Official WrestleMania 34 Discussion Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take on the show...

- The Triple Threat IC title match was great. Thought it could have gone on just a tad bit longer, but it was still really enjoyable. I dug everyone's attires except for Bálor's. Me and everyone was fully expecting him to come out as the Demon King because his entrance was last. Sorta surprised with Rollins winning. Definitely not complaining, though.

- Asuka vs. Charlotte was as good as I had expected. Thought they would bust out a bit more, tbh. Asuka losing shocked the hell out of me. I couldn't have picked anyone better to end Asuka's streak other than Charlotte, though. Asuka has pretty much beaten almost all the female talent on the main roster from both brands. My only issue is the fact that Asuka took a submission loss. I'd much rather her take a the pin fall instead, but it's whatever.

- The U.S. title match was better than I was expecting. Rusev is maaaaaad over, and of course, he doesn't win. I'm okay with Mahal being U.S. champion. He probably should have won that title first before becoming WWE champion, but w/e. As long as he doesn't get anywhere close to the WWE title in the foreseeable future (unless he improves a lot), I'm a-okay.

- Ronda/Kurt vs. Steph/HHH was surprisingly really good. Like, nearly MOTN good if I'm being completely honest. Ronda looked like a complete natural and I was invested from start to finish; not a single dull moment, which is what I expecting there to be for the most part.

- SD Tag Titles was decent. I'm sure a lot of people are bummed out about the match not going on that long, but the match being short was perfect. Bludgeon Bros. are supposed to be super dominant and they're style is just to run through your ass - and that's exactly what they did. Not every match (even at a show like WrestleMania) needs to be long and drawn out be good.

- Alexa vs. Nia was decent. I honestly felt like Bliss got in a bit too much offense. Loved how Nia ripped apart Mickie before the match started, ensuring that Bliss didn't have any aid. I'm happy that Nia Jax won the title, which is something I thought I'd never say - especially not this soon in to her career on the main roster. I just like her for some reason.

- Cena vs. Taker was perfect. Glad the match didn't run past 10 minutes considering it was pretty much a "last minute" showdown and with all the shit-talking Cena has done for nearly a month straight trying to rile up Taker to accept the match. Cena getting hardly any offense was great. I was a bit bummed Taker didn't come out as ABA, but seeing Undertaker's entrance in person (especially at a show like WM) never gets old.

- Bryan/Shane vs. KO/Zayn was good. Bryan didn't miss not one single step and after being gone for almost a whole 3(?) years, it's safe to say he's still the most over guy on the roster.

- Styles vs. Nakamura was boring. I knew loooooong before the match was even set that it was going to top their previous match in NJPW...but I wasn't expecting THAT. I went in with iffy expectations, and I was still underwhelmed - which is kinda sad to say given how *censored*ing talented both AJ and Naka are. Nakamura losing was a bit surprising and him turning heel after the match was even MORE surprising - probably the second biggest shocker of the night.

- I have no words for Lesnar vs. Reigns. The match was lame as *Censored*, but I'm incredibly surprised Lesnar walked out with the belt. I thought Dana's announcement of Lensar returning to the UFC practically confirmed that he was losing the strap to Roman. With Roman kicking out of the F5 like 4 or 5 different times, I figured they wouldn't have him kick out and show so much resiliency for nothing. I have mixed feelings with the result.

- And lastly, me winning the RAW Tag Titles with Bruan was easily the best moment of my life!!!! The belts look a lot lighter on TV. Thanks, guys. :)

Top 3... Christ....

Finn Balor vs. The Miz vs. Seth Rollins

Womens Battle Royal

Erm.. I'm struggling...

Charlotte vs. Asuka a possible contender but the way Asuka just accepted the loss, by submission as well... like it was NOTHING. It does made no sense and sucked all emotion out of the match like a fart at the end of a beautiful marriage proposal.

Then they go to cena undertaker. Go *Censored* yourselves wwe.?

Absolute shocking mania. One of the biggest let downs

Top 3... Christ....

Finn Balor vs. The Miz vs. Seth Rollins

Womens Battle Royal

Erm.. I'm struggling...

Charlotte vs. Asuka a possible contender but the way Asuka just accepted the loss, by submission as well... like it was NOTHING. It does made no sense and sucked all emotion out of the match like a fart at the end of a beautiful marriage proposal.

Then they go to cena undertaker. Go *Censored* yourselves wwe.?

Absolute shocking mania. One of the biggest let downs

We expected more yes but i wouldn't call it a let down

Surely it means just that though?

I expect say 8. They have talent to deliver 10 to be honest. They give us a 3. They've let us down.

It was just so bland. The card was stacked. You barely had any poor level talent taking up matches (outside of the Andre battle royal) but barely any match had any fire.

I couldn't point to any match and say "Wow... what a way to end that amazing feud!"

It was just.... so bad. I'm struggling to understand how they have so much money and so little talent for writing and booking.

Did anyone care that aj won? That lesnar retained? That asuka lost and lost her streak to boot when she didnt? That bray helped Matt hardy? Brawn picking some kid? Over a surprise fun appearance? Really?

Undertaker coming out and Daniel Bryan was probably about as emotional as it got. And both of those things were down to time. Those were rare one off occasions. You'll never see Daniel Bryan return from a hiatus like that again. (Lets forgot the terrible match that occurred)

And taker appearing it's it's own spectacle.

When once again like last year the NXT show eclipsed almost everything wrestlemania did. It's mind blowing.

