games engine with a cars frame. You can put all manner of things into the frame, but eventually the frame starts needing adjusting for newer parts and ideas and eventually is just to old and not shaped right for the newest stuff.

This is why things like top rope submissions isnt possible, theres just no slot in the framework for such a thing as it was never taken into account when the engine was being made And, while you could adjust the engine to do so, chances are it would structurally hurt it and make it even more unstable as code is constantly being changed, moved, adjusted, and removed.

Eventually, the frame falls apart under the weight of all it has to carry, but because the mechanics (2K in this case) has to constantly pump out orders every day, there's not enough time to make a new frame from scratch and trying would result in a broken untested shoddy mess that would be even worse than the overworked frame from before.

Im going to be honest I didnt read all of that. Not because I dont care but I simply dont feel like it man. But my wish in a way stands. Whether its separate or not. The engine/gameplay whatever needs big changes. Not saying the game is even horrible but its lacks fun and mileage imo. Like its fun for some months and then before the new one comes out its boring in my personal opinion. I dont know if its the pacing or what but the game feels slow and methodical all the time. Which turns it into this dull atmosphere. Im not saying HCTP or anything else is better but to me they hold up longer as far as fun goes imo. Hard to describe I guess.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I would like to see improvements, new features, and serious bug fixing, but IMO the gameplay is the best its ever been in the series bar none.

I... Think you might be confused on what a game engine does. Game engine and gameplay are not necessarily the same thing.

If you were to compare a game with a car, then naturally people would expect the games engine to be comparable to the cars engine; and while there are some similarities, itd actually be safer to compare a games engine with a cars frame. You can put all manner of things into the frame, but eventually the frame starts needing adjusting for newer parts and ideas and eventually is just to old and not shaped right for the newest stuff.

This is why things like top rope submissions isnt possible, theres just no slot in the framework for such a thing as it was never taken into account when the engine was being made And, while you could adjust the engine to do so, chances are it would structurally hurt it and make it even more unstable as code is constantly being changed, moved, adjusted, and removed.

Eventually, the frame falls apart under the weight of all it has to carry, but because the mechanics (2K in this case) has to constantly pump out orders every day, there's not enough time to make a new frame from scratch and trying would result in a broken untested shoddy mess that would be even worse than the overworked frame from before.

That was kinda beautiful.

But I agree with you both to an extent. This is perhaps the best gameplay in the series, however, it does get stale much faster than I would like. I can say for sure that HCTP or SvR2006 still holds up because I havent played them in years but Im confident enough that once the nostalgia wears off I would likely be in the same spot. I have said it throughout this entire topic but A.O.L I guarantee the reason why you are bored is because the game doesnt give the player any room to have once in a lifetime moments, no room for any kind of variation, every bit of fun is directly spoonfed to the player all the way down to the stupid ass OMG moments. When a wrestling game is this linear, it kills replayability because we all know what wrestling is, we make our predictions on a winner but we know anything can happen between the two bells. The games dont have that feeling.

The fix to this isnt going back to an arcade style, but to actually go further in sim direction so much so that anything the player can think up within the realm of possibility, they can do in the game which means having gameplay so in-depth that the player feels a sense of moment-to-moment freedom when in a match but are still bound by the restrictions of the human body. Problem is, either direction you go in...less than a year of dev time is nowhere near enough so we are on this weird treadmill where they improve or add one thing while another thing suffers.

You both make fair points for sure. GMP I ended up reading the rest of your post. And it had amazing points. But I can honestly say its not a nostalgia thing for me. Its hard to say the season mode back then was more fun and why for instance. But honestly 2006 had the perfect combination of simulation and arcade. So idk.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I would like to see improvements, new features, and serious bug fixing, but IMO the gameplay is the best its ever been in the series bar none.

I completely agree with you it's at an all time high. And I'd say it's pretty good.

Of course in terms of gameplay everything is subjective and that is the reason the "perfect game" doesn't exist, I'll never fault someone for it not being their cup of tea.

Honestly if they can bring backstory designer and it works perfectly that would make a perfect game for me

Setting the bar pretty low there Austin.

Not really keeping what we have now and just add a perfectly working story designer that make the game for me replayable for a long time

You know, for all the problems, bugs, glitches, and ill-thought things in 2K18, when you manage to have that REALLY good match, its the best feeling ever.

Because of that, I want to see work to make more dynamic story telling in matches. Things like earlier finisher teases. false comebacks, the crowd (and commentary) building to a true crescendo at the climaxes of matches, better injury selling (lets see someone with a red leg legit limping and selling the injury). Lets have commentary note if a specific strategy is in use, and not just as a one-off aside comment (IE, have them note when a wrestler has been working all night on a limb to set up for their submission finisher).

If a player is acting particularly aggressive or in some other way that is not normal for the wrestler they're playing as, have commentary note that too.

And in-match heel and face turns!

too add to this, I would add more stages to the submission game (discussed previously why thats a good idea) since at the moment, there's no real drama to a submission hold because one way or another, it ends too quickly. The best submission holds story wise is when a wrestler after a grueling match manages to slap it on and its a long climactic and suspenseful period of time where the crowd is on their seat to see if the pain will finally overwhelm and cause a tap out. but because submissions right now are so goddamn fast both ways, that drama isn't there.

I recognize of course that having stages for submission holds would mean needing to mocap almost all of them over again, but I really think such a feature would help.

Also, I would really like to see tired finishers make a come back. At the moment, the gameplay and stamina system has been sped up so much that you don't see them in the game anymore, and thats really unfortunate because they add SO much to the drama of a match.

Archived