Do you enjoy entertainment from before your time?

Senex Beast

If you're not remotely interested in anything that was before your time (and then some), then something is wrong with you. To me it shows that you're dull, incredibly ignorant, and have a lack of curiosity and the desire to learn.

Agreed, these people I generally find to have no taste. Bland or no music taste, your average movie watcher, the type who just watch whatever crap comes on regularly scheduled TV. The type of person who only ever hears chart pop music and will claim a song is old later in the year as if that somehow negates the song in some way.

Bland people.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no reason to ignore entertainment from different time periods...especially when you do so intentionally.

I might see the convenience in sticking to your own era of entertainment just because that content is readily available and more pertinent to the conversations you have with your friends. But, if you go out of your way to snub or avoid older forms of entertainment with the express reasoning of not wanting to see it for one reason or another, I do find that to be incredibly bizarre behavior.

I would put that type of behavior into the same category as people who don't like music...which I still can't wrap my mind around. I mean...there are people who actually don't like music...at all. Don't care about it. Not a single band or group. Couldn't be bothered to listen to music under their own will. That's a mind blowing revelation to me.

I'll just put it like this...if you ignore past forms of entertainment, then you are essentially ignoring the storytelling avenue of generation after generation of the human race. If you were in a tribe, you would intentionally be ignoring the stories of your elders. It might not seem like stories are important, but they are. Even the most fictional of tales have lessons to be learned.

And that doesn't mean that you can't watch some antiquated piece of film or listen to an old song and say "man...this is just not good at all". Of course you can do that. But the important part is that you absorb that information. People should always be open to absorbing as much information as possible. I never understood how someone could say "This is it for me...this is where everything stops. I'm happy with just this."

I use to love the Dukes of Hazard when I was like 3. Always called the General Lee the "Yee Haw Car" and my favorite Hot Wheel was a General Lee. Played with it so much that the wheels got super worn down to the point where it looked like it was driving on the rims XD. But in the current times, I wouldn't say that'd I'd go out of my way to watch anything from that far back. Some shows I'd prolly break down and binge if I was bored enough. I believe I Love Lucy and Happy Days were mentioned, but I couldn't guarantee it'd would have the same appeal as it did the last time I saw them.

Also I was born in 1989 but I'll fight a man who says they don't like M*A*S*H

Never liked MASH.

*slowly raises fists*

Figures. The puppy hater also hates M*A*S*H.

There is a special place in hell for you buddy.

M*A*S*H was one of those things that would be on in a marathon, and it never appealed to me at all. Not too keen on 70's tv in general, tbh. I like 1950's, 1960's, and 1980's television...quite a lot of it. But, the 1970's are a pretty noticeable dead spot for me. You had some decent comedy like Sanford and Son, and Good Times...but that's about where my appreciation of 70's tv ends.

I grew up loving Nick at Nite, which eventually became TV Land. 50's - 80's had so many now iconic shows. Don't know how the 70's was a dead zone when it had..

The Incredible Hulk

Gilligan's Island

Happy Days

Sandford and Son

The Jeffersons

The A-Team

Good Times

Taxi

M*A*S*H*

Starsky & Hutch

CHIPS

Mork and Mindy

Golden Girls

Magnum P.I.

Etc

Of course I do, I think you'd have to be crazy not to. I don't get people who wish they were born in a prior era though. I mean I kind of get it. It'd be cool to see the Talking Heads live or see the B-52's in their prime, but also I feel incredibly blessed to live an era where I can listen to any record i want or watch any movie I want whenever I want. Though I kind of understand that maybe that effort to obtain something leads you to appreciate it more once you have it.

