2017 Games of the Year and most anticipated 2018 games

God of Lightning

Well with 2017 out of the way, and any last minutes games played, I figured now'd be a remotely not terrible time to make this. So anyways, what are your

-Best

-Worst

-Whatever other category

games of last year.

-Persona 5

-Tales of Berseria

Honorable mention to Nier Automata which I didn't play enough of to this list

Best pre-2017 game:

-Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero

Worst:

-Fate Extella

Most Disappointing

-Digimon World Next Order

-LoZ Breath of the Wild

Best Character:

-Velvet Crowe

Yeah I didn't play much this year.

Most Anticipated:

-BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle

-Dragon Ball FighterZ

-Soul Caliber 6

-MHA One's Justice

-Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory

-Switch Tales game

Best:

Super Mario Odyssey

Zelda Breath of the Wild

Worst

Yooka Laylee (although i've heard its gotten better, gotta go back and check it out)

Mass Effect Andromeda

Most Anticipated

Red Dead Redemption 2

Kind of a weak year for games, IMO...but a lot to look forward to in the future. Also, I didn't personally play too much in terms of new releases, so I can't say things like Mario Odyssey or Assassin's Creed, simply because I haven't played them yet. I'm sure they belong on my "best" list, though...if I had. 2017 was spent backtracking and playing a lot of stuff that I missed in past years.

Best:

Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)

Ruiner (XB1, PS4, PC)

Cuphead (XB1, PC)

Worst: I really haven't bought or played a bad game since I was a kid. They're easy enough to avoid as an adult.

2018 Most Anticipated:

Last of Us 2

Kingdom Hearts 3 (if it ever gets a release date)

DragonBall FighterZ

Red Dead Redemption 2

Spider-Man

God of War

Not sure if I want to play this or not/"I don't even know what this is" category:

Death Stranding

Best of 2017: FIFA 18

Worst (most disappointing) : Personally I didn't find one - but then I've been mostly playing older games.

Most Anticipated: Detroit Become Human.

My game of the year was hard to choose but i went with Horizon over Breath of the Wild. Loved everything about Breath of the Wild but at the end of the day the final boss was a total letdown and there were only a few dungeons to explore and they were relatively easy to beat. Horizon on the other hand was the most beautiful game of the year, a ton of fun to play and the story was excellent. I'm getting into the DLC now after 50 hours and its still alot of fun to play.

As for most disappointing game Destiny 2 was a let down, they fixed alot about the game but they also made a ton of the same mistakes as they did in the first one which is just kind of a bummer. The gameplay is awesome still.

My most anticipated for 2018 is Red Dead Redemption and easily Red Dead Redemption 2.

Breath of the Wild as GotY is definitely something I question.

I think people just got caught up in it being such a new and different direction for the Zelda franchise, that they kinda made a bigger deal out of it than it warranted. Don't get me wrong...I do like BotW a lot. But, it's not even the best LoZ game, IMO...let alone, the best game that came out in 2017 entirely. It got repetitious kind of quickly. The lack of proper dungeons, the repetitious nature of clearing temples and map towers, etc. It had a lot of the same hangups that games in the Assassin's Creed series have, tbh. Great game...but I kinda feel like it won GotY in 2017 just because 2017 was a weak year for games.

Hell...if you pit BotW against something like Skyrim, even...I give Skyrim that win with ease. Obviously that is not a valid argument for the GotY debate. But, yeah...2017 was a weak year for games.

Breath of the Wild as GotY is definitely something I question.

I think people just got caught up in it being such a new and different direction for the Zelda franchise, that they kinda made a bigger deal out of it than it warranted. Don't get me wrong...I do like BotW a lot. But, it's not even the best LoZ game, IMO...let alone, the best game that came out in 2017 entirely. It got repetitious kind of quickly. The lack of proper dungeons, the repetitious nature of clearing temples and map towers, etc. It had a lot of the same hangups that games in the Assassin's Creed series have, tbh. Great game...but I kinda feel like it won GotY in 2017 just because 2017 was a weak year for games.

Hell...if you pit BotW against something like Skyrim, even...I give Skyrim that win with ease. Obviously that is not a valid argument for the GotY debate. But, yeah...2017 was a weak year for games.

It's rated by metacritic as the (joint) third best game of all time lol. I haven't played it but from what I've read - mainly the massive empty areas - it does seem really over rated and it gets a free pass to high ratings cuz Nintendo

Although with the first place being another Zelda game, that means you're right that it's "not the best Zelda game".

Maybe I should actually play a Zelda game huh? never have.

Also technically Skyrim is a 2017 game as well... cuz Switch

Best - Uncharted Lost Legacy or Fortnite Battle Royale. The latter for sheer joy I have playing it for countless hours and the former for an amazing story as per the norm with Uncharted.

Worst - Destiny 2 was god awful.

Most anticipated - RDR2 or The Last of Us 2 or Death Stranding even though those two probably wont come out next year/this year.

