Do you enjoy entertainment from before your time?

Senex Beast

Of course! I love stuff from the early 70s and 60s. I like monster movies from before then. My favorite movies are the Exorcist and the original Omen. In fact, the original version of the Omen came out a year before I was born. I like music mainly from the 60s to the early 2000s.

I like newer stuff too.

The thing is, stuff from the '60s and '70s isn't that old. I don't mean to single you out, but it seems like for those who are interested in "older things," it's typically stuff that date back only a half-century ago. That's nothing when you consider how many centuries worth of art and culture there is. Do people not have any interest in things that are from the 1800s? The 1600s? The Middle Ages? Antiquity?

I think we're talking about entertainment that's captured on a medium, you weirdo. Plays, dance, etc weren't captured back then because filming didn't exist, so it shouldn't count.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do people not have any interest in things that are from the 1800s? The 1600s? The Middle Ages? Antiquity?

Of course. But, the topic is about entertainment...so that really only goes back as far as the late 1800's...maybe older if you're considering books, but, I think the focus here is probably film and music. I'm pretty sure that appreciating antiques and things that belong in museums is another discussion entirely...

I love history museums, though. Art museums bore the hell out of me. But history museums are always fascinating.

No, I'm talking about entertainment. Literature, music, dance, plays, and so on. This stuff has been around forever.

If you mean books like the Shahnameh, authors and poets like Lord Byron, Shakespeare, Milton, Proust and Poe; philosophers like Voltaire, classical and Baroque music ancient art and history, then yes! I love Baroque and Victorian architecture and fashion as well.

Movies, not so much. There are a few older movies that I really like, like Taxi Driver or Dog Day Afternoon. But for the most part, if a movie came out before the '80s, I'm not too interested in it. Same with TV shows. I'll watch a re-run of an old show from the '80s that I used to watch when I was a kid, but nothing really older than that.

Music on the other hand, I listen to a lot of older music. Especially now. When I was younger, I was pretty much only into hip-hop music. I feel like I'm too old to get into new hip-hop artists now, and the older stuff from the '90s that I grew up on is kinda hard to listen to now. I can't listen to something like "Aint No Fun" by Snoop Dogg while I'm at work, or when I'm hanging out with a date or something, cause that stuff's just way too over the top offensive. So I find myself listening to a lot of old school R&B these days.

A lot of times though, how they did things back then is different from now. Dunno if that makes sense.

Yeah, I'm not getting you. I don't see the relevance. A book is a book. A play is a play. A symphony is a symphony. If you like a Dickens' book, for instance, you like something that originates from the 1800s. It's not complicated. lol

A book is different from a live version, you might not get the same effect now as you did in the 1800s. Bach's music for example might have sounded better back then than it does now with someone else playing it. Books are static, though the original books would add more to the experience than the updated versions. Concerts and plays aren't static, they can change, especially over time.

i absolutely enjoy music and movies/tv shows before my time. one of my top 5 tv shows of all time is The Rifleman which ran from 1958-1963. in fact it airs on AMC Saturday mornings now from 6am to most of the time 11am. ive also been buying the dvds as they become available. actually got the original Time Machine and War Of The Worlds movies for Christmas. im an eighties kid so i didnt miss much from 1980 till now but i do enjoy stuff all the way back to the 50's. especially those sci-fi 'martian' movies. as far video games, well, as i said, im an eighties kid, so i lived through the entire video game industry. didn't miss anything on that front lol.

I would put that type of behavior into the same category as people who don't like music...which I still can't wrap my mind around. I mean...there are people who actually don't like music...at all. Don't care about it. Not a single band or group. Couldn't be bothered to listen to music under their own will. That's a mind blowing revelation to me.

Not liking music is like not liking sex!

I would put that type of behavior into the same category as people who don't like music...which I still can't wrap my mind around. I mean...there are people who actually don't like music...at all. Don't care about it. Not a single band or group. Couldn't be bothered to listen to music under their own will. That's a mind blowing revelation to me.

Not liking music is like not liking sex!

You do get people who just don't listen to music though. Like, they might know a chorus of a popular chart song, but don't really seek music out.

Those people are *censored*ing losers.

Yeah, mostly has to do with growing up around family that listened to music from like the 70s, 80s, and early 90s that sounded good to me. Same with TV shows that were either on years before I was born or a few months. As for todays entertainment, I pretty much have the same attitude on if it sounds good to me I like it since half the stuff out is ehh.

The thing is, stuff from the '60s and '70s isn't that old. I don't mean to single you out, but it seems like for those who are interested in "older things," it's typically stuff that date back only a half-century ago. That's nothing when you consider how many centuries worth of art and culture there is. Do people not have any interest in things that are from the 1800s? The 1600s? The Middle Ages? Antiquity?

Main entertainment like film/shows and video games came to mind while making this thread but you're right. I should have included that as it's important to plenty of people, including me.

I'm a history buff and my favorite time periods are ancient egypt, the middle ages and the old/wild west. It's a damn shame to me if somebody doesn't give a damn about history.

Definitely, be it music (I love Dr Hook for example, and early Queen), TV (Porridge is an all time favourite for me) and film (yeah how many of us were born in 1977 when Star Wars came out?)

I do. I remember being a kid sat down being oddly intrigued by Laurel and Hardy. With how Charlie Chaplin used to move and express himself without sound. Music like Black Sabbath, James Brown, The Temptations, Little Richard, The Doors etc. Old slasher movies. I've recently started to gain an appreciation for old westerns. I think that has to do with playing Red Dead Redemption back when that came out. Thanks, Rockstar!

I like classical music too. The only exception I will make in my case is that I cannot watch anything in black and white.

You're sorely and surely missing out on classics, man. Film noirs especially do black and white so well with how they use shadows and lighting.

Archived