I wonder if this century will mirror the last one. The first 20 years of the 1900's brought huge changes from the 1800's and led to World War 1, 1930's and 40's were shit because of World War 2, 1950's - 1980's were mostly considered fun and great decades

The first 17 years this century sure seems like a whole new world again and World War 3 could be a possibility in the near future(next 30 years). There better not be a new great depression in the 2030's! I can just imagine the new generation of kids in the 2050's and 60's

Wrestling is the only thing, save for few stuff, that I find it difficult to enjoy from before my time just because it's too slow-paced and dull, if not predictable (for WWE anyway). At least, pre-HBK/Bret Hart matches, as those two could put on great matches.

Otherwise, I enjoy movies even back during silent era and TV shows like Three's Company and I Love Lucy. Same with music as well.

Man, I *censored*ing love Star Wars, 80's-90's music, The Beatles, older video games that I would've been too young to comprehend, and other shit. Hell yes I do. My love of Final Fantasy came from playing FF7 for the first time and I fell in love with it. I was only in diapers when that game came out, and now I'm playing a game older than I am in FF6.

Attitude Era was edgy and had great segments. Matches were great too, usually, if not exciting. The Hulkamania Era had great promos and interviews, but that's about it. Matches (Hogan's and Warrior's anyway) sucked and were too predictable. Give me wrestlers like Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerrero, and Austin, they're so much more fun to watch.

I like to watch old wrestling events for the sake of knowledge. Learning the origin of a move or catchphrase, absorbing the history of a particular feud or athlete. But I definitely get distracted by the fact that none of it really means anything. I largely enjoy live shows when it comes to things like wrestling or MMA. Sometimes if I miss a live show, I won't even bother watching the recap of it, because I just stop caring. So, yeah...backtracking old wrestling events is purely for a quest of knowledge. Rarely for any kind of personal enjoyment of getting involved in a match and being on the edge of my seat. It's for the nostalgia of reliving a moment that I experienced as a kid, or it's for learning about things that I wasn't personally aware of.

As a somewhat classical musician... This entire idea bugs me. It's impossible to look at or listen to some classical pieces and not enjoy them. Not to mention the usage of Remixes or movie themes. (Imagine not liking a Single GotG song)

Another thing that I meant to mention is the historic aspect of format. Format will always be an interesting subject to me. Especially when it comes to early recordings on things like wax tubes or tin plates. Same goes for old photos and the chemical processing of all that...or the early video recordings, and how they were edited. All truly fascinating stuff. To watch a piece of film when they had limited options in how they could perform certain special effects, even...to see the lengths they went to, to do what could be done effortlessly in modern times. That's a cool thing to see. Especially animation; I love the process behind hand-drawn animation. I always will.

As a somewhat classical musician... This entire idea bugs me. It's impossible to look at or listen to some classical pieces and not enjoy them. Not to mention the usage of Remixes or movie themes. (Imagine not liking a Single GotG song)

Imagine going through life without listening to The Chain by Fleetwood Mac. That idea actually makes me feel sorry for people. :(

I like Pulp Fiction?

I like got this Super Nintendo classic here, that's before my time.

That one movie Tupac was in; Juice. That was cool.

I don't think I'm really interested in stuff before my time. I'm hardly interested in stuff as it is. Unless I have some sort of connection with it, I won't pick it up, which applies to most stuff I wasn't around for.

I almost wanted to use That 70s Show as an example, before realizing that's not actually a show from the 70s.

Definitely. I am very much interested in history, it's why I going to school to become an archivist. My favourite genre of music is Blues. Most of the quintessential records were released decades before I was born in '94. I love Rockabilly as well. Even with wrestling, I love watching any footage I can to learn about the history of the business and to get context of how different styles influenced the business today. The same goes for film.

The wrestling talk reminds me of certain posters in the wwe games section that are all about the past and so anti new wrestling even in a new wrestling game. I understand not being into current wwe but there are people who just want content of the past as much as possible. Legends, old arenas, etc and even someone who only wants a shit ton of WCW content every year. Some are cool with a balance of equal past and present but some treat everything new like a disease and just want a pure WWF or wcw game every new year.

Can nostalgia be a problem as much as someone just wanting somehing fresh and new everyday?

Archived