Whoever was working the Gargano vs ciampa story made the team writing wrestlemania look like an embarrassment.

For the last time, WWE AND NXT are the same company. It will never be an embarrassment if one is better at something than the other. Its written different because there are less matches and less to work with. And besides who on the WM 34 card was betrayed and stabbed in the back by their best friend and partner to match the storyline you just mentioned? And not Nia vs Alexa. Also Gargano vs Ciampa had a longer emotional build than any of the main roster feuds I believe. Nonetheless it doesnt matter.

Still trying to process Wrestlemania. Can't say it was predictable. A lot of shocks last night.

I absolutely loved the IC title and mixed tag matches. They were brilliant.

I enjoyed Naka vs Styles, i think it was always going to struggle to live up to the unrealistic hype but i do think they should have got more time out there. The ending was mad and i'm really interested to see where they take Nakamura with this. The feud just got a lot more interesting.

My jaw dropped when Asuka lost. Just couldn't believe she tapped out to Charlotte. Not sure where we go from here with Asuka and Charlotte on SD but i'm intrigued.

The whole Taker squashing Cena was f*cking hilarious but i dunno if i'm sold on a year build up to next years Mania. Another year postponement of this won't do anyone any favors. If it isn't setting up a match what does Cena do now? Lmao

Wasn't keen on what happened in the Strowman match. Yeah it was kinda cool but i was expecting better and it did kinda take me out of the ppv. But hey, it's better than Big Show coming out.

Now the main event, just what even? So many f*cking F5's and superman punches/Spears. Especially the sheer amount of F5's. Just became a finisher spot fest and i didn't really enjoy it. I loved how Reigns got busted open and he genuinely looked like a bad ass...then Lesnar hit an F5 and pinned him. Urrrm what? F*ck sake you telling me we got more of this sh*t? More of not having the Universal title on RAW. What a load of crap.

Overall a really enjoyable PPV but left with a lot of confusion about the ending.

For the last time, WWE AND NXT are the same company. It will never be an embarrassment if one is better at something than the other. Its written different because there are less matches and less to work with. And besides who on the WM 34 card was betrayed and stabbed in the back by their best friend and partner to match the storyline you just mentioned? And not Nia vs Alexa. Also Gargano vs Ciampa had a longer emotional build than any of the main roster feuds I believe. Nonetheless it doesnt matter.

For the last time?

Err.. what now?

Who doesn't know they're the same company?

OF COURSE I KNOW THEY ARE??!!? . That's why i mentioned them together. it's embarrassing that the team writing stories... for nxt... who are working for the same company... actually planned ahead with a storyline. You know like they decided "we should start here.. and plan so we end there"

Like you mentioned... They Spent months working an emotional storyline.. chose 2 outstanding workers to pull it off... they worked a brilliant script through multiple matches that incredibly all linked together in that final match giving fans a reason to go back and re-Watch them To go... omg foreshadowing!

And wrestlemania... didnt.

Nxt is a developmental essentially.

And Wrestlemania is.... wait.. let that word sink in for a moment. It's wrestlemania.

For wrestlemania to be upstaged by it's developmental show in terms of writing and planning and execution.

How is that not an embarrassment?

For the last time?

Err.. what now?

Who doesn't know they're the same company?

OF COURSE I KNOW THEY ARE??!!? . That's why i mentioned them together. it's embarrassing that the team writing stories... for nxt... who are working for the same company... actually planned ahead with a storyline. You know like they decided "we should start here.. and plan so we end there"

Like you mentioned... They Spent months working an emotional storyline.. chose 2 outstanding workers to pull it off... they worked a brilliant script through multiple matches that incredibly all linked together in that final match giving fans a reason to go back and re-Watch them To go... omg foreshadowing!

And wrestlemania... didnt.

Nxt is a developmental essentially.

And Wrestlemania is.... wait.. let that word sink in for a moment. It's wrestlemania.

For wrestlemania to be upstaged by it's developmental show in terms of writing and planning and execution.

How is that not an embarrassment?

Im not going to downplay this post because you put a lot of thought and effort into it. So Ill say this, I said for the last time because for days, as usual with WM season people do this NXT put Mania to shame or Mania wont top NXT. And Im saying again it doesnt need to top anything. They dont compete with each other to see who has the best show. At least I dont believe they do. But either way its a win win for Vince, you either have the Network to see NXT or Mania. Thats all the bottom line is, that you have the Network Lol That's like if back in the day a fan said boy that Sunday heat match was epic, hope ppv delivers because if not Heat is supreme. It just doesnt add up.

Maybe it's me but when you promote Wrestlemania as the grandest show of them all, by default, it's obligated to upstage every other show the company produces. It's almost obligated to upstage every other wrestling show period.

Ergo saying it doesn't need to top anything, especially NXT, is ridiculous to me.

But maybe I'm a negative nancy and my expectations are too high, what do I know.

I think it's more a sign that HHH and his team in NXT know better how to script plan and produce emotional stories that span months and end satisfyingly.

Than whoever puts wrestlemania together these days.

It shouldn't be that difficult to plan wrestlemania and plan big exciting stories around the talent. It used to have that magic. It just felt bland this year.

If nxt hadn't happened it would still have felt that way. We just wouldn't have that evidence to go "omg.. why when they're clearly quite capable over here!!" And instead just take it for what it was and not really judge it and evaluate it.

Archived