I think the portability aspect of BotW oversold people on it as well. If it ran exclusively on your television screen, just like any other home console game, I don't think it would necessarily be considered GotY either. It just had a lot in it's favor..."Oh wow, this is new and different for a LoZ game, and the graphics are crazy for a handheld system, and I can play Zelda while I take a shit..."

I think the portability aspect of BotW oversold people on it as well. If it ran exclusively on your television screen, just like any other home console game, I don't think it would necessarily be considered GotY either. It just had a lot in it's favor..."Oh wow, this is new and different for a LoZ game, and the graphics are crazy for a handheld system, and I can play Zelda while I take a shit..."

The Wii U version is only ranked 1 point below the Switch version

Open World is just one of the current buzzwords that gets everyone horny no matter how good the game is

The Wii U version is only ranked 1 point below the Switch version

Open World is just one of the current buzzwords that gets everyone horny no matter how good the game is

A point deduction is pretty serious, though. For all intents and purposes, let's just acknowledge that it was definitely the Switch version that won GotY. They might not say as much, but that's the state of things...for sure.

I would say Horizon Zero Dawn, but there's a couple small issues I have with the game that just slightly push it out of reach for that. Like the *censored*ing camera. Whatever dipshit over there thought that was a good idea should be shot out of a cannon.

Based on only what I've played of course. Didn't really play bad games tbh but I have a few I was disappointed in.

Best:

-Mario Odyssey, LoZ: Breath of the Wild, Friday the 13th, Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Despite the dumbshit its really good)

Disappointed:

- Horizon Zero Dawn - just didn't hold my interest and had to force myself to finish it. It could be because I've been so backlogged that maybe I couldn't allow myself to enjoy it. It was a solid game with a decent story and good graphics though.

- GR Wildlands - I enjoyed it for a bit but ran into the issue I had with Horizon. Backlogged and lack of time to really put into it.

- Resident Evil 7 - It's a love hate thing. I like that it's different and the gameplay is solid but it's not what I want in a Resident Evil game going forward which is probably wishful thinking.

Most Anticipated:

- Far Cry 5, RDR 2, TLOU 2, Dragonball FighterZ, and hopefully Resident Evil 2 Remake at some point.

I take back not being disappointed or having a worst game. Just remembered Mass Effect Andromeda and so I have to name that one. I like it and especially after patches but it's just not amazing like I was expecting it to be and got rid of it much sooner than I thought I would.

Assassin's Creed Origins and Star Wars Battlefront 2 are still my GOTY but I have honorable mentions such as...

Friday the 13th

Cuphead

Injustice 2

WWE 2K18(major flaws but still have plenty of goods)

I'm mixed on Madden NFL 18, a game just there I guess

Based on only what I've played of course. Didn't really play bad games tbh but I have a few I was disappointed in.

Best:

-Mario Odyssey, LoZ: Breath of the Wild, Friday the 13th, Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Despite the dumbshit its really good)

Disappointed:

- Horizon Zero Dawn - just didn't hold my interest and had to force myself to finish it. It could be because I've been so backlogged that maybe I couldn't allow myself to enjoy it. It was a solid game with a decent story and good graphics though.

- GR Wildlands - I enjoyed it for a bit but ran into the issue I had with Horizon. Backlogged and lack of time to really put into it.

- Resident Evil 7 - It's a love hate thing. I like that it's different and the gameplay is solid but it's not what I want in a Resident Evil game going forward which is probably wishful thinking.

Most Anticipated:

- Far Cry 5, RDR 2, TLOU 2, Dragonball FighterZ, and hopefully Resident Evil 2 Remake at some point.

Battlefront 2 IS stellar, its easily the Star Wars game that has come closest to making me feel like i'm in that universe. Story was a bit lackluster but the multiplayer is incredible.

My GOTY: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Close Second: Horizon Zero Dawn

Not too Far Behind: Resident Evil VII

Worst Game I Played: WWE 2K18 (Nintendo Switch) Too many problems to mention. The game is totally broken.

Cant wait for: Red Dead Redemption 2

This one's tough for me considering I'm still playing No Mercy and other games from 20 years ago. To be honest the only games that came in in 17 that I've played are WWE 2k18, Fire Pro Wrestling World, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Uncharted Lost Legacy.

My game of the year would have to go to Fire Pro only because I spent a number of hours on it and had some fun times.

As for slightly disappointing I will say Horizon and Uncharted Lost Legacy because both get repetitive and or become tedious at a certain point.

As for most anticipating I think there is no doubt, it's Red Dead Redemption 2, pretty much the overwhelming reason why I decided to get an current gen system.

Best:

Disappointed:

Most Anticipated:

Battlefront 2 IS stellar, its easily the Star Wars game that has come closest to making me feel like i'm in that universe. Story was a bit lackluster but the multiplayer is incredible.

I agree. I've had nothing but a great time playing every part of it. It's really an amazing game plagued by tomfoolery.

Me and a buddy actually played split screen arcade the other day against the a.i. and just destroyed them with the Sith heroes. We even did a few on one hit kills for both sides and had a blast. Kinda made me feel like a kid playing an older game. It's actually impressive just seeing it side by side with BFront 1. The additions to attacks, animations and models are truly noticeable.

Archived