Do you enjoy entertainment from before your time?

Senex Beast

I know people and have read posts on the internet that just aren't interested in film, television shows or videogames from before they even existed. So I'm curious about thoughts on here.

My ex brother in law was born in the mid or late 90's and so he prefers not to watch or care about stuff pre-2000. My ex wife hates any movie or tv show that is black and white.

I was born in 1985 but enjoy and have huge respect for cinema history from silent films to now. Gilligan's Island, Happy Days and Three's Company are still among my all time favorite sitcoms and those are from the 70's. 80's music is my favorite music.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to prefer more recent things, I don't really care about older stuff. Although some things I like are close to my age range, as I'm 24 and Digimon is 21 and Pokemon 22. So I'd say I like things from around my time period but before me would be 80s stuff and earlier and I don't really two shits about it.

Yes. I don't believe anyone who says they don't. Even if they do I'd call them shallow and conceited.

o

To say you have never watched (etc) something from before you were born? Or will never watch (etc) anything from before you were born is what i consider shallow and conceited. Generally enjoying more recent stuff is fine, I've no problem with that.

I know people and have read posts on the internet that just aren't interested in film, television shows or videogames from before they even existed. So I'm curious about thoughts on here.

My ex brother in law was born in the mid or late 90's and so he prefers not to watch or care about stuff pre-2000. My ex wife hates any movie or tv show that is black and white.

I was born in 1985 but enjoy and have huge respect for cinema history from silent films to now. Gilligan's Island, Happy Days and Three's Company are still among my all time favorite sitcoms and those are from the 70's. 80's music is my favorite music.

I actually watched the first episode of Three's Company on Youtube yesterday (I've watched them all but just felt like watching again) and that show is still as funny, if not funnier than anything on TV today.

Also I was born in 1989 but I'll fight a man who says they don't like M*A*S*H

To say you have never watched (etc) something from before you were born? Or will never watch (etc) anything from before you were born is what i consider shallow and conceited. Generally enjoying more recent stuff is fine, I've no problem with that.

I of course wouldn't go that far and I have of course have seen really old stuff but I'm not gonna go out of my way to watch something from the 60s or whatever. It's why I've never used the WWE Network.

No offense to OP.

But I associate that kind of thinking with kids. and I agree with Creeps description as "conceited" also.

But, I don't know how much of that kind of thinking is still around today. I guess it is, but "vintage" and "retro" stuff no matter the decade has been around for... well around a ceade at least.

So yeah, I do enjoy it. I had a period where I had a problem with the "newer stuff", but then I grew up. So that that had an impact also.

I mean... for an example, to say you don't like to watch films before the sixties, it's cool. Some are just bored by it, don't like this and that. Alright. But when I hear that the reason is "well because it's old" (no matter the form and age), I don't think highly of the person.

I was born in 88 and almost everything I enjoy is from the 70's, 80's and 90's. The older I get the more I like and appreciate those eras too. Music, TV, Movies, ect. I like current movies and games too but I can't stand 90% of the music made after 2010.

I still get people not much younger than me in my store that hasn't watched Back to the Future but not only that, they don't really care to try it. I personally see this an insult lol.

I'm very nostalgic about the 90's because I loved growing up in that decade but everything 80's is awesome to me from movies to shows to music. I wish there was a Cafe 80's like from Back to the Future II.

I've balanced myself than before though. I think I equally love the past and present

I'm very nostalgic about the 90's because I loved growing up in that decade but everything 80's is awesome to me from movies to shows to music. I wish there was a Cafe 80's like from Back to the Future II.

I've balanced myself than before though. I think I equally love the past and present

Oh my love for the old stuff far out weighs the new now but pretty much only in music. My favorite is 80s music so an 80's cafe would be awesome. There's too much to name. There's so much. I could count far less after the turn of the millennium that I've loved. John Wick.. nuff said.

My ex brother in law is the type that feels anything older than 5-10 years is now old. He's pretty much the stereotypical millennial.

I got him to watch certain movies and he did enjoy them but at first he would look uncomfortable when he would notice the camera quality/way people dressed and looked and technology like computers back then. One time, my ex sister in law bought a super Nintendo at a local game shop and brought it over to my in-laws for the holidays and evryone was having a good time but he looked like he was seeing cave drawings!

He's a wrestling fan but if he saw that a match was from late 1999 or before, it had to be WrestleMania.

I hope he's a minority in that type!

When it comes to wrestling I wouldn't go out of my way to watch something old, not anymore. I feel like I've seen most of the big stuff WWE tells you to watch on every documentary and DVD. I don't go over the Network to watch old shows, I mainly use it for new stuff and live stuff. All other mediums such as music or movies or TV or books I have no quarrels for going back to look at. My favourite thing ever is LOTR and that was written in the 50's. My favourite music is generally Thrash from the 80's and 90's. It really just seems to be wrestling that I now just stick with newer stuff.

One time, my ex sister in law bought a super Nintendo at a local game shop and brought it over to my in-laws for the holidays and evryone was having a good time but he looked like he was seeing cave drawings!

Hell, I can specifically remember the days when Super NES consoles were considered cutting edge technology.

I use to love the Dukes of Hazard when I was like 3. Always called the General Lee the "Yee Haw Car" and my favorite Hot Wheel was a General Lee. Played with it so much that the wheels got super worn down to the point where it looked like it was driving on the rims XD. But in the current times, I wouldn't say that'd I'd go out of my way to watch anything from that far back. Some shows I'd prolly break down and binge if I was bored enough. I believe I Love Lucy and Happy Days were mentioned, but I couldn't guarantee it'd would have the same appeal as it did the last time I saw them.

Also I was born in 1989 but I'll fight a man who says they don't like M*A*S*H

Never liked MASH.

*slowly raises fists*

When it comes to wrestling I wouldn't go out of my way to watch something old, not anymore. I feel like I've seen most of the big stuff WWE tells you to watch on every documentary and DVD. I don't go over the Network to watch old shows, I mainly use it for new stuff and live stuff. All other mediums such as music or movies or TV or books I have no quarrels for going back to look at. My favourite thing ever is LOTR and that was written in the 50's. My favourite music is generally Thrash from the 80's and 90's. It really just seems to be wrestling that I now just stick with newer stuff.

I am like this as well. Wrestling is the only medium I cannot go back and watch old shows or PPVs. Just the odd match here and there. Like before a Rumble, Ill try and check out a few old Rumbles.

Archived